Android / Raspberry Pi Player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to convert my CD's to FLAC files and then play
them back using an Android Tablet as the interface.

The easiest/cleanest method would be to map a network drive
to my Tablet and then just play them back through the tablet
(I haven't been able to figure out how to map a drive to the tablet)

Next up would be to use a Raspberry Pi and use
an android tablet as a web browser to control it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

You could install a web enabled music server and slave on the raspberry Pi and then use the web browser on your android phone to connect to it to select and play the songs.
I of course use SeeDeClip4 for this but there should be a variety of ways to achieve this.

That's pretty much what I do and it works well, the only caveat is that you don't want the web interface turning off all the time as android devices tend to power down to save battery. That's why I use a laptop for the web interface.

BTW I just ripped my CDs to WAV (in iTunes) and put cover art in the album folders and added the year to the album title (folder name), it's slightly faster to process them than flac IME.

Like Globul said,
I use my Nexus 10 as remote control of my RPi, device turns off and sometimes the interface is not responsive or does not refresh as it should. But Nexus 10 and Lollipop are not rockets, BTW it serves me well as a remote. On my Mac the web interface is fast as lightning.
Files are on an external hard drive on my Mac, shared over the LAN. I use an Ethernet cable to link my RPi to my router, used to use the WiFi but too slow for more than 24/96.
The RPi has a SPDIF board going to my DAC. You can have a direct DAC on top of the RPi and plug it to your amp.
And as software for the RPi you can try several, maybe start with Volumio?
So check for:
An external drive for network sharing (a normal one shared by your computer or a autonomous one aka NAS), or attached to Raspberry locally,
A Raspberry Pi 2 if you want to save some bucks and do not need WiFi, buy a Raspberry 3 if WiFi is needed, add power supply and SD card, case if needed,
add on the Raspberry a digital output card (a cheap eBay "Digi+" for cheap one, an Allo DigiOne for the best one),
setup a dedicated software on the RPi like Volumio, Rune, Moode and maybe more versatile like Kodi if you want multimedia content.
And maybe you'll need an used external USB CD reader to rip all your CDs, these are keepers but nowadays harder to find than DVD reader!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.