No Discussions on Ripping/Managing Music Collections?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundcheck said:
I do also differentiate by genres. I define my own genre labels in the classical
area:

Classical-Violin
Classical-Cello
Classical-Piano
Classical-Orchestra
Classical-Opera
Classical

To me it is much more convenient to scroll through a huge classical collection by a pre-selected genre.

I like that. I can see how that would work well. Which software are you using as your player?

Since I'm using moOde, I'm limited to the weenie screen on my phone. The Genre section is kind of small, and I already have it filled up with multiple genres like Jazz (which could also be subdivided into its own sub-genres like Swing, Modern Jazz, Bebop, Fusion, Avant-garde, etc.), Pop (where I put Rock music of all kinds, R&B, Hip-hop, Progressive Rock, Country & Western, Reggae, etc.), Blues (African-American folk music and modern 'pop' Blues, sometimes is splitting hairs to decide if an artist belongs in Rock vs Blues), Folk (which I define as ethnically Euro-American folk music for this purpose), World (a catch-all), Latin (Salsa, Cuban 'son', Cumbia y gaita, Musica popular brasileira, etc.), and so on. As it is, my Genres list scrolls off its page. If I had a lot of subgenres in Classical, it would fill up all available space. I'm severely limited by my media server app.

A software that gave more room to view categorizing by Genre could be very useful. Unfortunately, moOde wasn't made that way. It seems to me each individual's method of categorizing their music is heavily influenced by the media server software they use.
--

PS - What Genre do Philip Glass, John Adams and Steve Reich belong to? Glenn Branca? Laurie Anderson, et al? I use "New Music" for that stuff, but since it's a genre that has its roots more in the Western concert hall/conservatory tradition than in the blues/jazz tradition, I used to use Classical. But that got unwieldy, so I split it off into New Music. Avant-garde jazz artists like Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor, et al, I keep in the Jazz category, but I can see why that's not necessarily the best place for it. You have to make determinations/distinctions somewhere.

Last edited:
Hope I'm not told off for thread bumping. Started to follow this thread, then it dropped off my radar, somehow.

I started ripping CDs about 5 years ago, after buying a Raspberry Pi 2. As a linux newbie, it was hard work to get anything to happen. Fortunately I had a wet winter and a pension to let me get started.

It is apparent that Classical music is not a high priority for the writers of music library/player software, so ...

Individual pieces are put in their own folder, named e.g:
"Elgar - Enigma Variations - Op 36 - CBSO, Rattle"
"Elgar - Enigma Variations - Op 36 - ESO"
"Elgar - Enigma Variations - Op 36 - LPO"
"Elgar - Enigma Variations - Op 36 - RPO Menuhin"
within a folder for "Elgar" - you can't have too many copies of Enigma.
There are also top level directories for Organ and Xmas, however "Wifes music", "Sixties" (yes I'm that old) top level folders are organised by Album.

I translate all spellings into English, I'm far too lazy to be polite about that. The main bugbear for me is removing all the full stops (period .) from track names, and then changing the roman numerals to arabic which I find easier to read. Still, shouldn't complain, at least I don't have to type everything out.

Asunder may not be developed, but it works, has a GUI and uses paranoia, Kid3 suits my tagging needs.

Audacious doesn't impose any order or bias on your collection - it just plays what you select, by folder or by file.
And if you run that on Raspbian you don't have the pesky PuseAudio stuff to contend with.

Perhaps my needs are simpler than many, I just settle into my comfy recliner chair, pick up the wireless mouse, and try not to fall asleep - did I say I'm quite old?

Andy

ps there's also "Elgar-Dyke - Enigma tr" in Organ.
pps the RPi is displayed on the TV because it also is the DSP for my music sytem, TV sound is via S/PDIF output and the last of the Cirrus Logic cards.

The meaning of ...

This must mean something to someone...:p

On Ubuntu Linux:
"Asunder is a graphical Audio CD ripper and encoder. It can be used to save tracks from Audio CDs."

"With Kid3, an ID3 tag editor for KDE you can:
* Edit tags in MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, Opus, DSF, FLAC, MPC, APE, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio, WavPack, WMA, WAV, AIFF files and tracker modules." etc.

