Inexpensive spdif in 96/24 USB capture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a simple and inexpensive 96/24 USB capture device? I don't mind modifying it a little if it is tweakable.

What I need is a usb (laptop) capture for either line level and/or spdif input that can handle 96/24.

I am going to start recording vinyl and after much messing around with digital, I have found 96/24 to be perfectly acceptable for this. I also have a 96/24 ADC (PCM1802) which outputs spdif, so that is an option. I have basic capture software already too - Audacity 1.2.

I have seen this device for roughly US$40 - an MTSN MT2 but can't find any chipset info. It only says dual core ARM 32 bit + DSP.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

??MT2 USB??????????????K????? ??ASIO-???

The Asus Xonar U7 looks interesting (CM6632) and the limit of my budget, but experience with their products/drivers tells me its recording capabilities may not match its playback ones.

Last edited:
Also be careful with Audacity. It's not easy to get it to record in 24 bits.

Qualifier ....It's not easy to get it to record in 24 bits using Windows O/S

It works fine at 24bit in Linux.

I second the M-Audio.. I have both a PC-card and external Firewire '24/96 Audiophile' devices.
The firewire being so outdated an interface you can pick them up for peanuts and an old dual-core laptop for the same.

Currently I'm using a HP thinclient 5740 with the add-on expansion and a M-audio 24/96 card and Ubuntu Studio with only the audio option installed. Works fine as a dedicated recorder for LP's .

Thanks for the heads up re Audacity. I should be able to tell if its 16 or 24 bit from the WAV file size.

I don't want to hunt for a used product but happily found MiniDSP do two products with spdif in for audio capture through USB - the mini streamer 96/24 for US$35 and an XMOS for $95.

I also found someone in China who will modify XMOS firmware so I'll ask if they'll do an "I2S in" and "spdif in" one for me - they are asking US$25.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.