ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Greg> Who am I to argue. That post was indeed borderline article material.

Sorry, I tend to write verbose posts. If you think they are bad, you should see one of my emails!

I think we agree on most things but use very different language. I totally agree that my previous post was a very simplified description. To be perfectly frank, if I tried using complicated language I would probably just embarrass myself.

I think you do very well. I suspect English is not your first language... I know I'd be lost trying to write in any other language.

I believe in simplicity where possible. I usually try to work with basic physics as much as possible. Keeping it simple leaves less room for errors. I am an amateur after all. :)

I agree that simple is best for amateurs (such as myself). That's why I tend to use multiple power supplies... a pro (such as John Swenson) can do as well or better with a single supply. I cannot, but I can do darned well with multiple ones. EVEN though that seems complex, using multiple supplies is a simple way to improve power supplies in a DIY setup over a single (but well-engineered) complex one. BUT when one can engineer that complex one, they will likely do better... or at least as well with lower cost and real-estate.

I also believe in the law of diminishing returns. The trick lies in finding a good balance.

I look at this as more of a matter of how far one is willing to go. I haven't found a limit to improvements yet and have a LONG set of lists of things to try. AND I've found that sometimes something that produces a small improvement by itself will enable larger improvements by other techniques. It's complicated.

I guess I also both take some pride and pleasure in making those improvements... its all in service of the music... and I had several goose-bump moments this weekend with my systems that would not have happened without some 'minor' improvements over the last several months.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

Never underestimate the power of an eargasm. ;)
It’s all good, I enjoy reading detailed posts, it gives me an opportunity to learn something.
And a small disclaimer... I’m very aware that I tend to do things differently than most people.
My last major project was a pair of speakers and I went against almost all common rules of thumb. Instead I worked with basic physics and so far I’m very happy and have had very positive response. Most people are dumbfounded and in disbelief. They are surprised at the results to say the least.
I’m hoping to pull off a similar feat with this RPi DAC. Go slow, follow my own ideas and focus on well built basic components in a well matched system. :)
I suspect I’d be happy if I had even one of your supplies, lol.

Greg, Mark - thanks. I think I'll wait a bit more and search for your recommended gears.. educating myself a bit.. ('til now I planned to use the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro external DAC via PS-Audio-like HDMI connection into the player's HDMI port but maybe I'll stay at a "cheapo" solution and 24/96/optical conn).

1. PASS XP-10 line-stage preamplifier
In balanced input and output configuration
Power has never been turned off according to Nelson Pass's suggestion

2. PASS X350.5 power amplifier
Warm up at least one hour before any listening test

3. B&W 804 speakers

MySystem
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

nice system!

I believe you can make a great source device based on this system.

Nice Ikea lamp! :D

I'd be really curious how e.g. an Anaview amp module connected differential right to your DAC
would sound in comparison to these Pass monsters.

One comment to your "Pi3 vs. PI2 and WLAN-off" topic:

Did you try

Code:
# turn wifi and bluetooth off
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

in /boot/config.txt ?

I don't see any reason to stay with a PI2 btw.
The PIs usually advance not just on bold features. They usually also improve the board layout,
power supply rails etc. They step up chip revisions asf. asf.
Bottom line. I wouldn't jump on a new board right at launch. I do jump after 3 to 6 months - as soon
as the dust settles and the firmware and drivers are getting stable.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Sweet rig Ian.
Very different from mine, lol.
Love Nelson’s gear but I’ve a somewhat more difficult relationship with B&W.
I could never afford the premium stuff, so I ended up building it for myself instead. ;)

I like PASS stuffs. Nelson was a diyer, his amplifiers is more close to our audiophile's taste. I like the nature sound style.

I have a Krell 250 too. It's powerful and with beautiful high range, but just not as nature as X350.5. I use it for my Dolby Atmos theater now.

I built a Pass Aleph 5 clone many years ago, but the sound was not as good as X series. I had some good deal for used Pass amplifiers in Canada and USA. Yes, they are too expensive for brand new.

Regards,
Ian

Nice Ikea lamp! :D

I'd be really curious how e.g. an Anaview amp module connected differential right to your DAC
would sound in comparison to these Pass monsters.

