PC motherboard USB noise output to DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

If this is posted in the wrong section of the forum then I apologize and hope a moderator can move it to its rightful place.

I have an issue with my current setup. I have significant background noise from my usb output on my motherboard (independent of which port) when paired with the Henry Audio USB DAC 128 mkII and Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 amplifier.

If I use my alternate setup with an older Macbook Pro laptop as source and the same DAC and amplifier it is as far as I can hear quiet; at what I consider a comfortable listening volume. There is no discernable difference, to me, between the laptop running on battery or plugged in.

The same interconnects and USB cable is used for all scenarios.

Thus I am of the belief that the culprit is the computer motherboard. More than that is difficult to infer.

Are there any means of addressing this issue?

With regards,
ikek

I looked at the ADuM4160 which is a part of the kit you linked. From the data sheet it supports up to USB 2.0 at 12 Mbps.

My understanding is that the use of 24 bit 192khz capability of my dac require high speed USB 2.0 (480 Mbps).

I looked up the ADuM4160 on ebay and found a number of devices and some inform that they are USB 2.0 12 Mbps capable.

It should have been specified in the OP that I prefer an assembled ready for use device at present time.

ikek

I could not recall where I had that particular piece of information from. Some quick googling led me to:

USB Full Speed 12Mbps is sufficient for samples rates up to 96kHz/24bit. It will not work with DACs supporting 192kHz/24bit samples rates as this requires USB "High Speed" 480Mbps (the is currently no chips available supporting USB "High speed").
Source

The same site has a USB 2.0 High Speed Isolator but at 89 usd it feels a little rich.

ikek

1. Very often the 24bit format is actually transfered in 32bit samples. 32*192,000*2 = 12.288 Mbps excluding any control overhead.

2. The user guide of the linked norwegian DAC describes procedure for switching between low-res (UAC1) and hi-res (UAC2) modes. IMO the DAC in UAC2 mode presents itself as a USB hi-speed (480Mbps) device right away, unreachable via a mere full-speed (12Mbps) isolator.

My 2 cents.

Since the dac has the option to run in USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1, up to 24 bit / 48 ksps) or UAC2 (24 bit / 192) modes I run the dac in UAC1 mode for most normal uses apart from music listening. This is because Windows 10 does not play well with UAC2. Before Win10 Creators update there was no support for UAC2, and after I have had some snag when using Foobar2000. So I reverted back the dedicated drivers.

But I digress, if I run the dac in UAC1 mode, which I for the moment assume is at the 12 mbps USB rate, would a device like this "USB isolator magnetic coupling isolation" work when running the dac in UAC1 mode?

IMO the DAC in UAC2 mode presents itself as a USB hi-speed (480Mbps) device right away, unreachable via a mere full-speed (12Mbps) isolator.

Is there any USB 2 High Speed (480 Mbps) isolator on the market in a lower price bracket? Those devices I have found seem to be from 200 euro and upwards.

Alternately, are there other solutions to this particular issue of noise emitting from the motherboard?

ikek

Break your system down into the smallest collection of stuff that still plays music. Then use ground lift adapters on the various Power cords.

Very often the computer hash arises from currents flowing thru the green wire grounds getting into the audio grounds. Lifting the green wire grounds from the AC mains cords will let you see how much, if any, is originating from this source in your system.

Break your system down into the smallest collection of stuff that still plays music. Then use ground lift adapters on the various Power cords.

Very often the computer hash arises from currents flowing thru the green wire grounds getting into the audio grounds. Lifting the green wire grounds from the AC mains cords will let you see how much, if any, is originating from this source in your system.

I am uncertain whether I by default have such a system in situ given how everything is set up. Excuse me if my lack specific nomenclature but I will try to explain the setup at the best of my ability.

Everything runs on 230v. The wallsockets are not grounded. This was first a requirement for "dry" rooms here in the late 1990s and the building is older than this. From two separate wallsockets two surge protectors -one on each, but on the same circuit(?) -deliver the electricity to the the plethora of hardware. The computer and the amplifier is on the same surge protector with shielded power cables. The surge protector uses a shielded power cable to connect to the wall socket. The unbalanced RCA cables between DAC and amp are currently unshielded at one end. I have tried both shielded and unshielded for the RCA cables and it makes no difference.

Does the use of shielded power cables connecting the two devices to the surge protector possibly cause a ground loop? Which again creates or amplifies the issue?

as alway all help is appreciated,
ikek

Solved

Does the use of shielded power cables connecting the two devices to the surge protector possibly cause a ground loop? Which again creates or amplifies the issue?

djoffe got me thinking a little and I did a quick experiment by changing the power source of the amplifier from the same surge protector as the computer to another wall socket. The noise more or less disappeared. Of the original noise I would say 95 plus percent is gone at the output level I normally listen to music. Using a secondary outlet on the same wall socket gives, to my ears, the same outcome. Using the Macbook Pro on battery or from the wall socket (same secondary outlet as above) appears marginally quieter but that is a fight for another day.

I am currently happy that such a simple fix solved the problem and that I did not have to look into one of those fancy USB devices.

I would like to thank those that offered their advice, with regards
ikek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.