"An audio extraction tool for sampling CDs. Unlike similar programs such as cdda2wav, cdparanoia goes to great lengths to try to extract the audio information without any artifacts such as jitter."

If you were being ironic, then I apologise for being pedantic.

Andy

I'm curious... cdparanoia is from 2008 and runs on full Linux distros with CD-R drives. That doesn't sound like an app that can run on RPi with Raspian to me. Or am I wrong about that?

RAndyB said:
pps the RPi is displayed on the TV because it also is the DSP for my music sytem,

What software are you running on your Pi? Audacious? Can that run on Raspian?

Do you have the HDMI from your Pi connected to an HDMI Input on your TV? How do you control the application? Do you use a keyboard or mouse connected to your Pi?

RAndyB said:
TV sound is via S/PDIF output and the last of the Cirrus Logic cards.

Does the audio path then go from the TV optical S/PDIF Output to a Cirrus Logic-based DAC?

OK, enough drift...
It sounds like you're not organizing your music by Genre. Do you listen to a lot of different kinds of music, or mostly 'classical' (proper name 'Western art music' or something like that)?

I'm a musical omnivore, but I've settled into mostly listening to jazz music (of many kinds) and Western art music (mostly Late Romantic and early Modern, but some Post-modern/minimalism, 'New Music', but of course a helping of Bach now and then). Once in a while I dive into my Rock, R&B, and Blues collections, but not that often any more.

I'm finding it difficult to organize the classical music collection. How do you organize multi-movement pieces so that the entire piece plays (e.g., all four or five movements of a symphony play together, sequentially, and in correct order) even when you've got your audio player set to 'shuffle play'?

One way to get around this is to combine all movements of a piece into one music file. For instance, taking Beethoven Symphony 3 'Eroica', what starts as this, with four movements in four FLAC files, in the folder Beethoven, Ludwig van/Symphonies/Beethoven Symphony 3 (BPO, Karajan, DG 1993)/

01 I Allegro con brio.flac
02 II Marcia funebre Adagio assai.flac
03 III Allegro vivace.flac
04 IV Allegro molto.flac

...can, after a bit of editing, be combined into a single FLAC file:

/Beethoven, Ludwig van/Symphonies/Symphony3_BPO-Karajan-DG-1993.flac

That's going to be one big file, but the whole symphony will play through even if the player is set to shuffle mode. The big, time-consuming hassle is of course the audio editing.

Another problem I've found is that MPD (Music Player Daemon) controlled by moOde Audio gacks when the filenames get too long or if the directory structure goes to deep. So there's a limit to how neatly you can organize the music file library.

Does anyone have some slick solutions to these dilemmas?
--

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
A quick reference to:
HTML:
https://xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html
reveals that it is attempting to correct jitter on the stream from the CD drive.
Which is weapons grade BS from a CD rom drive. Jitter doesn't matter if you are reading it as data. Error correction is good, but in 10 years of using EAC on windows for ripping duties I have found maybe 2 that were so damaged it needed to work its magic.

But if it rips bit perfect then all is good, despite the silly name :)

I'm curious... cdparanoia is from 2008 and runs on full Linux distros with CD-R drives. That doesn't sound like an app that can run on RPi with Raspian to me. --

I rip CDs on my "big" computer, so not sure; the "big" computer has just expired after only 10 years (nothing lasts these days) so need to connect a CD drive to my Tinkerboard - essential cable in the post, so updates later.

What software are you running on your Pi? Audacious? Can that run on Raspian? --
Certainly does.

Do you have the HDMI from your Pi connected to an HDMI Input on your TV? How do you control the application? Do you use a keyboard or mouse connected to your Pi?
Does the audio path then go from the TV optical S/PDIF Output to a Cirrus Logic-based DAC? --

Music played on the Pi by Audacious goes straight to the USB connected amplifiers (via LADSPA crossover and eq.).
Sound from the TV is as you describe above, captured by alsaloop which directs the output to the LADSPA crossover and eq. Annoyingly, alsaloop has to be turned on and off whilst changing from TV sound to Audacious.
Wireless mouse is next to the TV remote! For the very occasional use of the keyboard I am forced to leave my seat!
See
HTML:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/318635-digital-amplification.html
for detail.

