Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Current fave cheap DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Yatsushiro is online now Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

Blimey

Another decent conversation/discussion bites the dust...
Old 15th May 2017, 02:26 PM   #12
DJ le Roi is offline DJ le Roi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
"Kali + Piano 2.1"

I own both. I read about people raving about the 2.0 setup.

I honestly never felt motivated to go for that project.

As good as the Boss already is. I still prefer my DIY ES9023 + Kali setup in sync master-clock mode.

What I don't like about these PCM51xx based DACs in particular is that DSP (filters) inside.
I think you should try the Piano 2.1 in dual mono setting (Volumio). I also didn't feel the motivation to do it, but I did, and I like the dual mono setting very much. I also own both and I like the Boss (which I use with picoreplayer and a linear psu) very much but the imaging of the dual mono setting of the Piano is - in my opionion - very special. The sound is very open and attractive.

Do you consider the IFI psu as equal to linear power supplies? Or, do you consider it as better?

Last edited by DJ le Roi; 15th May 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 15th May 2017, 02:26 PM   #13
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

Yeah somehow I can't stand the argumentation like:"It's crappy because I said so!", by someone who obviously never even listened to it. especially on a thread called "Cheap DAC HAT" . Someone should still do an A-B test, and prove that linear power sources, and DACs costing upwards of 100 EUR (as proposed here) are really than much better than ones under 50 EUR, with a standard RPI power source.

Last edited by fb2017; 15th May 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb2017 View Post
Someone should still do an A-B test, and prove that linear power sources, and DACs costing upwards of 100 EUR (as proposed here) are really than much better than ones under 50 EUR, with a standard RPI power source.
Not necessarily. If they do, then what?

RPi Audio, and it's associated paraphernalia, whatever the cost, is about choice; yours, mine and Soundchecks.

I started out with an IQAudio DAC, found it a little sterile, or clean, for my music and listening, then moved on to a Mamboberry LS DAC, then a Piano 2.1 and a Boss, and now a little experimentation with a cheap ES9028Q2M. I know which my favourite is, and which one I'd prefer to use to listen to my music. I bet someone, somewhere, could show me the numbers to prove my choice is incorrect...
Old 15th May 2017, 03:40 PM   #15
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, this thread took off! OK, keep calm please...

The Allo Boss is $71.50 shipped, so is twice as expensive as the Hifiberry DAC+ and IQaudIO Pi-DAC+. It's right up there with the Mamboberry LS DAC+ ($75 shipped). So for me, it looks like the recommendable choices are:

For cheeeeep = IQaudIO PiDAC+ at $40 USD (including shipping).
Next step up = Allo Boss DAC at $71.50 USD (including shipping).

It's possible an Allo Piano 2.1 + Kali combo is slightly better than the Boss DAC by itself when run dual-mono, but costs $115.50 USD with shipping, not including a better 5VDC PSU.

Thanks for your input, everybody.
--
Old 16th May 2017, 07:49 AM   #16
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ le Roi View Post
I think you should try the Piano 2.1 in dual mono setting (Volumio). I also didn't feel the motivation to do it, but I did, and I like the dual mono setting very much. I also own both and I like the Boss (which I use with picoreplayer and a linear psu) very much but the imaging of the dual mono setting of the Piano is - in my opionion - very special. The sound is very open and attractive.

Do you consider the IFI psu as equal to linear power supplies? Or, do you consider it as better?
Ok. You got me. I'll try the Piano in dual mono. Is it gonna be dual double mono or dual single mono ?
Is there any short track info available?

The stock iFi IMO lacks a bit of power/time in comparison to some of my linears.
That'll lead to something some might call it a bit "flat" sounding or might conclude about slightly weaker dynamics.
There are IMO good reasons for it - just by looking at the device!

My measures fighting that:
1. I cut that extremely long cable down to around 10inches and reattached the ferrite.
2. I added some fast low esr buffer capacity at the end of the cable.
3. I don't use the stock plugs or adapters. I solder the cable right to the device or use Wago connectors.

With these measures in place I'm not tempted to replace this setup with any of my linear supplies.

I do very well understand why somebody would prefer a good linear supply over a stock iFi iPower "without" above measures in place.
However. IMO it's not about SMPS vs. linear, it's again about the implementation of it.

And not to forget. The application IMO also has an impact! It's different if u run a PI or router with an iFi or if you run a DAC with it. My router runs with a stock version my DAC gets a tweaked version.

Enjoy.
Old 16th May 2017, 08:20 AM   #17
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@soundcheck

To get Piano 2.1 in dual mono you will need this version of Volumio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwR...dRWmY1dlk/view

Selecting 2.0 mode will give dual stereo. Selecting 2.1 mode will give dual mono from the outer RCAs, the inner ones being inactive.
Old 16th May 2017, 11:07 AM   #18
LC1979 is offline LC1979
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Yatsushiro;5080721]I started out with an IQAudio DAC, found it a little sterile, or clean, for my music and listening, then moved on to a Mamboberry LS DAC, then a Piano 2.1 and a Boss, and now a little experimentation with a cheap ES9028Q2M. I know which my favourite is...[/QUOTE]

Go on then, I'll bite

Which one wins for you?
Old 16th May 2017, 12:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
Go on then, I'll bite

Which one wins for you?
Hi Luke

I actually have two current favourites (different rooms, different acoustics etc) :

#1 Allo Boss, RPi2, TPA3250 into Q Acoustics 2050i

#2 Mamboberry LS DAC+, RPi3, TPA3251 into Q Acoustics 3020

I'm also quite enjoying a 5v battery pack powered RPi Zero W, with an IQAudio DAC+ driving a pair of HD681EVO headphones when I'm in the garden.

All of my RPis run PCP.
Old 16th May 2017, 12:43 PM   #20
LC1979 is offline LC1979
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
I actually have two current favourites (different rooms, different acoustics etc) .
Hi Yatsushiro,

Like choosing your favourite child

Interesting, thanks. You may recall I was about to buy the Mamboberry, partly on your recommendation, but opted for the Boss. No regrets at all, sounds great. I suspect I would have been just as happy with the Mambo LS.

And for the OP, for what it's worth, I lived happily with an IQaudio for many years and thought that was great too. The improvement I feel I have gained in the Boss is noticeable and pleasing to me, but not entirely earth-shattering. You pay your money and make your choice!

Current fave cheap DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?Hide this!Advertise here!