Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

does anyone on here use JRiver media centre?
does anyone on here use JRiver media centre?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2019, 01:20 PM   #11
johnmarkp is offline johnmarkp  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been using JRMC for close to a decade for my music server and computer audio. The sound quality is great. I do not use the DSP functions. JRemote works great with the Ipad for control.
While the constant upgrade process is annoying, it is not a deal killer. The older versions work fine. I run 23 on my systems, I have friend who still uses 19. You do not have to upgrade if you don't want to.
I have learned the hard way to only have one player manage one set of music files. Each player leaves its data attached to the files and they do not always get along.
I never liked Itunes for Windows. It always feels like Apple is trying to control my music and make me buy from them only. Also I don't think it sounds as good as JRMC.

Just my two cents.
Old 4th February 2019, 06:47 PM   #12
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I'm using JRMC since several years and like it. Yes, the initial license fee is USD 60.--, but annual updates are only USD 20.--. It now offers Radio Paradise and some JRMC music streams in FLAC quality. For me, this alone justifies the price. I'm storing about 1000 CD's and some HiRes downloads on a small PC (tucked away in a lowboard) and control everything from an iPad. Excellent audio quality on all sample rates.
Old 4th February 2019, 07:24 PM   #13
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

I am a JRMC (Windows) user from years. Until v21 or v22 it sounded as good than foobar2000.

After, foobar2000 until sounded better with the SACD plugin but now JRMC v24.0.75 64bits sounds better too and not just with FLAC. And as every soft player has to be configured well for maximum sound quality, something that very few do! And the OS to play multimedia too, of course.

In Windows, to watch films the best soft is the Media Classic Player (inside K-Lite Pack) + ffdshow and madVR. Much better than JRMC, VLC and others. Much better.

archimago madvr - Google Search

The one that is expensive is Roon, hence he has not tried it.

I am not subscribed to any streaming service and I doubt it will be in the future because of the loudness war!

Last edited by maty tinman; 4th February 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 5th February 2019, 05:56 AM   #14
gazzagazza is offline gazzagazza  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Jrmc with Red October enabled is THE best choice for video. Mediaplayer classic, ffdshow etc was the way to go, 7 or 8 years ago.

does anyone on here use JRiver media centre?Hide this!Advertise here!