Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2019, 11:32 PM   #201
Jonathan P is offline Jonathan P
diyAudio Member

@Markw4, Not sure it's doable but what about reverse engineering such filters from a 10 000$ DAC from Ayre for example?
Old 17th January 2019, 12:04 AM   #202
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

The filter coefficients and number of taps is not the hard part.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:47 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

@Markw4,
All right. I did some basic digital circuit design and FPGA flashing back in University but in terms of DAC interpolation filter design, you lost me already...
So I guess I'll sit tight and hope you get the chance to work on that someday

In the meantime, I'll focus on getting some decent PSU according to Greg's "audio friend"'s setup.
@Greg,
Would you mind, if you have the info, specifying the exact models of toro transformers he used for:
  • Katana/MC
  • OPAMP Output Stage
Antek have like 20+ variations of 50VA transformers on their site.

For the output stage, I'm considering another option:
Twistead Pear's toroidal transfo 15V+15V (50VA) Power Transformer
I would have expected > 15V in order to get the final 15V out of the Placid HD BP 2.1 but if I understand correctly, it is meant to be used with it so I guess it's fine?
Any opinion how its performance would compare to your friend's Antek transfo?

Thanks!
Old 17th January 2019, 04:52 PM   #204
jrocker is offline jrocker
diyAudio Member

Jonathan P:

This one is easy. For the opamp output stage and the TP Placid HDPS, TP specifies and sells a 50VA unit from Avel, model Y236203, see: http://www.avellindberg.com/pdf/avel_y23_range.pdf. The price is $27.

The Antek unit is basically spec'd the same, see:AS-0515 - 50VA 15V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp, but it also has an electrostatic shield. The price is $17.50.

"Audio Friend" called out the electrostatic shield. That was the rational. Digital on one side and the TP HDBP supply on the other supplying the analog output stage. If you need it, great. If not, well - my experience is they sound the same.

As to the cost difference, there's shipping to be considered too. You can combine shipping with TP - the Avel unit and the Placid HDBP supply. So, pretty close.

As to the Kantana DAC board and the micro controller, each using half of the DIYINHK LT3042 regulator board - the board can be configured for either 3.3 or 5 or 7 volts. Obviously, the application here is 5 volts. There's some writing on the board that states a range for the AC input as I recall. Basically, if you're too high, you generate some more heat in the regulator. If you're too low, you drop out of regulation. But, there's not much current here - something like 20mA for the micro controller when the +/-15 is supplied externally, and 165mA at startup and 80-100mA for the DAC when music is playing (those numbers from the Allo spec sheet doc). So, even if you have an extra volt - that's 0.02 and 0.165 watts respectively under worse case conditions. Power dissipation is more steady state though...

It is an LDO reg too. And, this is the low noise application... And, with a 50VA transformer the secondary voltage is going to float a little high due to the light load.

6+6 will work or 7+7 allowing for some other application for the supply in the future. Antek is you're friend again, or even Avel. There's nothing really magic here. All of these toroids are machine wound. Again, they sound the same IME.

Here's a treatment of the tradeoffs from an engineering perspective:

Dimdim's Blog | DIY Audio, Arduino, Computers, Music

There's some margin of error and some guess work involved. From the perspective you're in, at least. So, that's what to pick and a source or two.

It appears was though I may have gone to talking down to you. Please don't take it that way - just trying to help and answer your questions throughly.

Last edited by jrocker; 17th January 2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:35 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

@jrocker, Thanks for your answers!

Greg already gave some hints about soldering quality and all but I'm wondering what you guys use in terms of:
  • Solder diameter for assembling the Placid HD BP 2.1
  • Solder + flux paste or flux core solder
  • Wire gauge for connecting power directly to katana, MC, RPI
Old 19th January 2019, 04:57 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
Wondering if any of you have tested the XLR output on the Katana.
I figured it would be smart to take advantage of the balanced input on my amp if I understand correctly, the Katana XLR output is not truly balanced?

@Markw4 suggested a simple circuit to balance the output but I wonder if adding this circuit would make it worth to use over RCA?

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
Old 19th January 2019, 05:24 AM   #207
Indiglo is offline Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

@Jonathan P
For the DIYers it will be easier using standard 60/40 with rosin flux will suffice. No need for fancy audiophile solder.

Go for the smaller diameter stuff 0.3mm to 0.5mm as it will less likely to blob whilst feeding it onto the joint.
Old 19th January 2019, 05:28 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
@Jonathan P
For the DIYers it will be easier using standard 60/40 with rosin flux will suffice. No need for fancy audiophile solder.

Go for the smaller diameter stuff 0.3mm to 0.5mm as it will less likely to blob whilst feeding it onto the joint.
Thanks Indiglo!
And regarding the iron temperature, does that depend more on the solder type or on the sensibility of the part to solder?
Old 19th January 2019, 05:39 AM   #209
Indiglo is offline Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

A bit of both.
Leadfree alloy solders have a higher melting point so require a hotter iron.
Components like PCB mounted sockets tend to soak up the heat so you need to crank up the heat a bit. The Soldering Iron tip shape and diameter also plays a part.
Old 19th January 2019, 05:54 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

@Indiglo, Good to know. Thanks.

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...Hide this!Advertise here!