Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

PC As Active Crossover
PC As Active Crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2016, 03:37 AM   #1
samsagaz is offline samsagaz  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default PC As Active Crossover

Hey guys, someone know some tutorial about how to use an sound card as active xover?

I see that good pasive crossovers are expensive, trying to save some bucks using active design and noticed that is possible with the PC
Old 21st June 2016, 06:21 AM   #2
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

You should find enough information by searching this sub forum but, basically, you would need a sound card with 4 output channels or more (4ch for 2-way, 6ch for 3-way, 8 for 4-way, etc.) and then just select the method you want to use for crossover filtering and feed the signal through each output.
Old 21st June 2016, 06:58 AM   #3
zarandok is offline zarandok  Austria
diyAudio Member

Try Equalizer APO! (https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/)
There is a configuration reference (https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizera...n%20reference/), easy to use.
Or you can use PEACE with EqAPO (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pea...ce=recommended) if you need a graphical interface too.
Old 21st June 2016, 12:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!
Old 21st June 2016, 02:14 PM   #5
zarandok is offline zarandok  Austria
diyAudio Member

Or you can try JRiver Media Center, if you want to use ASIO (better quality) interface.
JRiver is the only one for Windows I know with serious DSP functions.
Old 21st June 2016, 02:28 PM   #6
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

You didn't mention what operating system you are using, by when you say "PC" I assume you mean Windoze. If that is true, then you might want to check out SXQ:
SXQ XO and EQ

It's a great platform for implementing crossovers using your computer's soundcard.
Old 21st June 2016, 03:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, well i use Linux in my workstation laptop and windows in my desktop. but im building a new PC for HTPC so can install windows or linux. Just trying to figure if are better to purchase an exclusive Xover, build an pasive one or use the PC as Xover
Old 21st June 2016, 03:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarandok View Post
Or you can try JRiver Media Center, if you want to use ASIO (better quality) interface.
JRiver is the only one for Windows I know with serious DSP functions.
It would be just JRiver this and JRiver that then.
Old 21st June 2016, 03:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsagaz View Post
Thanks guys, well i use Linux in my workstation laptop and windows in my desktop. but im building a new PC for HTPC so can install windows or linux. Just trying to figure if are better to purchase an exclusive Xover, build an pasive one or use the PC as Xover
IMO, with Win everything would be easier.
You have 2 choices for (easy to use) system wide crossover in Windows system; EqualizerAPO and virtual audio cabling.
With EqualizerAPO you're limited to output APIs which supports APOs (but nice feature is that you be able to bypass APO by using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive mode for output without need for disabling/turning off the crossover system) and with VAC you would need '3rd' software placed between the playback software and VAC to get the DSP done.

If you go with VAC then I would suggest trying the Voicemeeter Banana from VB-Audio.
If you go with EqualizerAPO then there's already crossover presets available for both type filters (IIR/FIR) to start with.

Last edited by jiiteepee; 21st June 2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 21st June 2016, 03:58 PM   #10
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used Linux on an old laptop. Here's a "how-to": Digital Crossover/EQ with Open-Source Software: HOWTO | Richard's Stuff
All done with free software, and if you like, it all runs on a RasberryPi or OrangePi.

PC As Active CrossoverHide this!Advertise here!