LMS vs ROON

I am using LMS since years now. Anyway there are some things other SW can do better or lets say easier.

I do room correction and would like to use a server side convolution with music streaming service included. Server side convolution was not too difficult to apply with inguz on an older LMS version. Today I cannot see how to implement it easily on server side (I know the description with virtual linux machine - but frankly, its a mess and for me very easy to understand why people who are looking for easy implementation do not want to go this way). Is there an easier way doing this in LMS? Tried to replace some files as described in this instruction on my max2play LMS but could not succeed - a pitty that after all this years of LMS there is no working and easy to use DRC plugin.. That and the easy implementation of a streaming service with full function support (e.g. I cannot use track slider in my spotty application on max2play LMS on a raspi) makes me more and more to thiink about changing to roon.

You bring up a very specific case. If Roon offers such a feature and you're willing to spend $500 for it. Just go for it. But consider. You might get to a point where you'd need a special feature/function. Good luck with that!

Otherwise if you know how to handle and setup brutefir, it'll be a no-brainer to add brutefir as a DSP rule to the custom-convert.conf. By using a wrapper script you could even run different filters for different samplerates. This would prevent to apply SRC on top of DRC. It can't get more flexible.

The most challenging part with DRC IMO is and has always been the correction filter generation. Afaik none of the playback/server tools offers that feature! Usually you'd need Acourate DRC - quite costly - to generate highest quality filters. (I btw never purchased Acourate - I used filters generated with these toolstools.) And - not to forget - you also need a high quality recording setup.

I never went for DRC because the filter associated losses I considered worse then the issues supposedly solved by DRC. The better your system and room the more obvious the DRC associated issues get. (Neither Roon nor Acourate can't win me over on that DRC subject ;) ) OK.Ok. Off Topic Alarm: The entire DRC subject is a totally different story. I'll shut up.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Soundcheck, please dont shut up! I allways (well - mostly;-)) like your statements and useful comments and work here.
I used Brutefir in the past and I know how to set up a brutefir config. but I am not a Linux guy and please keep in mind what seems a "no-brainer" for you is a "no go" for most unexperienced Linux users like me.

As said before also streaming service implementation in LMS does not work perfectly in all aspects in my setup.
Regarding DRC I lately made similar experiences as you describe before. I use acourate but the better my DAC the more impact by convolution calculation is noteable. That is why I am looking for a server side solution as my raspi with aroio seems to be "overloaded" (SQ wise) with this calculation task on endpoint. side...
If you know of a good description how to set-up a custom convert.conf DSP rule I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for not shutting up here.. :)

I've just started using Daphile (which I gues is a derivative of LMS), installed on my older workstation as a server only. I installed DietPi on my Sparky SBC and configured SqueezeLite player on it, configured for USB DAC and connected my USB DAC.

I can SSH to DietPi without any issues but Daphile does not see the Audio device... Is there anything I need to do?

Thanks
Do

Another advantage with LMS is that there is a very full-function Alexa skill available called MediaServer that not only does transport commands but allows you to specify album/song/artist/genre to play by voice. It also supports streaming audio from LMS to an Echo as audio sink. To date, Roon does not support Alexa.

LMS vs Roon

I had ROON for a year now, but I'm going back to LMS. I tried different Roon core servers, but afterall I find Roon not stable enough. Offcourse it has a wonderfull interface with lots of info, but for me the LMS is faster and I cannot hear any difference in music quality. Sometimes I think LMS sounds even better. More open. I now use the Sqeezer app, which is good to work with. Especially the search options is great, It will find music in your own collection, as well in the connected streaming services. And I can browse trough my own music collection again :)

Last edited:
Here's my perspective as a fairly new Roon user. I have been using iTunes as my streaming server for about 17 years. I also did a stint with slimserver (LMS before logitech).

While Roon does stream music to your devices, that's not what makes it so interesting. And as was stated above, there are a ton of free choices out there if you know exactly what you want to play and just need the mechanics of squirting the bits to your device. So for people who always know what they want to play, and don't want to have a slick tool to explore music that is similar to what they like, there's a ton of good solutions out that that don't lighten your wallet.

