Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder

Got it. I have to investigate, but I assume I can run PiCoreplayer with Roon Bridge?

So I guess you are saying that you don't have a solution for S/PDIF output to do DSD128 using DoP?

Are all S/PDIF limited to DSD64 using DoP?

Steve N .

Hi Steve,

I guess so. For now, no spdif solution can go higher than 192KHz, so the maximal DoP would be DSD64 in this case.

But I confirmed piCorePlayer can go up to DSD128 over Pi GPIO.

Ian

Hi Steve,

I guess so. For now, no spdif solution can go higher than 192KHz, so the maximal DoP would be DSD64 in this case.

But I confirmed piCorePlayer can go up to DSD128 over Pi GPIO.

Ian

Thanks for this clarification. This means that there is probably no point to doing a custom I2S to S/PDIF implementation to support DOP at 128. The off-the-shelf digital audio interfaces are sufficient.

Not sure I can use piCorePlayer. No mention of Roon in the documents.

Steve N.

Thanks for this clarification. This means that there is probably no point to doing a custom I2S to S/PDIF implementation to support DOP at 128. The off-the-shelf digital audio interfaces are sufficient.

Not sure I can use piCorePlayer. No mention of Roon in the documents.

Steve N.

piCorePlayer is different from Volumio and other player, basically it needs three things:

1. RPi with piCorePlayer SD;
2. A Logitech Media Server 7.9 (LMS), I would recommend to install it on a PC
3. Install a remote control squeezebox on you cell phone

Ian

got the isolator pi and the dsd decoder board for my raspberry pi 3 and my soekris dam1021 and it works now perfect with volumio but only dsd64 in soekris serial output its recognized as L02M when i try dsd128 or dsd256 volumio give me and [alsa]: Failed to configure DSD-over-PCM on ALSA device "hw:1,0". error hope they can fix that :)

but sound is spectacular :)

cheers janosch

Hi folks.
Having tried to read this topic both from the beginning and from the end, I could not find out the way you kicked the native dsd bus out of pi. Just got overwhelmed with a lot of hat and module discussions, not much on actual info on the driver.
Would you please poke me into the right post?
Thank you. :)
I'm using a BBG with Botic driver, but single-core board with only half a gig sometimes seems to be not enough.

There is no native DSD bus. Nobody except Miero has written the code for a SoC to push DSD native over I2S. Everybody else supports DoP which is limited to DSD64 or 128 at best.
That is why I ended up with a BBB with the Botic kernel (after 2 RPI3, and OrangePI and a NanoPi) and that handles at least 2 channel DSD512.

There is no native DSD bus. Nobody except Miero has written the code for a SoC to push DSD native over I2S. Everybody else supports DoP which is limited to DSD64 or 128 at best.
That is why I ended up with a BBB with the Botic kernel (after 2 RPI3, and OrangePI and a NanoPi) and that handles at least 2 channel DSD512.

Thank you. Same here, albeit I'll have to rework the software seriously (if not move away from mpd+upmpdcli) in order to make dlna commands not THAT laggy on BB. Even a dualcore Pi with vanilla Volumio is way more responsive...

Correct me if I’m wrong here but isolation is all about removing external negative influences and maybe cleaning up the digital signal.
As such, the best possible result is a clean and correct signal at the output.
If your signal has somehow gotten corrupted in such a way as to cause issues with your bass, it might improve your bass. But ultimately it’s all about cleaning up the interface and can help with any problem relating to that particular issue.

SUCCESS YAYYYYY after a longe fight(with volumio and moodeplayer) i tried the latetest picoreplayer 3.5 audio optimized version and now my soekris Dam1021 can play DSD128 HURRAYYY :D i everytime dance when i see the small led on ians board light up when it shows true DSD stream :) also the serial port of the spoekris says L05M which is DSD128 5.6mhz yay :D and i have to say the picoreplayer is overall very nice! the logitech media server works fine AND before my Soekris didnt like 16bit 44.1 files now they play like a boss D: i also have the ardam board from dimdim running and this also works fine :)
Settings i need to make in the picoreplayer to make it work:
for my Soekris DAM 1021 i used:
-on the main page scroll to the bottom and then check the beta tab
Squeezelite settings:
-Generic/simple ESS9023 DAC
-under the DAC is "card control" tick that and tick 384k
-on the bottom "Set Squeezelite Binary: Native/DoP DSD Squeezelite Squeezelite with DSD (DoP or native) patches."
-and finaly add Device supports DSD/DoP: 0:dop

this worked for me :)

hope that helps
cheers janosch

SUCCESS YAYYYYY after a longe fight(with volumio and moodeplayer) i tried the latetest picoreplayer 3.5 audio optimized version and now my soekris Dam1021 can play DSD128 HURRAYYY :D i everytime dance when i see the small led on ians board light up when it shows true DSD stream :) also the serial port of the spoekris says L05M which is DSD128 5.6mhz yay :D and i have to say the picoreplayer is overall very nice! the logitech media server works fine AND before my Soekris didnt like 16bit 44.1 files now they play like a boss D: i also have the ardam board from dimdim running and this also works fine :)
Settings i need to make in the picoreplayer to make it work:
for my Soekris DAM 1021 i used:
-on the main page scroll to the bottom and then check the beta tab
Squeezelite settings:
-Generic/simple ESS9023 DAC
-under the DAC is "card control" tick that and tick 384k
-on the bottom "Set Squeezelite Binary: Native/DoP DSD Squeezelite Squeezelite with DSD (DoP or native) patches."
-and finaly add Device supports DSD/DoP: 0:dop

this worked for me :)

hope that helps
cheers janosch

Hi Janosch,

That's great, you did good job. Congratulations!

A lot of people are straggling with RPi 384KHz and DSD128 , and now, here we have the answer and solution.

I'll try this latetest picoreplayer 3.5 audio optimized version and I'll let you know if I have question.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Janosch,

That's great, you did good job. Congratulations!

A lot of people are straggling with RPi 384KHz and DSD128 , and now, here we have the answer and solution.

I'll try this latetest picoreplayer 3.5 audio optimized version and I'll let you know if I have question.

Regards,
Ian
anitime mate :) was a hard fight but your genius little boards made this magic happen and as we write the glitches i had before useing other distros are completly gone SOOOOOO nice a whole DSD album and no glitches HURRAY:D