Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Equalizer APO and Wi-Fi streaming
Equalizer APO and Wi-Fi streaming
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2018, 08:22 AM   #1
erikthegreek is offline erikthegreek
diyAudio Member

Default Equalizer APO and Wi-Fi streaming

I use a laptop as my audio source, playing through Equalizer APO then Bluetooth to amplifier.

1. I'm considering Wi-Fi streaming, using a Chromecast/Audiocast device and the inbuilt DLNA server in Windows 10. Can Equalizer APO be applied to Wi-Fi streaming/does the Chromecast appear as an audio device in Windows 10 to which EQ APO can be applied?

2. Is Wi-Fi streaming that much superior to Bluetooth aptX or will I not notice the difference? I don't have high end components but I've got a pretty good ear.
Old 12th May 2018, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just a bump on this to see if I can get some assistance. I don't have a Chromecast/Audiocast and I'm reluctant to buy one if Equalizer APO cant't be used with it.

Anyone here with a Chromecast/Audiocast and EQ APO who could give it a bash?
Old 23rd May 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
PMental is offline PMental  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Afaik with DLNA and similar streaming services playback is done on the client device. This means E-APO and similar stuff won't work unfortunately.
Old 25th May 2018, 03:44 AM   #4
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Possibly it can be done (I'm not sure). You'd have to convert from source (compressed?) format to .WAV say at 16bit, 44.1KHz and throw that at the Chromecast. Some tinkering with the stream could be done before leaving the laptop.
Old 25th May 2018, 06:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers - looks like I'll have to stick with Bluetooth since I don't want to be without EQ APO, unless I can find a comparable system-wide EQ.
Old 22nd August 2018, 04:18 AM   #6
cacao ambiance is offline cacao ambiance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

aptx is lossy. only if you have aptx-HD is it very high biterate/quality. aptx is proprietary and expensive. I gave up on bluetooth due to noise, lag, , etc. i like bluetooth and if it works for you then good . just for me i found something better for my needs .

yea, i think lossless streaming over wifi can be done. not tired it my self.

ive been using old TV and new RC composite video transmitters with a spdif signal down the video channel . makes for cheap long rang wireless, low latency audio . the signal voltages of spdif and composite video match .

you can buy 5.8ghz(not interfere with 2.4ghz wifi) or 2.4ghz(better though walls, may interfere with wifi) video transmitters
I use a analogue to spidf converter to transmitter and spidf to analogue converter connected to wireless receiver and amp

somebody posted this on 12v sound systems group on evil zuckerbook. very useful info.

Last edited by cacao ambiance; 22nd August 2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

@cacao ambiance

Interesting stuff. Do you have a link to the specific group so I can get some more details - I'm not at all sure of the hardware required.
Old 22nd August 2018, 01:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

12V Sound Systems Public Group | Facebook

it was posted the last few months
Old 22nd August 2018, 01:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

ive been using
Ant: Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS TRIUMPH RPSMA(RHCP 2PCS)
TX + RX: FPV 5.8G TS5828 600mW / TS835 Transmitter + 48CH RC832 plus Receiver With A/V and Power Cables-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
clone ant: Long TBS TRIUMPH Team BlackSheep VAS 5.8GHz Circular Polarized Triumph Antenna SMA RP SMA Black Sheep for FPV Racing Quadcopter-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

spdif converters:
noise fool, pops too on signal loss, i think: SMSL TV DAC Digital Optical Coaxial to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter Adapter Coaxial Input Cable 3.5mm Input Cable Sky blue-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

bit less noisefloor but i feel it was a bit iffy, in other words, i am not getting another one but better cheap smsl tv dac. i think it didn’t pop on signal loss:
FiiO D03K Taishan Coaxial/Optical Digital To Analogue R/L Audio Converter 531479629916 | eBay

i find old high end portable headphone dacs/amps to be a lot better
The oled display seams to have burn in marks as there is a shadow of usb when switching menu items: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-Alpe...72.m2749.l2649
The newer model is fiio e17k which was my first one, very good. i like it a lot! for lots of wireless setups i am looking for oldered models that have near or just as good low noise fool to save money.

analogue to spdif converter:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Ana...dp/B002AL4XVO/
seams to have a good low noise floor buts its !

I have this to try out next:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FPV-...27424c4dBe811I
using a Team Black Sheep triumph and one of there directional antennas.

Last edited by cacao ambiance; 22nd August 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 24th August 2018, 07:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for these links. I've had a good look through them and it looks to be a reasonable solution. The issue I have, though, is that I use EQ APO and I don't see how I could apply it to these devices. That, and at first sight this solution seems to be considerably more expensive than most Bluetooth devices I've seen.

Equalizer APO and Wi-Fi streamingHide this!Advertise here!