Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Equalizer APO, REW and Rephase WOW!
Equalizer APO, REW and Rephase WOW!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 01:54 PM   #131
DonVK is online now DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

@Boden, if you are trying to build a custom filter from an FRD try RePhase. It can import FRD and then you can play with the compensation using using some combination of min phase IIR textbook filters.

If you want exact compensation for both mag and phase then a convolution filter is probably easier and you can incorporate that in EQ APO easily.
Old 21st October 2019, 02:45 PM   #132
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello Don,

Thanks. I am aware of the capabilities of Rephase, but was hoping there would be a simple tool for conversion of .frd data to coeffs.
Old 21st October 2019, 03:09 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

So you want to convert the FRD to a polynomial? or a polynomial to describe the inverse FRD as compensation ?
Old 21st October 2019, 05:10 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

The poit is: EqApo - to my bst of knowledge cannotr read .frd files. If I optimze a particular filter in LspCad or Vituixcad I can export the filter transfer function as .frd file. Eq Apo unfortunalteky does not read/can not import .frd files. EqApo needs the filter coeffs in order to mimic that filter. So I was looking for a simple conversion tool (other that Rephase or other convolution based solutions) .

So it would be .frd to polynominal.
Old 21st October 2019, 06:47 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Understood.

How about this Function Reference: invfreqs
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:41 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Hello Don,

Although it is currently above my head, from the description I get this is exactly the tool I was looking for. But it is going to ask some serious learning before I may be able to use this tool,,
Have you worked with it, and if so, do you have a sample file that might get me started?
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:57 AM   #137
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
@33Polkhigh: Am I correct in understanding you use a HDMI multichannel receiver/AVR?

Is that a simple as connecting the HDMI output of your PC/Laptop with the HDMI input of your 4.1( 5.1/7.1) receiver? (sounds almost too easy/too good to be true)
Yea, this is correct as far as i know. I might have said something different before but the program can be used with a non compressed digital output (pcm). It won't work with a compressed output like dolby digital.

But it is a bit too good to be true. The problem is that the way hdmi is set up is that its supposed to carry both audio and video. This generally means you have to send your video through your receiver which can add a delay or mess up your resolution. But for some set ups it might work fine. It depends.

One way around this is to have two displays and send audio out the second one. But overall the situation would be better if there was a standard dedicated multi channel digital audio output . Instead of hdmi which combines video and audio.

Some of the way things are done now can make doing unique set ups more difficult. Just try to set a custom resolution in windows when you TV is telling it not to display that. They've tried to idiot proof it to the point of causing more problems

Last edited by 33Polkhigh; 22nd October 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:28 PM   #138
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot, jiiteepee.

I will have a look at the fdls convertor One thing is for sure: this is not for the faint of heart...
Implementation behind the first github link I gave is quite easy to modify for your needs. Just put your curve data (all or splitted) to "data.py" file

Code:
#%%
import numpy as np
frequency = np.array([0.0, 19.6850, 35.4331, 51.1811, 59.0551, 66.9291, 106.299, 389.764])
amplitude = np.array([0.2172, 0.2065, 0.1696, 0.0164, 1.3959, 0.6734, 0.3490, 0.3095])
phase = np.array([0.0, -0.0156, -0.0383, 3.0125, 2.3087, 0.955, 0.0343, 0.0031])
and run the example.py (remember that resulting coefficients are sample rate dependent ... change "fs" in function call fdls(frequency, amplitude, phase, n=2, d=2, sample_delay=None, fs=44 * khz) ... also try different orders of filter (parameters n & d) there in call to find satisfying responses ....
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:08 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello Don,

Although it is currently above my head, from the description I get this is exactly the tool I was looking for. But it is going to ask some serious learning before I may be able to use this tool,,
Have you worked with it, and if so, do you have a sample file that might get me started?
Octave is open source Matlab which I used ages ago.

This is an Octave script to convert an frd to a poly. I also included the test frd it uses. It reads the frd file and writes a coefficent file. It's late, so the filename is hardcoded and it should be tested against a standard filter. You need to install Octave and Signal package to run it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip frd_to_poly.zip (15.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:01 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Don and Jiiteepee, Thanx a lot. I will try to score Matlab or Octave..

Equalizer APO, REW and Rephase WOW!Hide this!Advertise here!