Using two soundcards at the same time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I want to use my computer as a DSP and digital crossover at the same time. But since I have 2 sourround speakers (passive), 2 Subwoofers, and 2 twoway front speakers (active) and a twoway center (active) I would need a 10 ch output. Theses outputs should be provided by two 5 channel sound cards.

My plan goes like this: Let the computer decode the DTS signal, use a software to split the front right/left and center channel into high and low frequencies and rout them to an output.

I had my eye on APO equalizer, but doesn't seem to be able to handle two soundcards at the same time. Can you recommend software, that can do this job?

Greetings,

Soldy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Thx, but what I've heard is that those sound interfaces are actually listed as multiple stereo soundcarads under windows. So that wouldn't work either.
You may want to double check - it appears that if the Monitor button is set to Mono, then the stereo pairs are disabled.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 6_23_2018 , 10_03_47 AM.png
    Screenshot - 6_23_2018 , 10_03_47 AM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 287
The guy I talked to has a BEHRINGER FCA610 and he said, that he couldn't change the appearance as stereo soundcards.

But that doesn't mean, that the same applies for the UMC1820. So if any of you guy owns one, please let me know :)

But the VB-Audio's Voicemeeter BANANA suggestion seems the most appealing to me atm. Especially since I can use 3 soundcards, wich means 24 channels with three 7.1 soundcards

E: I just read the manual and it says, that only 8 channel output is supported, with three different setups.

Does that mean, three setups simultaneously? did you try it @jiiteepee?

Last edited:
But the VB-Audio's Voicemeeter BANANA suggestion seems the most appealing to me atm. Especially since I can use 3 soundcards, wich means 24 channels with three 7.1 soundcards

E: I just read the manual and it says, that only 8 channel output is supported, with three different setups.

Does that mean, three setups simultaneously? did you try it @jiiteepee?

Long time since Windows user but, IIRC, 8 mono channels/device so, 24 channels total. If you use EqualizerAPO for the filters, you be able to access Voicemeeter outputs A1, A2 and A3 through EqualizerAPO Device: -command.

If 44.1/48kHz is enough for you there's this Cymatic Audio Live Player LP-16 worth to check out.

Last edited:
Whether sound cards are stereo or mono is a virtual concept. They usually can be used as 2 mono channels. Volume controls may be linked, but they may have a pan pot function so they could effectively set as needed. The big problem with most low-cost sound cards is sound quality. They suck. It's hard to see the point in building triamped speakers or something of that nature if it is going to sound worse than passive speakers.

For more serious professional use, LynxStudio makes some of the better multi-channel units. They also have a mixer app that can route the channels just about any way that might be desired. Very good sound quality, but not super great. That still costs around $500 - $1,000 per channel for DAC only, no ADC. These are about the minimum quality I would would consider using: Products - Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.

Of course, there are ebay Chinese DACs that can be modded into something decent, but there is some work involved. Probably the cheapest way to get good SQ, but not the fastest or easiest.

Or for just cheap there are some Chinese ADAU1452 DSP boards with 2-in, 4-out daughter boards for fairly cheap: 4 in 8 out electronic frequency divider, /IIS audio processing, /DAC decoder board-in Contactors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and this to connect it to a PC for programming: SigmaStudio USBi Emulator / ADI USBI Development Kit-in Contactors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group The $71 I/O board option includes the DSP board. More here: Buy ADAU1452 DSP and get free shipping on AliExpress.com

Last edited:
Reliable long-term operation of multiple soundcards requires either synchronized master clocks/common clock (e.g. single USB controller feeding adaptive-mode (=slaved) USB soundcards), or some form of software adaptive resampling to adjust for their deviating clocks.

Here is the historical but still very descriptive example of hardware merging multiple soundcards in linux https://web.archive.org/web/20071026072929/http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org:80/toots/el-cheapo/

Is an offset clock such a big (audible) problem?

@Markw4: Do you really think, that for example this soundcard (Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe - Bulk) sounds bad in way you can hear it?
That would be 12 ch for 140€ bucks...

E: if that banana software is designed to run multiple soundcards, shouldn't it do the synchronization for you (so no hardware mod is required)?

Last edited:
Is an offset clock such a big (audible) problem?

It depends how the software is written, I have no idea how it works in windows. You have to keep dropping/duplicating/interpolating samples to align the two time domains. Also it depends how long buffers (what latency) you need - the longer, the more time (hours) it takes for the buffers to run away. It is possible you would never hit this issue, depending on your use case and the software used.

E: if that banana software is designed to run multiple soundcards, shouldn't it do the synchronization for you (so no hardware mod is required)?

You really have to ask the author of the software.

I know only about open source software which does some form of adaptive resampling (e.g. pulseaudio, alsasink of gstreamer, netjack for jackd) and offers output to multiple soundcards by design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.