Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2018, 10:42 PM   #481
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Can't wait then... Do think -/+15V Supercap PSU is also doable?
Old 18th June 2018, 10:48 PM   #482
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default OPA861 fully balanced I/V stage for RPi ESS DAC HAT

OPA861 fully balanced I/V stage PCB samples arrived last week. After a quick listening test, I have to say it's really really good. I never thought those small things can sound as good as that.

Actually OPA861 is very special, it's almost the perfect solution I can ever found for I/V stage:

1. Zero feedback, similar to passive solutions such I/V transformers or I/V resistors

2. True current input mode with impedance only around 10 ohm. ( 0 Ohm is the is the ideal input impedance of a current mode I/V stage, but it doesn't exist in the real world.)

3. 80Mhz high bandwidth and 900V/us slew rate. The speed is very good for a ESS DAC running at 50-100MHz MCLK.

OPA861 was very successful as I/V stage for TDA1541. And there are a lot of good reviews from audiophiles.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Interview with Pedja Rogic of Audial

OPA861 for I/V

OPA861 zero-feedback output stage of AYA II – Audial

K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

I think it was overlooked by people in recent years however.

In picture is the first balanced OPA861 I/V stage for ESS DACs. I hope very soon I'll run another full listening test to get it compare with Transformer I/V, OP amplifier I/V and the coming OPA1632 I/V.

Click the image to open in full size.
OPA861IV_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPA861IV_2.jpg (305.3 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg OPA861IV_3.jpg (267.2 KB, 466 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IVOPA861BalancedIVschematic.pdf (7.6 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by iancanada; 18th June 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 19th June 2018, 12:56 AM   #483
diyaudnut is offline diyaudnut  United States
diyAudio Member

Ian,

That looks great.

I am really hoping you will enable a way to use multiple of these with your MC FIFO for a multichannel DAC solution.
In fact a single board hosting 4x IV could offer incrementally better performance due to increased board space and larger shared power planes.

PC based DSP is very flexible and there is a need for good quality multichannel DAC.

I know you are primarily focused on Rasp Pi based stereo systems, but you have developed so many sub blocks that enabling DSP based systems also is possible now.

Thanks for sharing your work.

JP
Old 19th June 2018, 01:56 AM   #484
ofswitched is offline ofswitched  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
@Greg, @Alex

I'm quite excited about the sound quality of ultarcapacitor power supply.

I spent a whole day on weekend listening music with my ESS DAC HAT and the two 350F ultracapacitors. They make me discovering more from the music that I've listened for hundreds of times.

I designed a small ultracapacitor power supply board for RPi. A pair of Maxwell 350F, or 325F can be used as main 3.3V or 5V DC power. Hopefully I'll receive the prototype PCB next week. Maybe I can share some of the PCBs with you guys if you are also interested in trying this new option.

I'll do more test with this ultracapacitor power supply. I'll include it into this project if I'm happy with the result.

Have a good weekend
Ian
It's amazing for so fast that PCB design has been completed. hoping it has good results.
Old 19th June 2018, 02:07 AM   #485
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hes a machine! Hehe
Old 19th June 2018, 12:00 PM   #486
Nag is offline Nag  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I brought DAC board ES9028Q2M board from china as Ian has good opinion on that DAC chip. It has JRC5532DD opamp. I am going to buy Raspberry pi 3 B+ model. Can I use raspberry universal power supply or power bank to power up the Raspberry.
any mods suggested. I want to play flac and mp3 files.
Thanks,
Nag.

Last edited by Nag; 19th June 2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 19th June 2018, 12:07 PM   #487
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nag View Post
Hi Guys,

I brought DAC board ES9028Q2M board from china as Ian has good opinion on that DAC chip. It has JRC5532DD opamp. I am going to buy Raspberry pi 3 B+ model. Can I use raspberry universal power supply or power bank to power up the Raspberry.
any mods suggested. I want to play flac and mp3 files.
Thanks,
Nag.
The best mod you can do from here is to get es9038q2m Ian board for Pi

I really mean it. There is bunch of things you would have to do to your board to get good sound starting from replacing chip for es9038q2m, then clean 3.3V for avcc, then replacing clock to low phase noise one with clean 3.3V supply, better I/V stage ... why bother? unless you have plenty of time and you want to play ...

Last edited by TioFrancotirador; 19th June 2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:20 PM   #488
clsidxxl is offline clsidxxl  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
I'll post some pictures of my RPi ultracapacitor power supply for sure right after I get the PCB samples.

Regards,
Ian

I understand Ian,thank.Have you also planned the design of an ultracapacitor power supply for feed your clock card and I2S to PCM board.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:25 PM   #489
EaZy is offline EaZy  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I just bought the following I2S card from Audiophonics :
ESS ES9028Q2M Module DAC I2S 32bit 384khz DSD Symetrique Regulateurs 1x LT1963 - Audiophonics
It is powered using the recommended toroidal transformer.
Used on my new Raspberry 3 B+ along with the Allo Kali reclocker.

I installed Volumio following the install instructions : without the DAC, it plays flawlessly my music on the jack output and also through AirPlay (although I still have indexing problems : about 1/10th of my music Library stored on my 1 To hard drive is available) .

But when I connect the DAC board I cannot stream music through Airplay, it is mixed with some sort of white noise. Also the startup sound is distorted.
Curiously on the other hand, music stored on the local hard drive directly connected to the RPi plays well (really well!!) out of the RCA outputs.

I already installed the last plugin through ssh and tried different DACs in the Playback menu. I also set 32 bit resampling (otherwise neither 16 bit nor 24 bit Flac are played, or again with this white-noisish music).
Is there anything I'm missing?

Do I need a different plugin for this board?

Shall I go to another player (Moode,? DietPi?) with more chances of succes?

Any help will be very appreciated!!
Old 20th June 2018, 03:31 AM   #490
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ian,

Your products always look so professional and high quality! Well done!

Do

ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!