Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder

what's the main differences between this approach and your previous isolator (plus your mini board for raspberry) ?

20664953226_29a3b6aace_o.jpg

Hi savvas,

1. The new approach can make it having an isolator before FIFO.

2. All kinds of RPi/ODROID DACs can be stacked on top of this new approach, it works for all of them as an isolator.

3. The new approach can make Rpi playing both I2S and native DSD signals.

Regards,
Ian

Hi savvas,

1. The new approach can make it having an isolator before FIFO.

2. All kinds of RPi/ODROID DACs can be stacked on top of this new approach, it works for all of them as an isolator.

3. The new approach can make Rpi playing both I2S and native DSD signals.

Regards,
Ian

I don't really care about all those stacked dacs
Native DSD is quite something that some folks here take in consideration

Aha, yep, you are right, in this way you can have the isolator before FIFO
I don't know how much jitter we avoid this way, considering a reclocker further down the path can fix that
Anyway, good approach, Ian always delivers

For the first time, Raspberry Pi plays native DSD music on a ES9018 DAC

For the first time, Raspberry Pi plays native DSD music on my Buffalo III ES9018 DAC. It's really nice.

Setup: RPi+Isolator+DoP decoder+BIII, sofware: Moode player

Both DSD64 and DSD128 are tested. It should be capable for DSD256, but RPi player can not support this format so far.

Ian

DopDecoder1ES9018
by Ian, on Flickr

DopDecoder2ES9018
by Ian, on Flickr

DopDecoder3ES9018
by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks wonderful, Ian!)
As well can DAC board receive a MCLK from Isolator Hat too?
When and how can I place myself in wish list?

Thank you for your interest.

You will have an isolated MCLK output from this isolator if you use ODROID.

PRi doesn't have a MCLK output. So, if your really need an MCLK for a RPi based player, you can use a FIFO.

You can put your name at end of the interesting list, which is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...ronous-i2s-s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy-220.html

Regards,
Ian

Hi,

Do you use the es9018 hardware volume control ?
How did you manged it on raspberry side ?

Waiting for the list...

B.

Hi Fob69,

Normally I prefer analog volume control on my pre-amplifier. But there are lot of volume control solutions for ES9018 DACs that you can try.

Please let me know if you are happy with ES9018 volume control.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks Ian,

Does the RPi3 would play DoP and hi-res PCM with FIFO in such setup?
What kind of FIFO board is better in this case?
What will nessesary on DAC side for automatic recognize PCM and DSD(???) stream?

@surfchampion

RPi3 will play both DoP and PCM in this setup. A lot of DACs such ES9018 and many others can recognize DSD and PCM stream automatically. You don't need anything else to play DSD with them. If you want to have a FIFO in your system, my multi-channel FIFO would be a better choice.

Regards,
Ian

Works with Pi-DigiAMP+

Tested works with Pi-DigiAMP+.

Pi-DigiAMP+ is a DAC/class D amplifier. It has a 12-19V power supply, so no need DAC power connected to isolator. Pi-DigiAMP+ is totally isolated from the Pi power in this configuration. It sounds wonderful with this isolator.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC00275.jpg
    DSC00275.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
Ian,

Is there any link to pricing for this?

Is it also possible to use the Allo Kali Reclocker on top of your isolator - would anything be gained by anything over your board alone and the say the IQAudio DigiAMP+ setup?

Is there a cut off date for the GB?

What exactly do I order to get the RPi Isolator board with DSD support?

Last edited:
What a brilliant little digital front end !!

This looks amazing!

For the complete newby as myself, exactly what does 'sounds wonderful' mean? How does it change the sound to a setup with the Amp directly connected to the RPi?

Thaks for any feedback, looking forward to learning about this stuff, best regards,
Rafa.

Thanks guys!

In digital section, two things need to do to improve sound quality.
One is to cut the EMC noice by isolated DAC ground with PC ground.
The second is to replace audio clock with a better one.

This isolator is doing for the first thing.
To do the second thing, we'll need a FIFO or other low jitter clock solution.

Regards,
Ian

Ian,

Is there any link to pricing for this?

Is it also possible to use the Allo Kali Reclocker on top of your isolator - would anything be gained by anything over your board alone and the say the IQAudio DigiAMP+ setup?

Is there a cut off date for the GB?

What exactly do I order to get the RPi Isolator board with DSD support?

Hi,

This isolator works with any raspberry board or HAT that follow the Pi standard.

Both DSD decoder and this project is done, it will be available very soon. However I don't have finial price before going to production stage. But it won't be expensive, please see my previous GB for reference.

Please put your name on my GB thread if you are interested in them. I'll send message to you once the are available.

Good weekend
Ian

Raspberry Pi is playing native DSD music

Is so nice that Raspberry Pi is now capable for playing native DSD music with this small DoP decoder daughter board.

Software player can be Moode, Rune, Volumio and many others.

DoD format will be detected/decoded automatically. To play native DSD music, we need a I2S/DSD DAC. I'm running an External ES9018 DAC for now. It would be one of the good options. Any DAC that capable for DSD play back would be good to go.

RaspberryPiDSD

Ian

Is so nice that Raspberry Pi is now capable for playing native DSD music with this small DoP decoder daughter board.

Software player can be Moode, Rune, Volumio and many others.

DoD format will be detected/decoded automatically. To play native DSD music, we need a I2S/DSD DAC. I'm running an External ES9018 DAC for now. It would be one of the good options. Any DAC that capable for DSD play back would be good to go.

RaspberryPiDSD

Ian
Apologies for the "dumb" question...

So, for example, assuming to use a Gustard A20H
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/gusta...ifier-double-ak4497eq-xmos-dsd256-384khz.html
it would be sufficient to put together a cable to go from the i2s "output pins" of the isolator+dsd dughter board to the i2s hdmi input of the Gustard?