noob: Rpi (or odroid) alternative to minidsp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
coming from a position of complete ignorance, it seems to me that a raspberry pi 3 (or similar) , with a multichannel in/out dac, some kind of realtime os build, and some dsp software, would be a much more powerful and cheap alternative to a minidsp.

has anyone done this successfully? im currently running an htpc, but i dont wish to have my soundsystem dependent on my bulky htpc for corossover eq and some room correction.

idea was to use a minidsp, but then i started thinking about a raspberry pi.. much cheaper and much more powerful. ive read about people running 32,000 tap per channel fir filters on them, as opposed to max 2048 on the minidsp, which is limiting for bass management.

however most of what ive seen refers to using the Rpi as the source, as well as the dsp.. i wish it to do realtime processing of 2 or more inputs, with similar/better delay than a minidsp.

what i want now, ideally is somebody to tell me that yes, it has been done, and that there is a set of noob-friendly instructions to create my own bulletproof version.

ive never even touched linux or raspberry pi, so when i say noob, i mean it.

Are all your sources digital? Mine weren't, so getting an analog signal into the pi was a stumbling block. So I went with a hypex DLCP for DSP.

How are you planning to connect the raspberry pi? For multichannel you can use USB or HDMI which are limited to 8 channels.

Well i was planning to use the usb audio input on the minidsp 2x4hd (it appears as a soundcard in windows on htpc ) , and avoid any conversion from dugital.. For practical reasons the sound must come from htpc via usb.

With rpi, it would be goid to have similar setup and keep it digital if poss.

I would however also like analogue inputs. Is that a problem with the Rpi? I'd imagined a usb audio interface (adc/dac) could handle both ins and outs..?

At the moment i only need stereo in, 4ch out (like 2x4hd)

But in future id like to be able to upgrade to 8ch in/out, sometjing the minidsp obviously wont allow without swapping for a *much* more expensive unit. - one reason i started thinking about more fiddly alternatives..

I dont mind doing even some quite hardcore learning to get something working (its half the fun) but i do need something that once setup, will be invisible (like minidsp)

My girlfriend already suffers the indignity of using a windows 7 pc (with wmc and a projector) for watching tv, with its occasional bluescreens and error messages etc. Etc. Cant be adding to her misery, she'll just insist on a samsung tv.

Last edited:
How do you normally get from your HTPC to your speakers? HDMI or USB?

There are a multitude of solutions for doing digital DSP processing. For analog in there are significantly less options. You would need an ADC which are rare unless you go for proaudio equipment. Schiit audio just released one that looks promising.

My setup is RPi3 plus a CM6206LX 5.1.
I run MoOde Audio with ALSA LADSPA plugins by Charlie Laub (ACDf plugins).

It's command line "traditional" programming and configuration. You have to know how to install packages onto Linux and edit ".conf" files.

If there is a glint of an idea to run active to tweeters, stick an appropriate cap on them first to provide a gent 1st degree crossover. It's liekly to save you blowing them up if (when?) the wires get crossed (or the coding goes squirrelly).

As a starting point, I think a more traditional Raspbian Linux with GUI would be better for the new user. Maybe run JACK with JCONVOLVER?

J.

How do you normally get from your HTPC to your speakers? HDMI or USB?

There are a multitude of solutions for doing digital DSP processing. For analog in there are significantly less options. You would need an ADC which are rare unless you go for proaudio equipment. Schiit audio just released one that looks promising.

hm it never occured to me that 8 channel adc's were so rare.

is there a way to run multiple 2 channel adc's ?

at the moment i am strictly 2 channel, and i have a sabre dac from hifimediy running over usb from my htpc.

due to my setup, with htpc and projector at rear of the room, and amp, speakers, tv tuner and ir remote on the other side of room, ive got it configured with the hdmi going to projector, and a 15m actiive usb cable running around to a hub with all other peripherals connected under screen.

i am absolutely fine with having the future multichannel stuff kept digital (i.e some way to get the surround sound from the htpc into the PI without conversion) but for me usb based is majorly preferable.. cant be fannying round with getting hdmi to front of room too.

i do have a requirement for at least a stereo analogue input though, so my girlfriend/visitors can plug in their phones/laptops etc for music without any fiddling round.

like i said im happy to jump on a learning curve (possibly not as far as learning linux use in its entirety, but i can learn to follow instructions for sure!) however id need to know its possible before jumping in.

key important features for me are

*plug and play, headless, once set up, power on with amp, starts working after as little time as possible.

*no flaky behaviour once up and running, my girlfriend will kill me if we have to constantly reboot the stereo as well as the htpc.

* low lag so it doesnt mess with lipsync in movies..

if somebody can tell me that these things are possible, i might well give it a shot.. otherwise ill just swallow my misgivings about the minidsp 2x4 hd and go with that, and replace it if i ever need more cpu power.

just seems like somebody should be selling a minidsp killer based on the pi... its got plenty of horsepower even for multichannel, and the price is very right, assuming inputs and outputs can be dealt with.

Last edited:
great. so now i just need to buy a rasberry pi, one of these, learn linux, find the right software, wade through the problems, and finally, get it working :)

at the moment im at the stage where opening any discussion thread on the raspberry pi gives me an instant headache.. all those error logs and code snippets..i literally dont understand most of the questions or any of the answers.. im a windows man you see. :eek:

however it looks like a fun project :)

Well, that is how it works if you want to make a non-standard device based on RPi as specified in your initial post.

yes, i appreciate that.. my projects always end up this way.. it was just supposed to be a small subwoofer.

now its a 2.1 system with 10 inch subs, cnc cut trnslam cabinets, active eq and room correction, with a completely untested system based on rpi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.