Please comment on laptop choice for HTPC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a 17 inch laptop for photo editing first, HTPC second, and CAD work. No gaming at all.

1000USD seems to be a decent price point considering a month of research and pricing options.

I've settled on these two.

CUKUSA | Asus FX73VE-WH71 17.3" Gaming Notebook Laptop
CUKUSA | Search results for: 'n705ud'

The FX series is far more configurable at this website. The N series at the 1000 +/- dollar price point seems only to offer two toned aesthetics, slimness, lightness. But that may involve trade offs.

The 8th gen i7 processor in the N series (vivobook) is said to be more power efficient but less able to handle heat before throttling back compared to the 7th gen i7 in the FX series. That is probably not going to be an issue with me since I don't plan to game with it.

Both screens are identical on spec. Same screen? Who knows?

FX series has two more USB-C ports.
N series has a card reader, FX does not.

FX is more robust in size and weight. That may indicate sturdier build.

All considered, which would you recommend? How would you configure the FX model for between 1000 and 1100 optimally? There is a wealth of option at CUKUSA for this model. Is the better WIFI card option worth it? Which SSD...western digital or Samsung? Skip the main disk hard drive and spend the extra on a better (500gb) SSD?

Any other considerable differences I've missed? If I'm not gaming, will I be happier with the more standard keyboard on the N series over the "tactile long stroke" keyboard of the FX "gaming" machine?

Thanks for any input here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.