Need an audiophile music player for puppy tahr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
At the moment I am using daphile feeding into my m-dac and into my amplifier. I am really satisfied with the quality but recently got a video server, a tranquil pc, mini itx, 4gb ram, i3-2100t 2.5ghz as a media server. I cant use daphile on it as it has its own exclusive o.s. but wondered if there was anything similar I could use on puppy tahr that was of similar quality as an audio player.
Thanks
thyristor44

It depends on the planned usage of that computer and your linux skills.

For me "audiophile audio" means bitperfect delivery from the player to the soundcard. Any linux distribution can do that, it's all about the respective player configuration.

To make sure no software volume is in the chain, I would avoid pulseaudio. That leaves you with direct output to alsa.

Do you want to play youtube in a browser, or using some specialized tool? Latest Firefox supports only PA. Chrome should play to alsa with config option --alsa-output-device List of Chromium Command Line Switches << Peter Beverloo .

Basically any player can play flacs these days. Some people like audacious.

Squeezelite has no GUI, you would have to install whole Logitech Media Server.

Lighter rather well-supported distribution is e.g. Lubuntu. The LTS 16.4 version is supported for 5 years.

Or if you are more advanced, you can pick a rolling-upgrades distribution like Arch linux Arch Linux - Best distro ever? | AkitaOnRails.com

The computer will be used for flac classical library, some youtube from a browser, sound quality less important and again stream live tv from a browser. I do understand alsa a bit. I would like to keep off google and chrome but need it for spotify.
I will have another go at lubuntu and also arch linux. My linus skills are fairly basic. Thanks so far, I will also try audacious.

It depends on the planned usage of that computer and your linux skills.

For me "audiophile audio" means bitperfect delivery from the player to the soundcard. Any linux distribution can do that, it's all about the respective player configuration.

To make sure no software volume is in the chain, I would avoid pulseaudio. That leaves you with direct output to alsa.

Do you want to play youtube in a browser, or using some specialized tool? Latest Firefox supports only PA. Chrome should play to alsa with config option --alsa-output-device List of Chromium Command Line Switches << Peter Beverloo .

Basically any player can play flacs these days. Some people like audacious.

Squeezelite has no GUI, you would have to install whole Logitech Media Server.

Lighter rather well-supported distribution is e.g. Lubuntu. The LTS 16.4 version is supported for 5 years.

Or if you are more advanced, you can pick a rolling-upgrades distribution like Arch linux Arch Linux - Best distro ever? | AkitaOnRails.com
I tried lubuntu with audacious and liked that but it did show up a basic problem that I cant monopolize the tv monitor just to play music, its a shared tv. So I will keep daphile system and the other system for video.
Thanks for the help getting here.

Hello
At the moment I am using daphile feeding into my m-dac and into my amplifier. I am really satisfied with the quality but recently got a video server, a tranquil pc, mini itx, 4gb ram, i3-2100t 2.5ghz as a media server. I cant use daphile on it as it has its own exclusive o.s. but wondered if there was anything similar I could use on puppy tahr that was of similar quality as an audio player.
Thanks
thyristor44

You may still use Daphile. On your media server, you just need to install logitech media server. Thereafter, in your Daphile settings, you just need to set it up for an external logitech media server by inserting the ip address for your logitech media server.

You may still use Daphile. On your media server, you just need to install logitech media server. Thereafter, in your Daphile settings, you just need to set it up for an external logitech media server by inserting the ip address for your logitech media server.
Could I add logitech media server to my existing operating system or is it an operating system itself.

Could I add logitech media server to my existing operating system or is it an operating system itself.

It is a package that runs on top of an existing OS, like Debian. The main issue will be ensuring that you can source all the pre-reqisites for any particular Distro.

This Debian Package - SqueezeboxWiki should run on any Distro that is based on Debian (Ubuntu, anything that is Ubuntu based.. Rasbian, etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.