WARNING to all plugin users/buyers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like most, I consider Waves top-notch. I purchased an EQ plugin through a major online retailer. I won't name them because they did their job. They sent me an email with serial# and instructions to install. Problem is, Waves REQUIRES that you have an ACTIVE ACCOUNT with them in order to access your purchase. They said mine was inactive, so I could not download and activate even though I had already paid.

So to workaround, I created a new account with a different email - now I could download and install OK. All is good, right? No. I bought two more plugins direct from Waves but I paid via pay pal which uses the email of my first inactive account. I cannot install on my PC, but my attempts caused Waves to classify as "installed". Now I'm screwed.

Lesson DO NOT BUY ANY WAVE PRODUCT UNTIL YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED AN ACTIVE ACCOUNT WITH THEM FIRST. THEIR WHOLE DELIVERY SYSTEM IS BASED ON THIS.

WORD TO THE WISE

Gary Ferguson

Getting software can be a nightmare at the best of times.
Anti virus software butting in causes me no end of problems.
All because Microsoft cant design a secure PC system.

They have tried to get around this by getting people to use Microsoft store apps which are a bit more secure, although they are pole axed as far as interface goes.

I also sell software and each time I make a change I have to get my software whitelisted by all the anti virus software writers. Even then it takes a few days before it goes through their system.

Rant over.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I find it difficult to understand how people who are smart enough to write programs like these can fail to understand how to link up the necessary nodes in their business. Like requiring an active account name entered at the time of purchase, no matter whether direct or from third party retailers.

And then, Surely once they've got your money there should be some feeling of obligation on their part to sort everything out for the customer. If they are smart enough to write these softwares and smart enough to look at their system and see that your account has gone inactive, they could use a few minutes of brain power to re-activate it.

That the customer is left to try things like buying another product to get access to the first one they purchased is kind of like, . . . . . . uhhh, I don't know what words fit the bill, . . . . . . . . . . not worth supporting to say the least.

As for being "screwed" , if you have records of paying , they should be able to look at them and know they owe you something. One good thing about PayPal , though it can in some situations be hard on honest sellers, they do act on buyers complaints. Ask PayPal for your money back and then maybe the people at Waves.com will blink a little.

I've run across similar issues from time to time. I use a unique eMail address for PayPal that is not used for other purposes, so often times a software vendor will register an account based on that address rather than the one I would use when registering an account otherwise, and one that I expect correspondence to be delivered to.

I am in the Mac world when it comes to day-to-day applications although I do also have WindowsOS and LinuxOS installations. But I would not expect it to be different for a WindowsOS user ... I just open a support ticket and it's always been resolved.

Sometimes the eMail address is encoded into the registration (serial) number, so they might issue a new registration #, or they may not need to and just amend the registration data (change my eMail from one I would use to register to the one used for PayPal which corresponds to the purchase data they have).

It's never been a problem. I've even gotten "free" registration numbers from a new owner of an application when the vendor changes hands and I've purchased from the other vendor. Have you tried opening a support ticket?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.