LMS streaming behavior and hardware needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I would like to run LMS 7.9. on a cheap PC or weak NAS. SqueezeLite on a Pi3. (Picore)

Does anyone know if LMS streams in the original material file format (I have flac mainly) or convert it in .wav ? Or by SquizeLite into the Pi3 ??

What is the max bit depth and FS LMS is streaming via TCP through the local network (better 1 Go Rj45 ports than 100 Mb ?) ? Proof to 24/192 or 32/384 ?

At the end what would be your advice to run LMS 7.9. with less than 1 To .flac Library please ?

Being not an Linux guy: does an old Synology NAS with LMS 7.9.0.6 , 800 Hz ARM & 128 Ram is enough.

( I read somewhere than the main problem with LMS was the network speed to improve surfing speed into its database & the I/O disk performance, not so much the Ram/processor?).

Many thanks for your help & inputs, regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would like to run LMS 7.9. on a cheap PC or weak NAS. SqueezeLite on a Pi3. (Picore)

I use piCorePlayer on Raspberry Pi 1B with self powered 2TB USB drive.

Does anyone know if LMS streams in the original material file format (I have flac mainly) or convert it in .wav ? Or by SquizeLite into the Pi3 ??

LMS can be set to stream in whatever. I use defaults.

What is the max bit depth and FS LMS is streaming via TCP through the local network (better 1 Go Rj45 ports than 100 Mb ?) ? Proof to 24/192 or 32/384 ?

I only use CD 16/44.1 so can't really comment. Most of my players are on low speed wifi with 100MB between LMS and router.

At the end what would be your advice to run LMS 7.9. with less than 1 To .flac Library please ?

Something that meets your expectations.

Being not an Linux guy: does an old Synology NAS with LMS 7.9.0.6 , 800 Hz ARM & 128 Ram is enough.

I'd be happy with it you may not. I won't expect fast rescans of the database or quick browsing via folders (why do people do that?)

( I read somewhere than the main problem with LMS was the network speed to improve surfing speed into its database & the I/O disk performance, not so much the Ram/processor?).

Expectations...

Some things that require more power
- streaming to multiple devices
- synching devices
- browsing folders
- fast rescanning of database
- upsampling
- format conversion
- LMS web interface
- fast copying large files across network

None of these are important to me, so a Raspberry Pi 1B is all I need. :D

As per the advice given by Mr Greg.

Here is my tuppence worth, leave your music files on the NAS, get the rpi3B and install piCorePlayer (use the standard version) and activate the LMS install within pCP on the pi.

All together a much better way to do things.:)

Any problems head over to the slimdevices forum, the pCP guys and lots of others will give you plenty of help.

Announce piCorePlayer 3.20

Ronnie

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the inputs. I left datas on the Synology NAS and LMS is running with its cache on the Pi3 : much more fast than the embeded Audiostation player of Synology (Archphile based). PicorePlayer is running perfectly. I will try to optimize the Pi3 by switching off some items in the PicorePlayer Advanced menu, but not sure to be able to hear a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.