Multi-channel DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for a not too expensive multi-channel DAC so that I could experiment with active crossovers in the digital domain using APO equaliser.

The product I purchased is an ASUS XONAR U7. This has quite good specs for a 7.1 DAC and I'm very happy with. It's USB powered and very quiet.

I've implemented a 3-way crossover using Linkwitz-Riley filters which can be implemented in APO by cascading 2nd order Butterworth filters.

The only minor downside is that being such a small device, 3.5mm stereo jacks are required to interface it.

I have Asus Xonar U7 and think of upgrade. Did you have the chance to hear also Xonar U7?

Looks u guys use ASUS U7, can i warn you if OS is Windows you should check via loopback if you on latest driver version for phase distortions.

Here is mine loopback 44,1kHz on latest driver Win7 using ASIO, absolut phase/min phase/Excess phase curves as should be are close in coherence.
attachment.php

Here is same loopback 44,1kHz on latest driver Win7 using WDM, amplitude is overall -3dB lower plus a bump around 115Hz but it gets worse in it also has build in 1080º excess phase as was there 3 times 4th order XO points finding place. Long ago contacted their support department but all they did was clean up a bit on support page for U7 so in a way they must mean it seriously.
attachment.php

Can't live with above performance myself :mad: so use one of the older drivers to get WDM phase follow amplitude as a real minimum phase device.

Attachments

• 2000.png
    2000.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 2001.png
    2001.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.