Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

No Discussions on Ripping/Managing Music Collections?
No Discussions on Ripping/Managing Music Collections?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2018, 03:10 PM   #51
RAndyB is offline RAndyB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Error correction is good, but in 10 years of using EAC on windows for ripping duties I have found maybe 2 that were so damaged it needed to work its magic.
But if it rips bit perfect then all is good, despite the silly name
I used EAC until the "big" computer couldn't cope with Microsoft's bloat. There was just one CD it couldn't read in full.
EAC uses AccurateRip which verifies "ripped tracks against an Internet database, making sure they are error free." I wonder what database, created by whom?
Old 12th September 2018, 05:49 AM   #52
ianp is offline ianp  United States
diyAudio Member

The database would be AccurateRip
Old 12th September 2018, 07:05 AM   #53
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAndyB View Post
Fortunately I had a wet winter and a pension to let me get started.
The stoicism of the British, remains..mercifully...unchanged...

Quote:
There are also top level directories for Organ and Xmas, however "Wifes music", "Sixties" (yes I'm that old) top level folders are organised by Album

"Sixties" a time when everyone got up to move their agile frames to music.. you're just a youngster then, due to all that exercise!
Though having several wives must keep you fit...

Quote:
Asunder may not be developed, but it works
Whipper is no slouch either.....

Quote:
Audacious doesn't impose any order or bias on your collection - it just plays what you select, by folder or by file.
Nor does Deadbeef and it might just be what you're looking for...

Quote:
And if you run that on Raspbian you don't have the pesky PuseAudio stuff to contend with.
Yeah! Puss-audio the bane of grown-ups everywhere...

Quote:
Perhaps my needs are simpler than many, I just settle into my comfy recliner chair, pick up the wireless mouse, and try not to fall asleep - did I say I'm quite old?
Andy
Andy, you and I and a few others need to form a sub-forum ! Ancient Auditory Adventurers ...? Later-life Linux Loonies..?

Last edited by DRONE7; 12th September 2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12th September 2018, 05:26 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

DRONE7,

my proof reading is growing worse by the minute, my wife (the only one I've ever had) would just shake her head sadly if she realised I had missed an apostrophe - before the s as you will realise.

No deadbeef on either raspbian or armhf ubuntu. Could try compiling it, there's another couple of days frustration awaiting me. And as for finding the time ....

Andy

Last edited by RAndyB; 12th September 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12th September 2018, 05:32 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Have any of the forum experts discussed the pros and cons of re-sampling as you rip?
Raspberry Pi is not able to generate an exact 44.1kHz clock apparently, so 48k is better.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:44 AM   #56
steveu is offline steveu  United States
diyAudio Member

When I first started ripping my CDs, I preferred wma because it sounded better than mp3 for the same data rate, but then I had a DVD player that only played mp3, so I switched to mp3 at a higher data rate. In hindsight, I should have used a even higher rate but storage size was a issue back then. A friend went with FLAC but he had more money than me. He sold me his old hard drive cheap because it made too much noise.

Now to current problems, which are mostly about automotive sound systems. I have an Accord and my music on a 64G thumb drive. The problem is that the crude Honda stereo flattens my 400+ albums into one very long list, and using the album names results in about 20 albums all called "Greatest Hits". So I have taken to renaming the album folders to "<Artist> Greatest Hits" (just on the thumb drive), something that I wish MP3TAG did automatically. But then its too long to fit on the screen because it uses a huge font and a lot of empty screen space. Another snafu on this and other car sound systems is the LCD orientation. ie it is not compatible with polarized sun glasses. And the salesman thought it was sooooo advanced: ....uh ya, not.

Finally, did you know that "Internet radio.com" has a data rate filter so you can find better sounding internet radio, and avoid the 48Kbps channels.

Last edited by steveu; 21st September 2018 at 03:52 AM.

No Discussions on Ripping/Managing Music Collections?Hide this!Advertise here!