Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Best crossover solution for 2.1 from PC with tpa3255?
Best crossover solution for 2.1 from PC with tpa3255?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2018, 03:31 AM   #11
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

You can use a 5.1 or 7.1 sound "card", and connect your sub to the ".1" output... You do not really need to use the crossover in the sub.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:08 PM   #12
earsofgold is offline earsofgold
diyAudio Member

I just spent 300 bucks on a pro soundcard for music production, I can't use some crappy high-latency 5.1 card.

Not trying to be difficult, I just can't believe Shenzen isn't all over this with $10 crossover boards!

Thanks for the replies all, I'm looking into minidsp or freedsp. Seems like a lot of effort when lots of cheap amps have 2.1, but all the home subs are self-powered, I haven't seen passive home ones, only car enclosures. Hmm. Anyway I'm sure a minidsp will come in handy later anyway.

Last edited by earsofgold; 14th August 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 14th August 2018, 01:00 PM   #13
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hmm... by 6i6 specs, there are four outputs (+ headphone output) to use ... why not just use one of those output ports for sub ... .
As I mentioned already both software which I mentioned handles I/O as mono channels --> by using three mono outputs from 6i6 (two for bookshelf speakers, one for powered sub) with mentioned software you be able to make needed routings and filtering for L/R channels and SUB channel. If there are delay diffrence between the sub and speakers, it can be fixed through mentioned software as well.

Last edited by jiiteepee; 14th August 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 14th August 2018, 05:53 PM   #14
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earsofgold View Post
I just spent 300 bucks on a pro soundcard for music production, I can't use some crappy high-latency 5.1 card.
PCI(e) soundcards (incl. Intel HDA) can usually reach very decent latencies. Of course it requires good drivers and good OS.

Quote:
but all the home subs are self-powered, I haven't seen passive home ones, only car enclosures.
If needed, it is trivial to disconnect the internal amp and use the SW and passive. Often the internal electronics is not worth a dime anyways.
Old 15th August 2018, 12:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
PCI(e) soundcards (incl. Intel HDA) can usually reach very decent latencies. Of course it requires good drivers and good OS.
Another reason I don't want another soundcard is that Ableton only supports a single soundcard at once.

Quote:
If needed, it is trivial to disconnect the internal amp and use the SW and passive. Often the internal electronics is not worth a dime anyways.
Good idea, now I'm considering saving time and money and just getting a 2.1 TPA3255 board and doing that. Still not convinced by the quality of the one premade board available that includes a crossover though. There's no way to adjust the crossover frequency, just treble/bass controls.

Seems slightly silly to pay for a powered sub when you're only using it as a passive though. Plus voiding the warranty - I'd need to find a way to get the speaker connectors to exit the enclosure which might mean drilling a hole.

I wonder what the difference in quality of the actual sub driver/enclosure actually is between powered subs, or if you're just paying for a more powerful plate amp.
Old 15th August 2018, 07:03 AM   #16
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

At a yard sale bought one of these.....
Silver W-12 | Subwoofer | Monitor Audio

Plate amp is just a joke.....!(almost every cap is bulged..) .....although the cabinet and driver are in great condition.

Removed the plate amp (500 watt RMS you've got to be kidding !!) and powered from 2.1 Allo DAC with dedicated
Plinius power amp.... when you've current to spare...

(.....sub cost....cough...$5.00....cough US....)....

Piano 2.1 DAC
Plinius - SB 301 -

Last edited by DRONE7; 15th August 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 15th August 2018, 09:23 AM   #17
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiteepee View Post
Hmm... by 6i6 specs, there are four outputs (+ headphone output) to use ... why not just use one of those output ports for sub ... .
As I mentioned already both software which I mentioned handles I/O as mono channels --> by using three mono outputs from 6i6 (two for bookshelf speakers, one for powered sub) with mentioned software you be able to make needed routings and filtering for L/R channels and SUB channel. If there are delay diffrence between the sub and speakers, it can be fixed through mentioned software as well.
If you go this way with EqualizerAPO then you could use filters something like this to cut the low freq for bookshelf speakers and cut the high freq for sub :

