Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Connecting a USB DAC to a Smartphone
Connecting a USB DAC to a Smartphone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2018, 09:12 PM   #1
spaceman5 is offline spaceman5  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Connecting a USB DAC to a Smartphone

Hi
I've stumbled upon this picture today:

Click the image to open in full size.

In it, we can see a SMSL M3 DAC (based on CS4398). In this picture it is powered by a Power Bank, and inputted by a Smartphone. The thing that surprises me here, is that when you want to connect a USB Device to a Smartphone, you need to use a USB OTG adapter. But here, we see a USB cable.

So does it mean that this is not a simple USB cable, but an OTG Cable? Or, can a DAC (and generally USB Devices) be connected to a phone without an OTG Adapter, and simply via any cable? I hope anyone tried it and knows the answer

Thank you

Last edited by spaceman5; 26th October 2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 27th October 2018, 04:54 AM   #2
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Lots of in but no out ....

A marketing picture for an app?

You have any links ?
Old 27th October 2018, 06:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
There is an out too, headphones are connected to the Headphones Out on the front..
Quote:
A marketing picture for the DAC
Quote:
You have any links ?
Yes: Shenzhen ShuangMuSanLin Electronic Co., Ltd.
Old 27th October 2018, 07:23 AM   #4
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
it has a 24 bit/192 kHz sample rate via optical and coaxial, and a 24 bit/96 kHz sample rate via USB.
Usb 1.1 ?? "max 24 bit/96 kHz " vs spdif @24 bit/192 kHz !!!
Any usb dac worth it's salt would outstrip spdif ...

Last edited by DRONE7; 27th October 2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 27th October 2018, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Usb 1.1 ?? "max 24 bit/96 kHz " vs spdif @24 bit/192 kHz !!!
Interesting, I did not notice it..

This mostlikely due to using a SA9023 USB chip. SaviAudio

It is one of the most common USB Chips, you see it a lot in the SA9023+ES9018K2M combination.

The reason it's so commonly used, is because it is supported not just by computers, but also by older smartphones. I assume that's why the chose it, and not a newer USB chip.

BTW, note that in many cases, for most sources, 48KHz should suffice, and above that will not gain any improvement in sound, so the chase for a higher parameters (bit Rate, Sample Rate) will not produce any audible result.

So the fact that on USB you will get max of 96KHz should not be a disadvantage here.

(and in any case, if someone so really needs 192KHz, and will actually hear a difference by using it, he can connect a USB-to-Optical adapter to his computer, and then connect to this DAC using an optical cable.. thus getting even a complete electric isolation between his computer and his audio components)

Last edited by spaceman5; 27th October 2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 27th October 2018, 09:06 PM   #6
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You have any links ?
Both devices are USB slave devices so I don't think they will talk to each other. One needs to be a master like your pc is.
I have done a bit with USB on USB scopes and USB LC meters so know enough for that.
Old 28th October 2018, 08:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Both devices are USB slave devices so I don't think they will talk to each other.
A smartphone can be both a Slave or a Master device.

By default, it is a Slave, so when you connect it to a computer, the computer is the host.

But if the smartphone's USB port supports OTG (most smartphones from the last 5 years support OTG), and you use an OTG Cable, then the smartphone can be a host, instead of a device (slave). So then, with the OTG cable, you can connect USB Slave devices (e.g. a USB Flash Drive, an Audio Profile USB Device, etc.) to it.

BTW, the answer to my original question here, is that the cable is USB-C. In USB-C, things work differently than before: there's no more a need to use a USB OTG cable in order to connect slave devices to the phone. It is a feature of USB-C, that prevents the need for a special cable for such a situation.

More info about USB-C and the no-need for OTG cable can be read here: http://www.ti.com/lit/wp/slly017/slly017.pdf
Old 28th October 2018, 08:28 PM   #8
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. Its amazing how things move on.

Connecting a USB DAC to a SmartphoneHide this!Advertise here!