Presonus Studio Channel with lots of noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

A friend of mine has a (very) small home studio where basically he makes recordings for commercials. If two guys are in there at the same time it feels kind of crowdy. This studio has a slightly damp environment.

He has a "Presonus Studio Channel" preamp, an "ART Digital MPA II" preamp, a "Focusrite Scarlett" 2 channel interface, a Mackie console and 2 KRK Rokit 8 monitors. And he uses a Rode NTK and a Focusrite CM25 mic.
All of his equipment (except for the mics) is cramped in this tiny home studio, The monitors next on both sides to the Presonus which is right under an LCD monitor connected to his laptop. Just below that are the ART preamp and the Focusrite interface.

1st question: The Presonus recently developed a strong hiss-like background noise. It uses a 12AX7 tube that came with the preamp. I checked this tube on my tube tester and it measures all right. Any idea about what might have happened?

2nd question: If all the equipment is stuffed next to each other (especially the Rokit 8 monitors), might this affect the sound quality? What possibilities are there for improvement?

Before the Presonus had this "hiss"-issue, everything seemed to be working all right.

Joined 2011
The Presonus recently developed a strong hiss-like background noise. It uses a 12AX7 tube
that came with the preamp. If all the equipment is stuffed next to each other (especially the
Rokit 8 monitors), might this affect the sound quality?

It could be oscillation in the solid state preamp circuits, rather than tube noise,
due to bad capacitors or solder joints.
The speakers should be at ear level and about 4'-6' apart, depending on how far away you are.

Last edited:
what type of tube tester was used in testing ? if it was a "simple emission" tester then it simply confirms that the tube works it says nothing about the quality... if it came with the unit and has had sufficient run time developing noise as emission life goes down is not unusual.
replacing the tube is not that difficult, then you can brag about "how you fixed a noisy Presonus unit!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.