very HQ stereo analog audio input for Raspberry Pi - any options?

I am searching for a high quality stereo audio ADC for the Pi. There seems to be lots of DAC boards out there (HATs and USB based) but only know of one good quality USB dongle with stereo input (Behringer UCA202) and two HATs with stereo input (Wolfson Audio Card, and the Audio Injector HAT by Flatmax studios). In terms of THD or THD+N these are not bad (THD+N is around -80dB to -85dB). I would like another 10dB or more.

The idea is to build a preamp (analog and digital inputs) around a Pi 3. This would stream audio over a wired or wireless LAN connection to clients, with a Pi 2/3 in each loudspeaker and subwoofer. The number of clients can be increased by adding more client PIs. I already have the streaming audio part working.

I currently use a BayTrail Soc computer for input under running Ubuntu Linux. A PI could do this just as well, and is better suited to embedded applications than a desktop computer and OS in many ways.

Does anyone know of a higher quality stereo ADC for the Pi that might work in this application? This seems to be a niche that has not yet been filled. Also, I would prefer something that doesn't require a custom kernel...

Another approach would be to use a standalone analog to spdif digital converter and an spdif only input on the Pi. Sample rate out of the analog-to-spdif would need to be at least 96k, however. Any suggestions on that are welcome as well. Thanks.

There's this......(not boards but cased)
Hifime ADC i2S Analog to Digital converter

but interfacing may be a challenge....or perhaps using their companion hdmi in device ?
HiFime UH1 384kHz USB DAC, headphone amplifier and I2S/DSD interface

I currently use a BayTrail Soc computer for input under running Ubuntu Linux. A PI could do this just as well, and is better suited to embedded applications than a desktop computer and OS in many ways.
If you just want to simplify your current system as above check out....
http://www.snakeoil-os.net/

Found this ... mp3 :( based but may have some ideas that could be useful...?
https://iotsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/25/wireless-streaming-vinyl-to-squeezebox/

Last edited:
There's this......(not boards but cased)
Hifime ADC i2S Analog to Digital converter

but interfacing may be a challenge....or perhaps using their companion hdmi in device ?
HiFime UH1 384kHz USB DAC, headphone amplifier and I2S/DSD interface

If you just want to simplify your current system as above check out....
Snakeoil OS - Linux OS For The Audiophile

Found this ... mp3 :( based but may have some ideas that could be useful...?
https://iotsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/25/wireless-streaming-vinyl-to-squeezebox/

Thanks for your reply. That HiFiMe (previously HiFiME DIY) stuff is interesting. I have a couple of their USB DAC models that I like a lot. Their A-to-i2s plus i2s to USB solution is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, and a little more than I need really. But I wasn't aware of it, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

The wireless streaming stuff - I already have all of that up and working between an Ubuntu desktop (source, the "audio server" I mentioned) and multiple R-Pi clients (and other ARM boards). I stream PCM over RTP, so much better than mp3! No compression. I can stream at 96k to multiple clients, no problem. I have a couple of those Behringer UCA202s at the moment and they are not bad and have stereo line level input and are USB Audio 1.1 compatible I think but are limited to 16/48. So, it's OK, but I am always thinking to myself that there must be something better out there.

The other link for the custom kernel is what I want to avoid. I'm worried about what happens when that is no longer maintained... so I want to stick to mainline-kernel compatible stuff only.

Last edited:
Their A-to-i2s plus i2s to USB solution is a bit more than I was hoping to spend

Well, they were HiFimediy before they became HiFime so why not drop them an email and explain your use scenario and see if they would sell boards only with out case....;) Both items look like drop-in cases so no problems there and dc powering so no problems with that...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, the worst outcome is they say no and that puts you at no disadvantage to where you are now..:D

Well, they were HiFimediy before they became HiFime so why not drop them an email and explain your use scenario and see if they would sell boards only with out case....;) Both items look like drop-in cases so no problems there and dc powering so no problems with that...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, the worst outcome is they say no and that puts you at no disadvantage to where you are now..:D

You read my mind! I have already contacted them about it. Judging by the other great products that they have come out with I would be very excited if they would develop a quality USB ADC that could be used under Linux on a variety of hardware. Maybe via the new SA9226? Not sure what they would go to for the ADC... any ideas?

Last edited:
The Asus xonar u7 has an analog input, but I have never tried the input myself. The output as well as the spdif out works fine with the RPI (after some minor config tweaks). Quality wise it's comparable to my hifimediy dac (9023) if not better. I probably wouldn't pay full price for it but sometimes you can find it for cheaper openbox or used on amazon warehouse, Craigslist, eBay, etc. I think I paid about $60 on a special sale.

There are also proaudio/dj mixer interfaces with decent DACs. They normally use XLR - 1/4 inputs and have built in mic and other features that you may not need. They may also be more than what you want to pay.

I have the steinberg ur22mkii. I use it for mic input (so not in my main audio system) but the audio out DAC it's actually not bad at all. It even allows to use an external power supply so it only takes the data signal from the computer.

UR22mkII:|http://www.steinberg.net/

The Asus xonar u7 has an analog input, but I have never tried the input myself. The output as well as the spdif out works fine with the RPI (after some minor config tweaks). Quality wise it's comparable to my hifimediy dac (9023) if not better. I probably wouldn't pay full price for it but sometimes you can find it for cheaper openbox or used on amazon warehouse, Craigslist, eBay, etc. I think I paid about $60 on a special sale.

There are also proaudio/dj mixer interfaces with decent DACs. They normally use XLR - 1/4 inputs and have built in mic and other features that you may not need. They may also be more than what you want to pay.

