Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Using two soundcards at the same time?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2018, 08:40 AM   #31
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldy View Post
E: if that banana software is designed to run multiple soundcards, shouldn't it do the synchronization for you (so no hardware mod is required)?
From Banana UG:
Quote:
Output A1, A2 and A3 are not exactly synchronized. On Voicemeeter every i/o are independent and we can hear more or less delay between them, especially when using 3 audio outputs: if A1,A2 and/or A2 are routed to 2 or 3 audio devices, the sound might be not exactly synchronized (one speaker output can be late and produce a small echo with other speaker output). This is normal (according technical constraint) but can be corrected by compensate one audio output with a delay line (see System Settings Dialog Box).
Old 26th June 2018, 08:46 AM   #32
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Actually, the problem is not about one soundcard getting audibly ahead of the other.
It can be. Saw it happen before. Each card had its own driver and buffers. Application was also designed to work with multiple cards. But, sure, if a shared buffer then it could happen as you describe.
Old 26th June 2018, 08:47 AM   #33
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@Mark: But the earlier mentioned prices are out of my reach, so I have to go with smth cheaper. What I have a hard time believing: Are the DACs in soundcards so much worse than the ones in mid level AVRs?

Since its just for crossover use, don't worry 'bout those quality matters they are now confusing you with (speakers are usually crap compared to soundcards).

To keep the crossover system simple just get one audio interface with enough analog outputs so you don't need to fight with sync issues.
Old 26th June 2018, 09:45 AM   #34
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
It can be. Saw it happen before. Each card had its own driver and buffers. Application was also designed to work with multiple cards. But, sure, if a shared buffer then it could happen as you describe.
Of course each card has its own buffer (it reads data via DMA from the buffer), the system must split the incoming multichannel stream into corresponding buffers for each soundcard. For DAW these buffers are small (single milliseconds) to avoid large latency.

If an application was intended to work with multiple cards with independent clocks and did not provide any form of adaptive clock synchronization, it was simply faulty.
Old 26th June 2018, 09:56 AM   #35
Soldy is offline Soldy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiteepee View Post
To keep the crossover system simple just get one audio interface with enough analog outputs so you don't need to fight with sync issues.
But the reason for this topic is the fact, that I couldn't find an affordable one with enough outputs...

Of course I can look out for the suggestions, but I have to buy them used. And currently no one is selling (here in Germany).

Or I go with phofman's suggestion: " pulseaudio, alsasink of gstreamer, netjack for jackd"

Those should be able to synchronize I assume. What kind of DSP Software do you use @phofman?
Old 26th June 2018, 09:59 AM   #36
KaffiMann is online now KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

This is starting to sound like minidsp nanodigi.

Edit:
Or the solution dspswede is working on in this thread:
ADAU1467 Evaluation board?

Last edited by KaffiMann; 26th June 2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:10 AM   #37
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Or I go with phofman's suggestion: " pulseaudio, alsasink of gstreamer, netjack for jackd"
It is not a suggestion for you to use, it is an example of software providing resampling for multiple paralleled soundcards.

For linux DSP Charlie is the guru with practical experience. I do not use SW DSP, yet.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:23 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
This is starting to sound like minidsp nanodigi.
It only has two in, I would need 6 in and 10 out.
Quote:
For linux DSP Charlie is the guru with practical experience
I wrote him and hope he answers
Old 26th June 2018, 10:47 AM   #39
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

If this is for a speaker crossover then sound quality it just as critical as for any audio output. You will be listening to what comes out, right? Also, if using the computer as a sound source, there is no reason to use analog inputs. Better to use digital inputs and skip the extra distortion from too many repeated data conversions. A sound card with 10 outputs that stay synchronized together is only available in professional recording interfaces. It could have 10 inputs too, but better not use analog inputs if you don't have to. Of course if you have 10 outputs from a digital speaker crossover you would also need 10 power amplifier channels, which is a total of 5 stereo amplifiers. How to afford that?
Old 26th June 2018, 11:04 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Good point Mark, but I already own the amplifiers They cost me ~700 $ total over the years (bought used class-d amps from private persons).

On the second page you wrote:
Quote:
That still costs around $500 - $1,000 per channel for DAC only,
That is in no relation to the amplifier cost

The input thing might have been a misunderstanding. I don't want an analog input.

The perfect solution for me would be either a pcie or USB/firewire soundcard with 10 outputs that I can rout any (digital) input channels to.

Using two soundcards at the same time?Hide this!Advertise here!