Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Raspberry PI 2B or 3B - are there audio (sonic) differences?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Unkgd is offline Unkgd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Raspberry PI 2B or 3B - are there audio (sonic) differences?

I have a couple of spare RPI 2B boards sitting around.
Looking at configuring a couple of streamers for other rooms. My question is when using an RPI and its I2S bus as an audio streamer source (no hdmi, BT or WIFI) are there any sonic differences between the RPI 2B vs 3B?
I normally use either MOode or PicorePlayer as the rendering software.
TIA,
Bill
Old 26th April 2018, 10:00 PM   #2
grimberg is offline grimberg  United States
diyAudio Member

A little over 2 years ago I posted some comments about using the the Raspberry Pi to play FLAC files. You may find the information useful.

Raspberry Pi + CirrusLogic Audio Card = FAIL

Since then I have switched to Raspberry Pi 3B which is able to play FLAC files of any resolution flawlessly.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:31 AM   #3
anadigi is offline anadigi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimberg View Post
A little over 2 years ago I posted some comments about using the the Raspberry Pi to play FLAC files. You may find the information useful.

Raspberry Pi + CirrusLogic Audio Card = FAIL

Since then I have switched to Raspberry Pi 3B which is able to play FLAC files of any resolution flawlessly.

Recently, I installed the Picoreplayer V3.50 and is perfect. I am very happy can bring this good soundcard back alive. Flac files are no problem.
Old 27th April 2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Man in a van is offline Man in a van  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadigi View Post
Recently, I installed the Picoreplayer V3.50 and is perfect. I am very happy can bring this good soundcard back alive. Flac files are no problem.

Yep, a plus one from here too.

Just last week I ordered an original wolfson board and connected it to my sole remaing RP1B.

There is a new driver for the card included in Raspbian (it's been there a while I believe).

As stated by anadigi picorePlayer works really well.

The old board can be used with a later model pi

Connecting the Wolfson Sound Card to the Raspberry Pi3 | Life, the Universe and Engineering…

I have also tried it just using Squeezelite as a player and it performs fine. I need to make a start file to make it easier but time is a bit short.

Also used it with the OMXplayer (just audio) in Raspbian.

Omxplayer - eLinux.org

Ronnie
Old 29th April 2018, 01:02 PM   #5
badboygolf16v is offline badboygolf16v  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have never noticed any difference in sound quality.

If you want to do SRC or format conversions then obviously a 3 is the way to go.
  Reply to this post

Raspberry PI 2B or 3B - are there audio (sonic) differences?Hide this!Advertise here!