Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Best solution for lossles Wi-Fi music streaming
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2018, 06:27 AM   #1
Windforce85 is offline Windforce85  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default Best solution for lossles Wi-Fi music streaming

I am looking for a device which can do following things:

- Creates its own Wi-Fi network, tablets/smartphones/home network router can connect to it without hassle.
- Reads and plays audio content from most popular web streaming services or internal memory of tablet/smarphone/USB input/SDcard dock built-in.
- Can stream lossless audio using AirPlay/DLNA protocol.
- Can be seen in Android/iOS devices as "network player" or "wireless loudspeaker" etc.
- Can also have AptX Bluetooth connectivity but only as an emergency.
- Converts received audio to I2S/SPDIF digital format without internal D/A conversion.
- It is easy to set-up and use.
- It need to be CHEAP. Just simple PCB module or plastic box. I am not interested in 'Audiophile' magic boxes which cost fortune.

Sometimes such a devices can be seen on popular webshops but I am concerned becouse their life cycle is extremely short and companies producing them are showing up and disappear so it is a real mess in this regard.

For being certain, I don't want:

- Devices with analog output only.
- Bluetooth-only devices.
- Devices which rebuild and compress audio stream.
- HDMI or TV boxes, I don't understand how to handle HDMI interface as digital audio input.

It would be great you guys could help me to clarify the thing and to find good solution. Thanks for all help. I am sorry but I've got headache from never-ending searching and reading about these all wireless streamers.
Old 24th September 2018, 03:03 PM   #2
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

I think your first item
- Creates its own Wi-Fi network, tablets/smartphones/home network router can connect to it without hassle.

is a non starter.

These days, I think its pretty easy for a device to make its own wifi network, but it won't connect to your existing network. Two different networks won't connect. I'd advice connecting it to your existing wifi, almost everything out there will want to connect to your router, and as long as your phones and devices are also connected they can all talk.

And this is just my opinion, looks like a pretty long list, good luck with your search.

Randy
Old 24th September 2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've owned a couple of WIFI DACs that had digital and analog outputs. They did not create their own local WIFI network, tho. I seem to recall try that with settings in the computer - just point to point. I don't see it as important. Also had the Logitech thing, that wasn't really designed to be a passive end point, but could be used that way.

Let us know what you find. There are more and more cool products on the market. There is even lossless Bluetooth, I think.
Old 24th September 2018, 03:47 PM   #4
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Any linux computer can connect to the existing network via cable/second wireless card and create its own wireless hot spot - just like android/iOS devices do.
Old 24th September 2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Windforce85 is offline Windforce85  Poland
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the input. I've already figured out two interesting devices:

SoundStream - iEAST looks 'professional' on paper, it has its own dedicated app but the device is somewhat pricey.

Streaming box Renkforce renkCast Musik AirPlay, DLNA from Conrad Electronic UK by now this is my favourite, it can read files from pendrive, but "Renkforce" company standing behind it is unknown. It seems that remaining stock is limited. Another OEM chinese module put into random box?

Lossless Bluetooth does not exist for this time. In order to reach sufficient audio qualities you need to have AptX protocol support in your mobile device which is not always obvious. Airplay IS lossless. It streams audio "as is", leaving conversion duties for DAC. You can throw in FLAC, AAC, WAV, everything goes as is. As far as I know...

Last edited by Windforce85; 24th September 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 24th September 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

I built a airplay dac last year with a pi and a dac hat. If your houselhold is iphone/ios based like mine is, airplay works well.
This dac is connected to a powered speaker, making a wireless speaker that sounds much better than what I could have purchased for the price.
I also just bought a little tp link blue tooth receiver, its connected to my family room HT setup. I don't use either one for real critical listening, but they work well for background music and the rest of the family
Old 24th September 2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Sonos Connect might work for you. No Wifi access point, no bluetooth. But it has most of the audio features you want. You'll need a jitter filter like iFi on the digital output for audiophile use, but the analog outs actually sound very good for a consumer player. It plays everything from anywhere. Even ADC for your analog sources.

You could add eeros WiFi system to get the WiFi you want. It is also excellent and relatively cheap.
Old 24th September 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe not 100% lossless but I read that the APTX version is darn close and highly regarded - I have not done any tests myself.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th September 2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Neil Davis is offline Neil Davis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windforce85 View Post
SoundStream - iEAST looks 'professional' on paper, it has its own dedicated app but the device is somewhat pricey.
The iEAST products appear to be based on the Linkplay A28 modules. The SoundStream product is comparable to the Dayton WFA28. I downloaded their app and it works with the Dayton WFA02 and WFA28 boxes that I have.

These are nice products, and they do most if not all of what you are looking for. See this page for a partial list of products that use these modules: Products Powered by Linkplay | LinkPlay

The modules implement a mesh router, which means that each box has its own access point that extends your own WiFi network. The modules work well as long as you have a modern router and well behaved equipment on your network. They do most of what Sonos and Heos do, but they are more "open" and more DIY-friendly. You can buy the just the modules at Parts Express for $25. I've got some boards with the A28 module and an ADAU1701 DSP, but I haven't built them up or tested them yet.
Old 25th September 2018, 02:13 AM   #10
wtnh is offline wtnh  United States
diyAudio Member

You seem to have some conflicting (or at least challenging) requirements, but I think you could achieve most of your needs by using a Raspberry Pi and a "hat" with SPDF outputs like an Allo DigiOne. You would then need to choose some software to run it. A lot of what you want is available in piCorePlayer 4.0, which can be set up as a wifi hotspot (or just join to a network). See this link.

The website is here.

Good luck!

Cheers

Whit

Last edited by wtnh; 25th September 2018 at 02:37 AM.

Best solution for lossles Wi-Fi music streamingHide this!Advertise here!