It sounds like you're not organizing your music by Genre. Do you listen to a lot of different kinds of music, or mostly 'classical' (proper name 'Western art music' or something like that)?

I'm a musical omnivore, but I've settled into mostly listening to jazz music (of many kinds) and Western art music (mostly Late Romantic and early Modern, but some Post-modern/minimalism, 'New Music', but of course a helping of Bach now and then). Once in a while I dive into my Rock, R&B, and Blues collections, but not that often any more.

I'm finding it difficult to organize the classical music collection. How do you organize multi-movement pieces so that the entire piece plays (e.g., all four or five movements of a symphony play together, sequentially, and in correct order) even when you've got your audio player set to 'shuffle play'?

Does anyone have some slick solutions to these dilemmas? --
Almost exclusively listen to 'Western art music' with a concentration on British composers from all centuries. Examples: Robert Fayrfax (23 April 1464 – 24 October 1521) to Tammas Slater (2000 - )
Not being funny, but my default is Shuffle Off. Sometimes I remember to turn it on for an album of songs. Sometimes I realise that it is still on when the symphony starts at the wrong movement.

Error correction is good, but in 10 years of using EAC on windows for ripping duties I have found maybe 2 that were so damaged it needed to work its magic.
But if it rips bit perfect then all is good, despite the silly name :)

I used EAC until the "big" computer couldn't cope with Microsoft's bloat. There was just one CD it couldn't read in full.
EAC uses AccurateRip which verifies "ripped tracks against an Internet database, making sure they are error free." I wonder what database, created by whom?

Fortunately I had a wet winter and a pension to let me get started.
The stoicism of the British, remains..mercifully...unchanged...:D

There are also top level directories for Organ and Xmas, however "Wifes music", "Sixties" (yes I'm that old) top level folders are organised by Album

"Sixties" a time when everyone got up to move their agile frames to music.. you're just a youngster then, due to all that exercise!
Though having several wives must keep you fit...;)

Asunder may not be developed, but it works
Whipper is no slouch either.....

Audacious doesn't impose any order or bias on your collection - it just plays what you select, by folder or by file.
Nor does Deadbeef and it might just be what you're looking for...

And if you run that on Raspbian you don't have the pesky PuseAudio stuff to contend with.
Yeah! Puss-audio the bane of grown-ups everywhere...

Perhaps my needs are simpler than many, I just settle into my comfy recliner chair, pick up the wireless mouse, and try not to fall asleep - did I say I'm quite old?
Andy

Andy, you and I and a few others need to form a sub-forum ! Ancient Auditory Adventurers ...? Later-life Linux Loonies..?

Last edited:
DRONE7,

my proof reading is growing worse by the minute, my wife (the only one I've ever had) would just shake her head sadly if she realised I had missed an apostrophe - before the s as you will realise.

No deadbeef on either raspbian or armhf ubuntu. Could try compiling it, there's another couple of days frustration awaiting me. And as for finding the time ....

Andy

Last edited:
When I first started ripping my CDs, I preferred wma because it sounded better than mp3 for the same data rate, but then I had a DVD player that only played mp3, so I switched to mp3 at a higher data rate. In hindsight, I should have used a even higher rate but storage size was a issue back then. A friend went with FLAC but he had more money than me. He sold me his old hard drive cheap because it made too much noise.

Now to current problems, which are mostly about automotive sound systems. I have an Accord and my music on a 64G thumb drive. The problem is that the crude Honda stereo flattens my 400+ albums into one very long list, and using the album names results in about 20 albums all called "Greatest Hits". So I have taken to renaming the album folders to "<Artist> Greatest Hits" (just on the thumb drive), something that I wish MP3TAG did automatically. But then its too long to fit on the screen because it uses a huge font and a lot of empty screen space. Another snafu on this and other car sound systems is the LCD orientation. ie it is not compatible with polarized sun glasses. And the salesman thought it was sooooo advanced: ....uh ya, not.

Finally, did you know that "Internet radio.com" has a data rate filter so you can find better sounding internet radio, and avoid the 48Kbps channels.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.