Does overclocking help Netflix playback?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently building an i5 8600k coffelake computer and i plan to mess around with overclocking for a bit of fun-does this improve your frame rate in netflix? I'm not a gamer but im curious to see what it could do with the 4k uhd playback side of things also with something like the Jriver media centre program-anyone experimented along these lines?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Generally with HTPC's you want a video card (or onboard graphics) that does all of the video processing itself. I only play HD 1080p on my machine but it uses something like 6% CPU tops when playing back that HD and the processor is actually running in low performance mode whilst doing so (ie underclocked).

IF you don't have HW decode in your graphics card/chip then you may get advantages with an overclocked CPU, but I would recommend HW decode over brute force CPU.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.