One comment to your "Pi3 vs. PI2 and WLAN-off" topic:

Did you try

Code:
# turn wifi and bluetooth off
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

in /boot/config.txt ?

I don't see any reason to stay with a PI2 btw.
The PIs usually advance not just on bold features. They usually also improve the board layout,
power supply rails etc. They step up chip revisions asf. asf.
Bottom line. I wouldn't jump on a new board right at launch. I do jump after 3 to 6 months - as soon
as the dust settles and the firmware and drivers are getting stable.

Enjoy.

Hi soundcheck,

Thank you for noticed my Ikea lamp, it's doing great job to light up my DAC HAT :).

I have a Pi 3. I'll try your wifi configuration to see if I can 100% shut off the RF signal. Some audio gears are very sensitive to RF noise when they are exposed closed to wifi antennas, such as OPA1622. I'll do some real measurement to the RF noise levels. I'll post some update once I have.

Regards,
Ian

OPPO Sonic ES9038Pro DAC, my reference of test

OPPO Sonic DAC has ESS flagship 32-bit HyperStream DAC chip ES9038Pro. And it's also a fully balanced design. That are the reasons I choose this DAC as the reference of my test.

OPPO Sonica DAC

OPPO has some pretty decent audio products at reasonable price. But it's too bad that all of them have been discontinued recently. I think audiophile grad gears don't make enough money for them. And now, they would focus on cell phone business only.

OppoSonicDAC2
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Attachments

• 41192884135_320848c74d_h.jpg
    41192884135_320848c74d_h.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 1,021
Last edited:
I like PASS stuffs. Nelson was a diyer, his amplifiers is more close to our audiophile's taste. I like the nature sound style.

I have a Krell 250 too. It's powerful and with beautiful high range, but just not as nature as X350.5. I use it for my Dolby Atmos theater now.

I built a Pass Aleph 5 clone many years ago, but the sound was not as good as X series. I had some good deal for used Pass amplifiers in Canada and USA. Yes, they are too expensive for brand new.

Regards,
Ian

Can you introduce your Dolby Atmos theater?

My Dolby Atmos theater is marantz av8802a and ToneWinner AD-8P (Chinese brand)

OPPO Sonic DAC has ESS flagship 32-bit HyperStream DAC chip ES9038Pro. And it's also a fully balanced design. That are the reasons I choose this DAC as the reference of my test.

OPPO Sonica DAC

OPPO has some pretty decent audio products at reasonable price. But it's too bad that all of them have been discontinued recently. I think audiophile grad gears don't make enough money for them. And now, they would focus on cell phone business only.

OppoSonicDAC2
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

In below $3,000, you should consider L.K.S Audio MH-DA004. Although, MH-DA004 is a unnecessary double-ess9038 design. MH-DA004 may only be using CCHD-957 so that it is much much better than OPPO Sonica DAC. It is not surprising that OPPO Sonica DAC exits the market.

Amazon.com: L.K.S Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038pro Flagship DAC DSD Input Coaxial BNC AES EBU for DoP USB I2S Optical Audio Decoder (Black Upgraded USB Version): Electronics

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After a busy couple of weeks, I'm back at home and able to spend some time on my audio projects. First up was changing the trim cap on my 2 current transformer output setups for Ian's ES9028Q2M DAC card from 470pF to 1000pF. That moved the sound into the 'just right' range. I suspect I personally might prefer the sound at 1200pF or even 1500pF, but I bet most will like it just as I'm hearing it now.

With the 1000pF on the Onetics transformers, I'm really enjoying the sound on a variety of recordings. While this setup MAY lack a tiny bit of the ultimate in dynamics, impact, and slam compared to my other reference RPi DAC, my HotRod Dial, it still satisfies in those areas and is VERY good in vocal naturalness, detailing, layering, and composure during complex passages.

