Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

48 K Hz internal speed of Pi & playback quality ?
48 K Hz internal speed of Pi & playback quality ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 24th October 2017, 01:35 PM   #1
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

Default 48 K Hz internal speed of Pi & playback quality ?

It is a problem with 44.1 materials ?

My Pi 3 is streaming in I2S via a GPIO header with uf-l cables towards IanCanada FIFO+ISOLATOR+CLOCKII

The result is less good than the previous configuration: same front end but through an USB to I2S Wave I/O board : so USB feeded via a Synology NAS

Several surprises : despite a FIFO & isolator & reclocking : the sound is changed !

What hapenned please ? Is it the 48 K Hz internal speed of the Pi3 ? Or the asynchronous reclocking of the Wave I/O board which was better ? (but all is reclocked after by the boards of IanCanada and Crystek 957 xtals ?!)

Many thanks for your inputs !

Old 25th October 2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

Hi,

Btw, If one use only the I2S output of the RaspBeRry Pi (so raw output: the RPi3 as Masterclock: is it good enough for a FIFO before to be reclocked or would have I some quality issues?

Anyway I have some at ears but dunno if the problem is here or elsewhere. But no doubt the previous topology with USB (Wave I/O) to I2S aysync before the whole IanCanada front end (FIFO-Isolator-Reclocker with Crystek 957 xtals) give a better result than a I2S RPi3 straight (not async) output ???

Saw most of the hat DACs are slavering the internal clock of the RPi for it to output a better I2S; i.e. not using the internal divided Frequency of the Pi clock/xtal?

Can it be the problem despite FIFO&reclcoker ? I doubt it is the distro on the RPI ! Maybe the way I powersupply the Pi : external Technet battery not as good than a regulated powersupply ?

For my the said Noisy USB from a NAS is sounding better than I2S bus with uf-l wires & connector ! Not different, but better : more dynamic, better soundstage, more détails, less thin & flat notes, asf !

Could it be the noise of the Pi on the I2S GPIO bus ? Does an isolator improve things here, despite I have already an isolator between the FIFO & the reclocker ?

thanks for your experience or ideas, for the moment the RPI3 with I2S output seems a very poor transport for audio !

Closed Thread

48 K Hz internal speed of Pi & playback quality ?Hide this!Advertise here!