Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Asus Tinker
Asus Tinker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2017, 09:46 PM   #1
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker
Default Asus Tinker

Looks like it's very media targeted:

ASUS - 90MB0QY1-M0EAY0 - Tinker Board | CPC UK

24/192, 4k.

Anyone have any plans for these?
Old 26th January 2017, 05:19 PM   #2
rpi is offline rpi  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI:
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-...-Tinker-board-
Old 26th January 2017, 05:22 PM   #3
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpi View Post
I wondered about that. Would be great if the GPIO was truly compatible with the Pi.

Thank you for the link!
Old 13th February 2017, 11:45 PM   #4
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

NOTE: the link is now dead and "Asus Tinker" or the part number doesn't bring up any hits on the CPC UK web site.

Sure, I would like to get my hands on one of these to test it out, especially the quality of the onboard audio codec. It's more than twice as expensive as the R-Pi 3, so it remains to be seen if it is really worth it for the kind of audio processing that I do (IIR filtering).

Here is a nice detailed comparison between R-Pi 3 and the Tinker board:
www.cnx-software.com/2017/01/05/asus-tinker-board-is-a-raspberry-pi-3-alternative-based-on-rockchip-rk3288-processor/

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 13th February 2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 15th February 2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

For the price of the (unproven and no-community) Tinker, I can nearly buy a Pi3+IQ Audio DAC.

If I go with a generic i2s dac, I can get both for less than the 55+ they want for the Tinker.

I'll pass.
Old 15th February 2017, 10:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Um, the Tinker has a built in 24/192 DAC implemented using a RealTek chip. Not like the crap audio out used on the Pi platform. It's likely pretty good, although I would for sure like to see some measurements.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I understand that, but it's still not enough to sway me.

I can buy a complete Pi system from IQ Audio, including his fantastic DAC, for 70

From Asus I can buy a board for 55, then have to buy SD, psu, case, etc. as well as some way of connecting the s/pdif 'hole' to an audio device, and all that without knowing that their OS is stable and bug-free, vs buying a cheaper, more tested and proven system.

Of course there will always be some other board to try and be the best. We've seen any number of clones, 'improved' Pi designs and competitors trying to move us on to a 'better' platform, and yet it's the Pi with the 5+M sales. There's a very good reason for that.

I'm sure that for some people this will be a boon, but I'm not one of them. There's nothing in this offering, for me, to change.

And you can't buy them.

Quote:
Update: 17/02/2017
A member of the Asus Marketing team read this review and contacted Hackaday with some updated information. According to our discussion, the Tinker Board has not officially launched. This explains a lot about the current state of the Tinker Board. As Jenny mentions in her review below, the software support for the board is not yet in place, and as comments on this review have mentioned, you can’t source it in the US and most other markets. An internal slide deck was leaked on SlideShare shortly after CES (which explains our earlier coverage), followed by one retailer in the UK market selling the boards ahead of Asus’ launch date (which is how we got our hands on this unit).
Old 15th February 2017, 11:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootalaws View Post
I understand that, but it's still not enough to sway me.

I can buy a complete Pi system from IQ Audio, including his fantastic DAC, for 70
That not a bad deal, actually!

IQ Audio was not really on my radar, but I will check them out. Thanks for posting about it.
Old 13th July 2017, 02:31 PM   #9
vdi_nenna is offline vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Last weekend I picked up an ASUS Tinker Board (TB), Verbatim Pro+ microSD card and RPi 3 box. Already had 2.5A micro USB power supply. Downloaded the Volumio version for Tinker Board. Connected to the Soekris DAM1021 DAC. Works great. Sounds great. Much better than RPi3. There is a lot of noise with the RPi3. TB is quiet and smooth.

It sounds as good as my $300+, external linear supply, 4gb RAM, onboard CPU with heat sink server. It is a good sounding server, but since installing the TB, I haven't felt the need to install the bigger server in the TBs place.

Total cost of the TB build is $100 US, plus tax.
Comes with a little heat sink too, which the RPi3 doesn't.
Old 13th July 2017, 02:49 PM   #10
vdi_nenna is offline vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
The $100 cost includes a power supply, which I already had, so it cost me $90.

Also of note is the TB has 1Gb Ethernet connection and 2Gb of DDR3 RAM.
Nice spring loaded sd card slot. Which I suppose can break, but whatever.

I would like to try the onboard outs to see how the TB sounds without an external DAC.
Might be good enough for casual listening. It was "not good" to "ok" with the RPi3, so I imagine the TB will be better in this respect as well.

Asus TinkerHide this!Advertise here!