Still a bunch of things to try... LL1570XL with 1000pF, LL1684's, sync mode, DAC settings including filters & DPLL bandwidth, some active I/V stages, using multiple LT3042 regulator boards (once those devices in that package are again available... not only are Digikey and Mouser out, but even AD/Linear has them on B/O!), etc. BUT I'm really grooving what I'm hearing now & don't feel much motivation to do anything but listen!

Ian, again, I'm very excited by your development of a combo isolator / FIFO / DOP-converter card. AND I think using the Sonica as a comparison reference is appropriate. I need to get my Twisted Pear Buffalo IIIPro setups running for a similar comparison.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Ian, while my systems are not at the same level as yours, I believe they are near and still very revealing and useful in auditioning various configurations and options on your RPi setups. This system includes a PS Audio BHK-250 amp, Eminent Technology LFT-VIII speakers (with upgraded mid/tweeter crossovers), and a S&B TX102 volume control. There's a bunch of tweaks and mods, with all of the LMS music server gear and related network gear powered by DIY'd linear supplies and the core audio components fed from a PS Audio P10 AC regenerator. My 2nd system is very similar, though it is configured to be a bit more close-in, revealing perspective while this one is in a larger room with significant room treatment and provides a more natural sense of space. More details available via PM or email, if desired.

Last edited:
After a busy couple of weeks, I'm back at home and able to spend some time on my audio projects. First up was changing the trim cap on my 2 current transformer output setups for Ian's ES9028Q2M DAC card from 470pF to 1000pF. That moved the sound into the 'just right' range. I suspect I personally might prefer the sound at 1200pF or even 1500pF, but I bet most will like it just as I'm hearing it now.

With the 1000pF on the Onetics transformers, I'm really enjoying the sound on a variety of recordings. While this setup MAY lack a tiny bit of the ultimate in dynamics, impact, and slam compared to my other reference RPi DAC, my HotRod Dial, it still satisfies in those areas and is VERY good in vocal naturalness, detailing, layering, and composure during complex passages.

Still a bunch of things to try... LL1570XL with 1000pF, LL1684's, sync mode, DAC settings including filters & DPLL bandwidth, some active I/V stages, using multiple LT3042 regulator boards (once those devices in that package are again available... not only are Digikey and Mouser out, but even AD/Linear has them on B/O!), etc. BUT I'm really grooving what I'm hearing now & don't feel much motivation to do anything but listen!

Ian, again, I'm very excited by your development of a combo isolator / FIFO / DOP-converter card. AND I think using the Sonica as a comparison reference is appropriate. I need to get my Twisted Pear Buffalo IIIPro setups running for a similar comparison.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Ian, while my systems are not at the same level as yours, I believe they are near and still very revealing and useful in auditioning various configurations and options on your RPi setups. This system includes a PS Audio BHK-250 amp, Eminent Technology LFT-VIII speakers (with upgraded mid/tweeter crossovers), and a S&B TX102 volume control. There's a bunch of tweaks and mods, with all of the LMS music server gear and related network gear powered by DIY'd linear supplies and the core audio components fed from a PS Audio P10 AC regenerator. My 2nd system is very similar, though it is configured to be a bit more close-in, revealing perspective while this one is in a larger room with significant room treatment and provides a more natural sense of space. More details available via PM or email, if desired.

Hi Greg,

Good to know you are back for your audio project now. Looking forward to your progress.

I was very busy too in the last weeks for some FDA applications. I did the listening test on the weekend with some interesting results. I'll post the update very soon after some organizing.

Regards,
Ian

New RPi I2S adapter

I designed a new RPi I2S adapter.

Besides the u.fl I2S connectors, it also has:

1. External ESS controller connector.
With this connector, it can be easily connected as external controller through a standard FFC/FPC cable. So the controller can be mounted to the panel for some applications.

2. I2C connector
For external ESS DAC control.

3. +5V connector
Ready for power Pi from GPIO

NewRpiI2SAdapter1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Isolated external controller is highly recommended.

As always, I'm highly recommended to plug this adapter into the non-isolated GPIO of IsolatorPi, while the DAC HAT into the isolated GPIO. In this case, the external controller becomes 100% isolated from the DAC HAT. I call it "ghost controller " in this case:D.

NewRpiI2SAdapter3
by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited: