Where can I buy a USB Sabre DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Lately, I decided to try DACs from different companies.. I also want to include in my tests a Sabre DAC..

In ESS's website, it seems that all their DAC chips expect to communicate in I2S, and unlike other companies that create DACs, they don't have some chips that include a USB controller built-in (so the chip would be a USB Controller + DAC).

Can anyone please recommend me of a DAC Product or Board that is Sabre based, and has USB connectivity? (and hopefully in a reasonable price also)

Alternatively, Is there some way to get a USB<->I2S board, which can then be connected to any DAC that expects I2S? (do all DACs that expect I2S communicate the same way over I2S, or it changes. If it changes, then it makes this second question irrelevant..)

Thank you very much

Great, I will check these 2, thank you very much.

BTW,
from what I read in ESS's website,
ES9018K2M is the 2-Channel version of ES9018 (which is 8-Ch).

So in that case,
What is the difference between ES9023 (which is Stereo) and ES9018K2M (which as we've seen is also Stereo)?

From ESS's website it's quite hard to see any difference..

Hi DPH

thank you for your answer..

Do you maybe have a link to what you bought?

And btw:
you wrote:
>and modify it

What do you mean?

If you do a search for "es9018k2m USB" on eBay, you'll find several vendors. Not sure which one I picked (I'm at work). These boards are all powered by the USB, so getting off of that plus tapping the inputs for a I/V like the one "vicnic" described will benefit you handsomely.

edit: Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC

Similarly, you can work with the 9028q2m or 9038q2m boards. They're all quite solid.

Last edited:
So in that case,
What is the difference between ES9023 (which is Stereo) and ES9018K2M (which as we've seen is also Stereo)?

I've not seen the DS for ES9018K2M but in my understanding that's not a complete solution in that it needs an output stage (normally some opamps implementing a differential-SE filter) and power supply to create a complete DAC. ES9023 on the other hand already has the necessary opamps built in along with a power supply for them.

I've not seen the DS for ES9018K2M but in my understanding that's not a complete solution in that it needs an output stage (normally some opamps implementing a differential-SE filter) and power supply to create a complete DAC. ES9023 on the other hand already has the necessary opamps built in along with a power supply for them.

And a charge pump to create a ground-centered output (the ES9023), ostensibly eliminating the need for AC coupling.

Yes - that's what I was referring to when I wrote '... along with a power supply for them' of the opamps.

Should I conclude from these 3 posts that I should get the ES9023, and not on the ES9018K2M?

That depends on how much you care about how the DAC sounds.
That's the most important thing for me :)
That's why I am buying several different DACs..

The ES9018K2M can sound quite dynamic in a reasonable implementation
but to my ears the ES9023 is the epitome of boredom even with attention paid to its power supply.
Wow..
So from these 2 options the ES9018K2M sounds better,
and the ES9023 is lifeless relative to it?
Hmm, good to know

BTW, do ESS have more Stereo DACs to consider from, or just these 2?

I only need stereo, I don't have any 8-Ch setting or something like that..

One of my mobile phones (that I no longer use) has ES9018K2M and apart from the higher frequencies (which to my ears sound too mushy), its quite enjoyable when fed into an external amp, i.e. used as a DAC.

ESS has more modern DACs than those two which are getting a bit long in the tooth now. ES9038 (more than one variant, -Q2M is probably the one most of interest to you) is the most recent and I believe it fixes up at least some of the 'mushiness' on HF. So I'd guess its going to sound better than '9018 all other things being equal.

One of my mobile phones (that I no longer use) has ES9018K2M and apart from the higher frequencies (which to my ears sound too mushy), its quite enjoyable when fed into an external amp, i.e. used as a DAC.
A phone that has a dedicated DAC chip? That's interesting..
What phone is that?

ESS has more modern DACs than those two which are getting a bit long in the tooth now. ES9038 (more than one variant, -Q2M is probably the one most of interest to you) is the most recent and I believe it fixes up at least some of the 'mushiness' on HF. So I'd guess its going to sound better than '9018 all other things being equal.
I see..
BTW, another thing that was hard to understand from ESS's website,
is what is the difference between K2M, Q2M, and C2M?

Last edited:
Its a Meizu MX4 pro. The only reason I stopped using it is its battery died and as its non-replaceable, I had to get a complete new phone.

Seriously if you're primarily after the best sound, I'd give ESS a miss and get yourself something like this eBay board which is based on a classic multibit chip. That is assuming you mostly listen to red-book CD-format music (16bit) : Philips Little Giant TDA1387 hum decoding (nos mode) (upgrade tda1541) | eBay

Its not that ESS makes poor-sounding DACs, I'm sure the ES9038 can sound great, its just that is so hard to find a board which makes the best of it. As for my suggestion, @matt_garman reckons it sounds great : tda1387 dac pcb "front end". Added to that its bound to be eminently moddable...

I forgot to mention, if you have access to Taobao its considerably cheaper there : ???TDA1387?????nos??????tda1541?-???

Last edited:
I didn't explain myself particularly well. Yes its non-replaceable by the user but I'm a techie guy, replacing a battery wouldn't faze me. However they no longer make that particular physical size of battery as the phone's too old.

As regards where we stop - I've stopped at RBCD. I have no desire for 'hi-res' or any of the other fancy stuff (DSD512). RBCD replay on my multibit DAC is immensely satisfying so I feel no pull to upgrade, only buy more and more music.

Fever-level Class seems like a mis-translation to English.

You can ask 10 people a subjective opinion about anything audio and expect to get 100 opinions. Take anyone's impression with an healthy amount of incredulity. You'll find one member (ahem) has a long litany of quirks and impressions that he spreads around especially to impressionable new members, but doesn't really like to back those up with any substance. Good luck. :)

The options never end -- the es9023 is *probably* going to give you a better chance of a decently working end part. The es9018k2m boards badly load the DAC with a buffer (rather than a transimpedance stage), and gives you an inferior end result. With a transimpedance stage (like the one I linked with data from vicnic), the es9018k2m will certainly outperform the es9023.

For someone starting out, I'd suggest the es9023.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.