People get hung up on the bit squirting aspect of roon, and I'd argue that is only 10% of the value of the program at most. Likewise, the first thing that people see when they first try roon is the remote interface. I was surprised that an expensive program didn't have a more extensive and customizable set of views.

But in my opinion what sets Roon apart from everything else out there is music discovery. As roon imports your music, it is pulling in lots of metadata, artwork, reviews, artist bios etc. Roon also uses user preferences to develop a huge database of relations between various artists, albums, and tracks. So when I am listening to an artist, I can go check out his bio, which is typically heavily hyperlinked to other artists groups etc. I can then click on those and explore. There are also recommendations for other artists and such. The current artist can be explored, including other music they have played on, produced etc. You can see all the musicians and technical crew for each track. There is high quality album art, but sadly no liner notes (boo)

In addition to that functionality is the ability to focus on your collection. This is a very granular search function that will winnow down your collection by hundreds of criteria. Looking for live albums of rock, or folk/rock from 1983-1987 that you haven't played in the last month, and is on the electra label. you can easily do that and watch the album view shrink with each additional criteria you choose.

Roon radio is a smart shuffle of your library or your library and Qobuz or Tidal included, and due to it's deep knowledge of your library and listening tastes turns out to be quite good at picking music you will like and is a very good match for what seeded the radio station in the first place.

That is just scratching the surface of the ways that Roon is unique in the music management space. I find that for me, it's well worth the $120 a year.

It also has a level of polish that the free apps only can dream about. Whether any of that is worth the $10 a month to you is something that is a very personal decision. It took me a lot of years to try it and then buy it.

If there is another app out there that does this music relations and discovery like Roon, I'd love to hear about it. I wasn't able to find one.

Sheldon

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is there a plugin for LMS (or other feature) that one can output the playing stream to a device/port, do some processing, and send it back to an "input" in LMS so it can send the stream finally to a client e.g. a Touch etc...? For OS X.

I would like to make use of Camilla which seem to be a very nice DSP platform - there is a thread here at DIYA.

//

//

Joined 2014
Paid Member
But in my opinion what sets Roon apart from everything else out there is music discovery.

This was my understanding.

Lms with some plugins can do most of it. And many more things that roon cannot. It is of course free and very often updated
I would be interested to know which plugins do this and also to have a clearer understanding of what LMS can do above and beyond. I'm looking at what I might do next and having trouble finding anything that quite ticks the box for what I want (and a lot that miss my workflow completely).

Before I write a good answer. John Darko has recently reviewed it.
A short film about the Raspberry Pi as music streamer AND server | Darko.Audio

5 more thoughts on the Pi-Squeeze server/streamer | Darko.Audio

Look at the videos also.

Of course LMS has Spotify integration, which Roon has not.
It do luckily not have MQA possibilities.
Roon is as probably many know a spinoff from Soloos (Meridian) and Meridian= MQA...
That MQA - Tidal - Roon thing is a bit of "scratch each others back" thing... Same people sort of.

Last edited:
My collection is around 180k music files (lossless, hirez, dsd etc. ). Also included alot of radio stations and my girlfriends spotify account. (not tried tidal, qobus integration)
Fast, small footprint and incredible stable solution. Running LMS on a virtual server.
Have many squeezelite players including my phone which acts also as a player (or endpoint as Roon calls it).
I can reach all my music collection from everywhere.
A rescan of the music library takes around 5 minutes.
I personally dont use "music and artist information" plugin.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My collection is that sort of size. I have MPD running to serve music on the main system and minimserver for kitchen and bedroom. I use a couple of old blackberry playbooks for the end points, which are getting a bit long in the tooth but have charging stands so they are always on and always ready. I cannot see anything new that could replace them.

I've been paying early subscription to Roon for years and I would love to see if LMS can work as Roon. What I mean is core server and end points. If it's how it works, then I would love to test it and compare. I have GentooPlayer that can install LMS but never configured LMS before. Is there a nice recent tutorial for this? I know my way around software but something optimized would be great.

Do