Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

OpenHome on RPi Hardware
OpenHome on RPi Hardware
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2018, 01:34 AM   #11
JohnW is offline JohnW  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealas View Post
Keep in mind that all of these players/systems do a lot of stuff in the background after you do the initial setup, like scanning your music library, some update themselves, some need to compile the pages you see the first time you visit them. Maybe try letting them sit for a bit after you install and set them up before you do your test?
Also, the types like Volumio that have browser based UI are very sensitive to issues with bad wifi and slow tablets/phones vs. ones that use an app/client like Roon. If you're running on a Raspberry Pi then you should definitely try to wire it to your network.
And if OpenHome works for you then use that, just don't be too surprised if you don't get any support or fixes when Spotify changes their APIs and it stops working.
I use Roon myself, it looks like Daphile is gaining popularity so I might try that as well.
As for the main page, you can always bookmark the albums page for Volumio and go straight there, others would sometimes allow you to select what is the start page, almost all of them have the playlist/queue model that allows you to pick all the music you want to play and just enjoy listening rather than having to "change a CD" after 45 min
I tried to speak with Roon at last years Munich show but they had a really stuck up attitude and I cannot get me head around all the various blocks. I also would prefer to have a solution that run out of the box WITHOUT needing a separate server... or needing to pay a mandatory subscription...!

If Roon's at Munich show this year, I'll try again... but its hard to get past that initial encounter.

I'm leaning towards LMS I guess... as SBT "Just" worked for me many years ago...
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:53 AM   #12
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

IMO an embedded linux solution should always use read-only mounted root filesystem, be it by any of the options available in linux. Even journal-based filesystems (ext4) are not 100% immune to file corruption at power outage.

From this POW I like debian-based linux voyage (only x86/amd64) which mounts the filesystem RO and binds a few changeable dirs (with e.g. mpd database) in ramdisk (tmpfs). Upon proper shutdown it remounts the root filesystem rw and synchronizes these dirs. If the root FS needs to be changed (adding packages, changing config etc.), a simple command remounts / to RW and full system is available. Simple, easy to debug.

True, the shutdown synchronization time is prone to corruption :-(
Old 3rd April 2018, 08:24 AM   #13
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Obviously you want to use one of these OSes commercially!

You better do the homework by yourself!
I do understand very well that you build your HW and then prefer to
piggyback on open source freeware.
Selling the HW and offering SW free of charge. Great approach!
You're not the first one acting like that. And you'll not be the first one failing
because of that.

Without having a clue about Linux you better stay away from that project!
That's an advise!

Without having a clue about Linux, bashing non-commercial community members on potential instabilities or design choices that doesn't fit your business ideas I don't consider appropriate either.

If you run into issues talk to these folks. And try to contribute in solving
the issues, potentially even your issues only! And don't forget to tell them that you want to run their OS commercially!

Another advise. Before focusing on piCorePlayer you better understand what's running under the hood of pCP!

Good luck with your project.
Old 4th April 2018, 06:06 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The idea is to have 'Open hardware" so that the user can install which ever streamer software they wish.

The communication APi is published so that the more advance features can be implemented - but not necessary for operation (such as current / Voltage monitoring of the USB ports etc).

I'm sorry you got the idea that I want to free load off open source software - nothing further from the truth - I'd be happy to pay for a stable software solution, but I'm little more then a one man operation and for this situation there are no options available that I'm aware off - but I'd gladly hear otherwise.

The streamer PCB development has been "Group sponsored" by loyal owners of my older designs - Today most people would like to dip there toes into the world of streaming and try an audiophile streamer solution (Bit accurate, support HiRes + DSD & with DAC as clock master) - but commercially available options are either unaffordable and or based on a closed ecosystem.

While I can design hardware until the cows come home - I cannot find a suitable software partner hence my questions here.

Offer me a royaltie based software solution (Payment per unit sold) and we would not be having this conversion...

As I cannot find such a solution, the only choice available is for the customer to install there open source software of choice - but obviously I'd like to be in a position to be able to recommend "tested" options - and provide the dt-blob and drivers...

I'm retired now and am dabbling as a "retirement hobby" - not with grand plans of commercial profit... I'd not be posting here openly if this was the case! - I'm sorry for triggering your rather aggressive post. If you wish to meet me in person to discuss it further, I'll be attending the Munich HiFi show next month - I'd be interested to see if you remain so aggressive.

I don't agree with your comment "Without having a clue about Linux you better stay away from that project That's an advise!" - my function is to design the hardware and leave the software to those who know better! Without hardware there's no need for software and vasa versa....

And thank you for wishing luck with the project - I do hope that the project development sponsors well indeed be happy with the hardware!

Last edited by JohnW; 4th April 2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 4th April 2018, 06:23 AM   #15
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
I'm retired now
Have you turned 40?
Old 4th April 2018, 07:59 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Have you turned 40?
Well over for now....
Old 4th April 2018, 08:26 AM   #17
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

"I don't agree with your comment "Without having a clue about Linux you better stay away from that project That's an advise!" "

You don't have to agree. You actually can't. Because you don't have the experience.

That's my experience from years working in that area.

* I worked with RPI, I worked with other SBCs.
Why is RPI successful? The rather mediocre HW is not the reason. That's well known!
It's about the HW+"inhouse"-SW.
* I worked with Audiophonics (no SW know-how), I worked with Allo (HW&SW experts) - Who do you think is doing better?
* and more examples

I predict your project will fail sooner or later if you don't want to get your hands "dirty" on the SW part. And that is a known fact.
I also predict you'll have serious issues finding somebody supporting you.

The SW part (design and maintenance and management) actually is much more demanding than a little one-off HW cooking.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by soundcheck; 4th April 2018 at 08:34 AM.

OpenHome on RPi HardwareHide this!Advertise here!