Digital active speaker PC sound card/DAC solution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
Looking for advice on my front end solution.

My aim is to have a flexible PC based system with digital active 2.1 for music, and 5.1 for films.

I'm currently completing a pair of digital active speakers using the crossover in JRiver and the sound is really coming together to be very good (thank god!).I have been using my PC's soundcard for testing/setup. I also have REW and a calibrated Mic. The speakers are a huge outlay for me, but this is an ultimate build attempt, so I really want to get the front end right.

I have been focusing on the speaker side of things for the last 6 years or so am out of touch with what the latest is on the software and DAC/soundcard front.

I need a solution for the soundcard/DAC part along with the software end so I can run:

Active 3 or 4 way L + R speakers (6 or 8 channels)
Passive C, Rear L and Rear R and sub speakers for 5.1.

This totals 10 or 12 channels. I know JRiver can do this, but I don't know if there are any drawbacks that I need to be aware of, or better solutions?

The thing is, I need to know that whatever soundcard or DAC I use, the sound quality must be very good, and self noise low, as my speakers have a horn mid range and are 110db at 1w/1m.

Is there a good value or DIY option for the DAC? When I last looked, MiniDSP was great on paper, but high self noise caused problems.
What would you build or buy for the front end?
What software do I want to run with JRiver to get the best out of the speakers?
Convolution? Rephrase? Are these possible for my setup?

Is there anything else I might want to know before I start buying things? (Delay issues with films and convolution etc)

Thanks.

Last edited:
At the moment I'm using my Asus Xonar D2X for active stereo speakers with subwoofer (3 channels left, 3 channels right, 2 channels subwoofer, via Equalizer APO/ peace). My thought is, when I deceide to go for 5.1 (or whatever surround), I simply install a second soundcard to configure surround on this card. So I can be sure my stereo profiles and everything that goes with it stays untouched and I can play with surround settings without causing to much colleteral damage.

Hi Clue,

My understanding is that (at least for Jriver) running a second sound card has issues with clock time matching. Now the comments I heard were regarding running a single active speaker with 2 cards not separate speakers, but none the less.

JRiver as crossover with 2 different DACs

This would be to run the active system as a standalone, similar to the MiniDSP? .... hmm possibly. I would prefer just the DAC part so I can use my PC. powerful as a SHARC processor is, im not going to run out of power for FIR filters with my intel desktop i7 PC. What is the price? I assume this is north of $1k?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.