I have the steinberg ur22mkii. I use it for mic input (so not in my main audio system) but the audio out DAC it's actually not bad at all. It even allows to use an external power supply so it only takes the data signal from the computer.

UR22mkII:|http://www.steinberg.net/

That Asus xonar u7 has good specs, including the input - I thought there were some incompatibilities under Linux. What did you do to get it working under Linux (Raspian?)?

EDIT: I found this page (from a Kodi forum):
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=253179
Seems to cover some minor stuff. Anything else?

This would definitely be worth $60 for me to try out (if I can find it for that price).

Last edited:
You read my mind! I have already contacted them about it. Judging by the other great products that they have come out with I would be very excited if they would develop a quality USB ADC that could be used under Linux on a variety of hardware. Maybe via the new SA9226? Not sure what they would go to for the ADC... any ideas?

If they reconfigured their current ADC to output to USB not HDMI I would grab one in an instant !
I'm currently using an old M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 (Firewire !) card on a laptop Win XP and Adobe Audition 3 to rip my LPs to Flac.
Or an XP box with M-Audio 24/96 sound card headless with a Xubuntu laptop and remmina as the interface. Depending on where in the wee housie I am.
An ADC of that calibre working under Linux would solve all my problems....
Let me know the outcome of your query to HiFiMe as I would bite if you are successful....:)
Cheers,
Bob.

If they reconfigured their current ADC to output to USB not HDMI I would grab one in an instant !
I'm currently using an old M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 (Firewire !) card on a laptop Win XP and Adobe Audition 3 to rip my LPs to Flac.
Or an XP box with M-Audio 24/96 sound card headless with a Xubuntu laptop and remmina as the interface. Depending on where in the wee housie I am.
An ADC of that calibre working under Linux would solve all my problems....
Let me know the outcome of your query to HiFiMe as I would bite if you are successful....:)
Cheers,
Bob.

Group buy...? I would be in if it was a goer....:)

That Asus xonar u7 has good specs, including the input - I thought there were some incompatibilities under Linux. What did you do to get it working under Linux (Raspian?)?

EDIT: I found this page (from a Kodi forum):
HOW-TO: S/PDIF from Asus Xonar U7
Seems to cover some minor stuff. Anything else?

This would definitely be worth $60 for me to try out (if I can find it for that price).

Officially Linux is not supported - I even checked with their customer support, which didn't even know what Linux is....

I don't have access to my notes at the moment but the link you found summarize most of the spdf fixes for the snd-usb-audio module. Since it is a USB high speed dac you also need to edit /boot/cmdline.txt. See for example under player fixes here: moodeaudio.org
I think it was a third thing but can't remember. If I get a chance in the next week or so I will check if I can get the input working well with ecasound.

Note that the spec calls for 5V / 0.5A so you need a power supply that can handle both the rpi and the dac. On my rpi2 it was still little bit unstable so I ended up splitting the USB cable so I could use a separate supply for the DAC. This has worked really well. One of issue was that if you clicked on the button that swaps input between spdf and rca it created a spike that "burned up" the SD card but with separate supplies this is a no issue.

What else....I couldnt get the hardware volume control to work but that is not a feature I use so I didn't mess with it too much. I wish they would sell one without the headphone amp, the windows program and other computer gaming features so they could reduce the price and complexity.

If they reconfigured their current ADC to output to USB not HDMI I would grab one in an instant ! [...snip...] An ADC of that calibre working under Linux would solve all my problems....

I'm totally in agreement. The more people who contact them and ask for this kind of product, the higher the chances are that they will produce one! Here is the link to the contact page for HiFiMeDiy:
https://support.hifimediy.com/support/tickets/new

As an example, write something like:
"I would like to see a new product from HiFiMe that is a high-speed USB based, Linux compatible, quiet, low THD, 24/96 or above analog-to-digital converter for the DIY audio community."

Feel free to add on your own thoughts about what you would like the product to be! Tell others to contact them as well. The more inquiries the better.

I received a positive response from HiFiMe - they are going to talk it over with their design team and think that it is something that they can indeed do.

This would be awesome for the DIY audio community.

PLEASE CONSIDER CONTACTING THEM YOURSELF TO URGE THEM TO CREATE A QUALITY USB ADC PRODUCT! (see previous page for info on how to do that).

THANKS!

I am searching for a high quality stereo audio ADC for the Pi. There seems to be lots of DAC boards out there (HATs and USB based) but only know of one good quality USB dongle with stereo input (Behringer UCA202) and two HATs with stereo input (Wolfson Audio Card, and the Audio Injector HAT by Flatmax studios). In terms of THD or THD+N these are not bad (THD+N is around -80dB to -85dB). I would like another 10dB or more.

How does these Pi hat boards get audio in to the Pi?

Both Behringer and M-Audio make good little USB ADCs and you should be able to locate a Linux driver for them.

The UC-202 from B and I can't locate the model of my M-Audio, but they only have the one, I think.

I own the Behringer one but am not aware of the M-Audio ADC you mention. The UCA-202 is plug and play (no driver needed) under Linux.

I am looking for something a little better performing than these, although I can say that the Behringer UCA202 is pretty good as long as you want to stick with 16 bits and 48kHz or less. I'd like to see a 24/96 USB ADC that is plug and play. I believe that is what HiFiMeDIY is currently working on...

Wow, that is one:
  • HUGE
  • CLUNKY
  • BOX!
I did see a report that someone was able to use it (for audio input and output) under Ubuntu 16.04. Under Linux I would guesstimate all those fancy buttons and knobs don't work. What is your experience in that regard?

I'm looking for something rather small that I can build into other audio projects. So, while this does seem to work for what I need, the form factor kills the deal for me. YMMV