ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Does anybody know if the ESS controller would work with only 3.3V? I have it connected to the DAC board currently and the FifoPi is powered by a 3.3V supply so J5 and thus pins 2 and 4 only provide 3.3V.

PN on the part is STM32F030C8T6
STM32F030C8T6 STMicroelectronics | Mouser

Its a 3.3V part.
Ian must have a 5 to 3.3V convertor on the controller board.
Seems like you would need to bypass whatever convertor he uses.

Randy

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can, but the OPA1612 is a better choice for U2 & U3. The OPA1622 is more suited as a single-ended output opamp when you are driving headphones. Others have reported the OPA1612 is a better sounding opamp (I've not compared to the OPA1622 yet). I compared it to some others and it is VERY good and is competitive with the much more expensive Sparkos discrete opamps, though I personally prefer the latter.

Greg in Mississippi

Hi to all,
starting with MoOde 5.2 is it possible to select IanFIFO II as I2S audio device.
Is it the best choice with Ian FifoPI + ES90382Qm ?

Ian suggest to use a distribution with ES9038 driver.
MoOde has several of them (like Audiophonics ES9038 pre 2019) or a HifiBerry DAC+ (and also in this case there are several version like ADC or DSP, or Light or PRO)

In the end, which driver has to be used ?

PS: I tried all of them and all seem to work.

Hi to all,
starting with MoOde 5.2 is it possible to select IanFIFO II as I2S audio device.
Is it the best choice with Ian FifoPI + ES90382Qm ?

Ian suggest to use a distribution with ES9038 driver.
MoOde has several of them (like Audiophonics ES9038 pre 2019) or a HifiBerry DAC+ (and also in this case there are several version like ADC or DSP, or Light or PRO)

In the end, which driver has to be used ?

PS: I tried all of them and all seem to work.

@paoloilpizzo

To use FifoII with moode, you need select general I2S device of HifiBerry Lite (not pro or plus) driver. Or select Ian Fifo, if it is still there.

Regards,
Ian

I'm using FifoPI not FifoII
Is it the same ?

You can use above driver for FifoPi without any problem.

However if you run it with ES9038Q2M dual or ES8028Q2M DAC HAT with ESS controller, you can use Hifiberry DAC+ in case you want to use Web based volume control. Please see ESS controller user's manual for details.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I got my DAC finally hooked up and working properly using Ropieee for Roon. Just changed the SE output opamp to OPA1612 for now but planning on testing the Sparkos one. I'm resampling everything to 32/384 using Roon DSP. Normally upsampling everything to DSD256 but in this case, the Pi does not make it possible.

I still have to change the clocks to higher quality ones. I've ordered some NDK SDA 45 and 49 from Lorien (on this forum) and received my first order, but then realize they are very tiny, they must measure 4mm x 3mm or close to this... and they won't natively fit your Crystek adaptor without adding leads on each side. Do you know if I do this, do I install all the smd caps on the adaptor as well?

I have one single request for you. Could you make a large display controller as an option? It would be great to put on the front panel of a nice case.

Thanks!
Do

Hi Ian,

I got my DAC finally hooked up and working properly using Ropieee for Roon. Just changed the SE output opamp to OPA1612 for now but planning on testing the Sparkos one. I'm resampling everything to 32/384 using Roon DSP. Normally upsampling everything to DSD256 but in this case, the Pi does not make it possible.

I still have to change the clocks to higher quality ones. I've ordered some NDK SDA 45 and 49 from Lorien (on this forum) and received my first order, but then realize they are very tiny, they must measure 4mm x 3mm or close to this... and they won't natively fit your Crystek adaptor without adding leads on each side. Do you know if I do this, do I install all the smd caps on the adaptor as well?

I have one single request for you. Could you make a large display controller as an option? It would be great to put on the front panel of a nice case.

Thanks!
Do

It needs some skills to assemble the NDKs. Maybe I will design a dedicate NDA adapter, even though it still not that easy. Just hope some other community members can share their experience.

Yes, you'll need those capacitors.

Regards,
Ian

You can use above driver for FifoPi without any problem.

However if you run it with ES9038Q2M dual or ES8028Q2M DAC HAT with ESS controller, you can use Hifiberry DAC+ in case you want to use Web based volume control. Please see ESS controller user's manual for details.

Ian

Hi Ian,
My setting is fifoPi ultimate + 9238q2m dualmono
I'm using Moode 5.3 with FifoII driver.
I can't play music higher than 32/192 but I can play DoP 128 & 256
Do you know why?

when I choose audiophonics 9038 I can play 32/384 but dop 128 and 256 are stuttering.

Do you know if there is a solution to this issue?

Thank you

Here's one of the NDK SDA clock mounted on the clock adapter board... Not too hard but required some good magnification... Look at the tweezers beside it.

2019-06-06 22.09.56.jpg

All the other smd components are also mounted (not pictured). Since I'm currently upsampling everything to 32/384, I only needed to change the 49MHz clock for now.

All the best!
Do

Here's one of the NDK SDA clock mounted on the clock adapter board... Not too hard but required some good magnification... Look at the tweezers beside it.

View attachment 761422

All the other smd components are also mounted (not pictured). Since I'm currently upsampling everything to 32/384, I only needed to change the 49MHz clock for now.

All the best!
Do

What software are you using for the upsampling?

Ian