Code:
Copy: C = 0.5 * L + 0.5 * R
# if needed
#Copy: Sub = 0.5 * L + 0.5 * R

# Preamp: -command if needed

# 6i6 outputs 1, 2
Channel: L R
# Delay: -command if needed
# 48dB/oct HighPass filter w/ cut-off at <n> Hz
Eval: cutoff = 80
Eval: Q1=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(0+1/2)))
Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q1`
Eval: Q2=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(1+1/2)))
Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q2`
Eval: Q3=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(2+1/2)))
Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q3`
Eval: Q4=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(3+1/2)))
Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q4`

# 96dB/oct (just double the above)
#Eval: Q1=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(0+1/2)))
#Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q1`
#Eval: Q2=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(1+1/2)))
#Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q2`
#Eval: Q3=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(2+1/2)))
#Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q3`
#Eval: Q4=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(3+1/2)))
#Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q4`

# 6i6 outputs 3, 4
Channel: C Sub
# Delay: -command if needed
# 48dB/oct LowPass filter w/ cut-off at <n> Hz
Eval: cutoff = 250
Eval: Q1=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(0+1/2)))
Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q1`
Eval: Q2=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(1+1/2)))
Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q2`
Eval: Q3=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(2+1/2)))
Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q3`
Eval: Q4=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(3+1/2)))
Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q4`

# 96dB/oct (just double the above)
#Eval: Q1=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(0+1/2)))
#Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q1`
#Eval: Q2=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(1+1/2)))
#Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q2`
#Eval: Q3=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(2+1/2)))
#Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q3`
#Eval: Q4=1/(2*sin((pi/8)*(3+1/2)))
#Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc `cutoff` Hz Q `Q4`
... or use GraphicEQ from EqualizerAPO.

If you want to use ASIO/KS level output instead of Windows default (WASAPI Shared) then use the Equalizer APO Voicemeeter integration option (set Voicemeeter to use ASIO/KS).

Last edited by jiiteepee; 15th August 2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 15th August 2018, 08:28 PM   #18
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earsofgold View Post
Another reason I don't want another soundcard is that Ableton only supports a single soundcard at once.
Why would you want to use more than one multichannel soundcard?
Old 13th September 2018, 01:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
At a yard sale bought one of these.....
Silver W-12 | Subwoofer | Monitor Audio

(.....sub cost....cough...$5.00....cough US....)....
Wow, $5 for that?!

Probably an angry spouse getting rid of her poor partner's stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiteepee View Post
If you go this way with EqualizerAPO then you could use filters something like this to cut the low freq for bookshelf speakers and cut the high freq for sub :
... or use GraphicEQ from EqualizerAPO.

If you want to use ASIO/KS level output instead of Windows default (WASAPI Shared) then use the Equalizer APO Voicemeeter integration option (set Voicemeeter to use ASIO/KS).
Thanks a lot for the detailed info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Why would you want to use more than one multichannel soundcard?
Yeah I understand why you would ask that question.

TBH I think that EqualizerAPO setup is not going to work for me.

I have a mistrust of the latency that must be created by running everything through EqualizerAPO and the extra complexity. My whole system is a complicated and fragile ecosystem and I'm skeptical of running Ableton with EqualizerAPO. Ableton is quite sensitive to soundcard and I guess EqualizerAPO creates a virtual soundcard to run everything through? I specifically bought that soundcard from checking the latency numbers and it is one of the best. I'm playing VST instruments live so latency is very important.

I usually run my O2 headphone amp from outputs 1-2 and my monitor speakers from 3-4.

The physical monitor volume control on the 6i6 only affects outputs 3-4, and the new TPA3255 amp that I'm setting up has no volume control so I will need to use that physical control to control the output from the monitor speakers/sub. I need the headphones to run fullrange so I need separate outputs for that or else I'll need to manually adjust the volume of the sub all the time which is not very accurate or convenient.

Not sure I explained that all that well but that's what I'm thinking.

Last edited by earsofgold; 13th September 2018 at 01:23 AM.

Best crossover solution for 2.1 from PC with tpa3255?Hide this!Advertise here!