MaxxBass - signal block diagram?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody know how MaxxBass actually works? I know it will side-chain the LF signal below approx. 80Hz, distort it, bandpass filter the result (approx. 90 - 500Hz, right?) and add it to the main signal. I tried to get decent sounding harmonics that can "fake" the fundamental out of a low pass filtered music signal using CoolEdit, but wasn't successful.

I 've found out that If I generate even harmonics only (e. g. by rectification), the ear is tricked into believing that the first harmonic is the new fundamental (due to the double fundamental frequency distance between each harmonic). Not good. Odd harmonics are easily created using some symmetric distortion curve but have the amplitude normalization issue. Quite hard to get a good mix between odd and even harmonics that sounds convincing enough to "fake" the fundamental for the ear and still keep the amplitude proportions as they were.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.