Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2020, 03:18 PM   #431
BGSputnik is offline BGSputnik  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpeter View Post
Hi,

This review has the information that KATANA sounds better without an isolator. Can you confirm or deny it ?
https://darko.audio/2019/09/allos-katana-player-shanti-power-supply/

Does anyone know why KATANA is not available on Allo.com ?

Hi I was wondering the same thing, why is KATANA not available on their website. I noticed that you posted this already last year and nothing has changed.
I wrote to them but received no reply.
Anybody has any idea and suggestion where to actually buy ?
Old 12th March 2020, 04:09 PM   #432
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSputnik View Post
Hi I was wondering the same thing, why is KATANA not available on their website. I noticed that you posted this already last year and nothing has changed.
I wrote to them but received no reply.
Anybody has any idea and suggestion where to actually buy ?
Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A
Old 12th March 2020, 04:54 PM   #433
diyAudio Member

Hi I am planning to build my own PSU for the DAC (connected to Pi3B). Possibly using the LT3042 on the positive rail to the OpAmps. My Question is this: I am planning to use batteries to feed into the linear power supply and when the batteries are getting low to switch to a second pack while charging the first ones. When I look at the specs of the LT3042 with 0.8uV ripple I wonder if the solution with the batteries with all its controls and charging technologies is actually providing any enhancement. I would achieve decoupling for the Mains but does that really reduce noise to the DACs when I use such a good control chip (LT3042) ?
Old 12th March 2020, 05:52 PM   #434
misterdog is offline misterdog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Shanti claims noise of 0.08 uV and costs less than you would pay for parts. Super caps on the output and very low impedance.

Shanti Dual Linear Ultra Low Noise PSU
Old 15th March 2020, 07:14 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Default Allo Revolution power requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
@altsouza,

You are very welcome. By going to a 4-supply setup with your Katana, you now have some seriously good sound... as good as a Katana is with a 2-supply setup, in my experience there is a very large jump when you go 4-supply with good +-15V supplies. Pity that most Katana users won't ever experience this level of goodness!

Allo's Revolution is a USB-input DAC and not at all compatible or interchangeable with the Katana. Will it be better? Allo learned a lot of new tricks in developing the Katana and has added a number of additional tricks since and will apply them liberally on the Revolution. BUT the Revolution will have less flexibility in providing it good power. AND it will be a significantly less expensive DAC, which tells you a bit about how Allo is positioning it.

AND of course, the quality of your USB source will matter too, just as RPi power and your operating conditions matter. The Revolution will be a natural mate to Allo's new USBBridge Signature... which should also work VERY well under a Katana. I have a couple of RPi 2B's that I've modified to replace the on-board DC-DC converters for the 3.3V and 1.8V and they are a significant jump in SQ over an unmodified RPi when used as an I2S source. I suspect the USBBridge Signature might be as large of a jump over my modified RPis.

Allo did answer the same question in the larger Shanti / Revolution thread:

I really can't add anymore to what he said!

Greg in Mississippi

Hello Greg,
I am in the midst of designing my streamer and initially thought of using the Katana board. However since the Revolution seems to be around the corner I decided to wait and focus on the power supply development for the time being.
Could you share with us what power requirements the Revolution board will likely need (voltages, and currents)?
Could you share with us when the board will be likely available ?

Highly appreciated, Bjoern
Old 15th March 2020, 11:11 PM   #436
misterdog is offline misterdog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Rev will come in a alu box with oled screen.Psu , remote and cable will be sold separately.
Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A This is also the Revolution thread.

Allo claim their Shanti LPSU is only a shade better than their SMPS. The Shanti is very good, I have one.

IIRC Allo have said the only power for the Revolution DAC is 1x 5V supply.

As I see it Allo have designed it as a plug and play USB DAC rather than aiming at the DIY sector.
Old 6th April 2020, 10:10 PM   #437
sp33ls is offline sp33ls
diyAudio Member

I'm assuming that the Katana would still be a notch above the Revolution tho?
Old 6th April 2020, 10:37 PM   #438
wannarock2 is online now wannarock2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33ls View Post
I'm assuming that the Katana would still be a notch above the Revolution tho?
See link

cdsgames is in the know. I just hope that in the future Allo will offer the kit of materials for the new Rev for Wifi, Volumio ... well exactly like Katana
Old 16th May 2020, 11:06 PM   #439
wannarock2 is online now wannarock2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarock2 View Post
See link

cdsgames is in the know. I just hope that in the future Allo will offer the kit of materials for the new Rev for Wifi, Volumio ... well exactly like Katana
so, i think iím just now catching up ..
the next Allo premium streaming arrangement would be ..?
USBridge Signature Player <> Shanti <> Revolution DAC
Old 16th May 2020, 11:49 PM   #440
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have a USBridge Signature running Ropieee (Roon endpoint) and a Shanti supply. Quite pleased with overall performance with a Topping DX7s Dac.

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...Hide this!Advertise here!