ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Ian.

I just posted this over in the Katana thread.

Basically asking how to get rid of using multiple supplies to feed a PI-HAT tower. Basically a single supply with multiple highest quality isolated
outlets would be required - I guess - without knowing why there are differences (usually improvements) when hooking up multiple supplies.

Did I understand it correctly that your supercap boards could do such a job?

Basically in a case where I use 3xiFi iPower or similar just e.g. 3 of your supercap boards could be used - fed by multiple charging stages - hooked up to a single mains outlet!?!? Am I on the right track with this assumption?

Of course there'll be different loads per outlet to be taken care of!?!?
There might even be different voltages per outlet required to be taken care of.

Any further opinions about this subject around here?

Thx.

Last edited:
Pure 3000F Maxwell ultracapacitors as main power supply

Tested today on my system. Sound quality has never been so good as this.

With 0.29 mOhms (0.58 mOhms for two) ESR (true ESR of passive component without any feedback), and 100A capable continuous output current (can up to 9300A when short circuit:D), it could be the best power supply we'v ever had.

I ran it at both 3.3V for my ESS DAC HAT and 5V for RPi.

It lasts 30 minutes running RPi from 5.3V to 4.7V, like a black hole without any noise.

Comparing with the sound quality, I really don't think size is matter. I'm considering to design a 3.3V/5V main power supply with those monster ultra capacitors.

3000fUltraCapacitorPowerSupply
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Congrat Ian...i know exactly what you hear, and that is no more back to ordinary power supply.
Next step is ...unsolder switching regulator from rpi...more important are 1.8 and 3,3v voltages not primary 5V. Because 1cm2 of Gnd (around switching regulator) where all filtering is concentrared cant*t take away all the garbage and this gnd polute almost all gnd on rpi. My temporary set is ...Master accu 5,6V than tps for 5V and tps for 3,3V and 2xlt3045 for 1,8v...maybe 1 is also enough. then supercaps after 1.8v and 3.3V...of course just on Rpi. Sound is excellent. Deep dark wide soundstage, relaxed, microdetails are so easy to hear, no tenssion in side head because of hidden garbage noise inside music after long listening. Music has same big energy from bass till the tweet.
I am waiting for good battery managment for Maxwell supercaps before buying them and tested them.
Btw, i still use rpi 2B+ 32 and 64bit version, so next goal will be modifying 3B+. For now i don*t hear to dsd and no need for faster cpu and usb port. And don*t need wifi because of bad influence on sound.
Which software do you use on Rpi?

There's IMO a difference between Super-/Ultracap PS and a Super-/Ultracap BUFFER.

Uptone has an UltraCap PS with an LDO on the output.
Not sure what Naim is doing. I doubt they run a plain buffer.
Both then would be different devices.

What Ian just tried is just a buffer. No regulation, just charging.
Nothing can beat such a buffer in current delivery capability.
It'll act like a highest quality battery.

These buffers need an intelligent charging scheme though.
That's the challenge.

And the nice thing with such a setup is that you can run easily different voltages on the same buffer. Just the charging voltage would have to be adjusted.

The connection between the 2 supercapacitor is also to see ,Maxwell recommended a bus bar which can be welded,but only by laser welding
that's the ideal connection
I feed the I2S to PCM converter and the clock board together at 3,3V,with the Maxwell 2000F it allows me 2 hours of music from 3.45V to 3.15V.
Compare with a Reflektor and Lifpo4 the vocals,low frequency,and depth are much better.
https://www.zupimages.net/up/18/32/qnh4.jpg

My recent acquisition:D

Genuine A123 26650 LifePO4 battery cells.

All above 3.4V, still tons of life time :)

LifePO4BatteryPack
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

It seems that you are currently trying to find a way to implement the ideal, that using a 18650 battery to charge super capacitor and then power it directly from the super capacitor without LDOs, I mentioned earlier.