Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2018, 07:54 AM   #81
terry22 is offline terry22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
@terry22,

I did not compare them on the Katana. I'm not sure that Ian made the appropriate channels bi-directional as needed by the Katana. I'll check.
Thank you Greg.
I think isolatorPi has an option to work in Master mode
"Bi-directional architecture works with audio cards in both slave clock and master clock modes."
Old 5th December 2018, 03:15 PM   #82
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@terry22,

LOL, I knew about the I2S being setup with bi-directional lines to support slave and master modes. Heck, I helped edit the User's Guide for the IsolatorPi!

BUT what I don't know if the appropriate GPIO for I2C are bi-directional. That's what the Katana needs for communication between the driver and the microprocessor board and what I need to confirm.

I DO like that the IsolatorPi (like the original Allo Isolator, but NOT Allo's new Isolator) can be powered separately. I have found that to provide subtle positive benefits. But one can't have EVERYTHING!

In other Katana news I'm finalizing the modified Jameco 5V and 12V units for trials powering both the Katana 5V lines and the 5V inputs into the IsolatorPi and Kali under the Ian's ES9028Q2M stack. I also did the first power-ups on the 325F Ultracap supplies for 5V use, along with an alternative on-board regulator for Ian's DAC board. Should be listening in the next few days & have some fun with all that.

I also realized I can use a pair of the 12V Jameco for feeding either my DIY'd +-15V regulator HAT OR +-15V into the Katana directly. The raw DC from those units is about 19V, plenty of headroom for the Sparkos regulators I used. AND I believe (but haven't confirmed) that the regulators they use in those units are adjustable. Once I do that, I'll setup another modifed pair to output both the raw 19VDC and either the required +-15VDC from the on-board regulators or the same voltages via a separate regulator board (I have a Twisted Pear Low-Current Bipolar Power Supply here I can use). SO another option to try AFTER I get another couple of those from Jameco.

BUT while I was upstairs (the system I'm doing this listening in is my larger system in a dedicated room), I started listening to my benchmark Katana setup... AND started getting lost in the music again, listening to a couple of songs, realizing something else I wanted to hear, adding that to the playlist, rinse, repeat... until I was up there about an hour longer than I planned.

Really grooving on that setup!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 5th December 2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 5th December 2018, 03:53 PM   #83
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
BUT what I don't know if the appropriate GPIO for I2C are bi-directional. That's what the Katana needs for communication between the driver and the microprocessor board and what I need to confirm.
In order for I2C to go through an isolator at all, the isolator must be bi-directional. So, if I2C works with one HAT, it will work with any HAT, regardless of master or slave mode.
Old 5th December 2018, 08:39 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
What is your favorite filter for Katana?
Old 6th December 2018, 02:41 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

@terry22,

Early on I settled on the minimum phase slow roll-off. I really need to try them all again, but that's what I've been using for awhile. I did re-test the different filter options several times during the evolution of the Katana, but I did not re-test with the last couple of iterations.

Listening to the Katana with some alternative supplies tonight. Not sufficient break-in or listening time to report any findings, but some interesting and promising results so far. I suspect I will be able to report on a good lower-cost (but not universal) power option. AND 2 potentially better power options have not wowed me yet, though are not bad.

More after a few days of on-time and some time for dedicated listening.

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 6th December 2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 03:06 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

@DimDim,

What you said makes perfect sense. I honestly don't know enough about I2C to comment intelligently. I was just repeating what Cdsgames said in post # 2012 in the main Allo thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Both isolators will be available. Old isolator will not work with Katana due to some changes in the i2c (before was unidirectional now its bi)

New isolator , that I am testing presently , will be available in 1 week. It was designed for 2 things...Katana and Boss only.The fact that we dont have to make it compatible with everything out there , made it for a very elegant layout . <SNIP>
Ioan, I'll contact you offline and Ian too to understand if the lines you mention are working the same way on Ian's isolator as yours.

Greg in Mississippi
Old 6th December 2018, 06:54 AM   #87
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Just got the best out of Katana I have ever heard from it, and the good news is that the power supplies to do it are surprising low cost. More info here and in the post above it: ES9038Q2M Board
Old 6th December 2018, 08:14 AM   #88
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

I see that you are using film caps ,that could indicate that there was some noise on the dual rail 15V ..?
Old 6th December 2018, 01:26 PM   #89
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

That or maybe output impedance too high over much of the audio band. The regulators in the power supply I used are not all that fast. They rely on output filter caps to help transient response. But electrolytic output caps may have some dielectric absorption that affects step transient power supply performance. The file caps I used don't have that same type of characteristic.
Old 6th December 2018, 03:40 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Hi,
For low cost +-15v psu,
Do you think one of these boards will be good for powering katana output stage?

Regulated linear supply Module OP TL072 MJE15034 28V - Audiophonics

HiFi High Speed Power Supply Output Ultra Low Noise Linear Regulator Power Core Power Supply For Preamplifier DAC

HIFI DAC Power Board Fever DAC Power Supply Board + 12V 5V replace LT1963AEQ module

Thank you for sharing if you have experience with one of them.

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...Hide this!Advertise here!