Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder

Anyone else with Buffalo IIISE through I2S FIFO II to ODROID C2 (with Volumio) + IsolatorPi+DoP DSD board?
As output device i get only HifiShield/Shield+ to select...
16/44 plays fine;
24/48 and 96 play with smallish pop sounds once a while;
24/192 seems fine (have one track only :) );
24/384 is a lottery..most ussually heavy distorted..;
DSD through DoP - led lits only on 128 material but no sound at all; 64 plays with distortion but DSD led is off; 256 only distortion and no led.
How do one change output device or input custom one needed for my dac? As i guess the problem might be here.. Or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Correction for DoP:
256 plays ok but no led on DoP to DSD decoder;
64 no sound at all but led is on;
128 noise and very very faint traces of music in the background and no led.

I've increased IIR bandwidth of my dac to 60k (options were: normal, then 50k, 60k and 70k) to at least get 24/384 PCM play not distorted (thought volumio still makes 24/96 files with weak pop sounds something like LP..) but no effect on DoP. Max IIR bandwidth doesnt help either.

Check CPU usage while playing, I wonder if Volumio is resampling and pegging the CPU.
According to this Odroid C2 project : Diy Volumio Projects 24 bit is probably a no-go due to the slow internal clock of the Odroid c2

The C2 has four full arm cores. However the gpu and all cores share the same memory bus.

I don’t thing it would have a problem to be honest (I have a C2)

I dont think it is cpu problem, as odroid's one is one stronger side..
I suspect @wealas might be right about culprit of clocks...
So i guess its time to ditch the Odroid..and say hello to Pi..? What should it get to mate with Ian's IsolatorPi (first version) and to be fast and future proof? Pi4? 2gb? 4gb? What do you think?

Great on RPI4 but what about Tinker asus S

Hi
I have a FIFOPI with the Ian's I2S HDMI transmitter going to a Matrix sabre X pro. All pugged to an RPI4 (4GB ram). All works perfectly with Volumio, Moode, PicorePlayer, DietPi. I can listen PCP up to 24bits 192k and DSD DOP 64, all in asynchronous mode on the DAC. The music is then really great; better than using USB). It works in sync mode but it is not as good, I need to move to new clocks on the FIFOPI card but difficult to solder everything :))).
I know the I2S limits on the RPI (even the 4th one) but I would like to go a little bit further since I have several albums on DSD256. It looks that the ASUS TINKER board S is less limited than the RPI. Do you think that I'll be able to run DSD in native mode and play my DSD256 files without conversion with this board ? Is there any driver working with FIFOPI without limiting everything to 192k ?
Thanks for your help, Flifli

Looking to verify a question concerning my first gen Isolator. It's been sitting since I received it back in 2017. I'm looking at connecting my Isolator directly to a first gen Buffalo, that does not have u.fl connectors. I did purchase some loose u.fls with my order. I assume that we are only looking at a single conductor for each connection instead of two conductors that are present in both the u.fl and the coax cable (also part of my order).

Since it appears that the inner conductor is the one we are looking at and the one that should be used on the Buffalo board, I would like to verify that.

Secondly, since the Buffalo board is not set up for u.fls (just a through-hole, no pads for outer tabs), are there any suggestions for attaching these?

Attachments

• Buffalo.jpg
    Buffalo.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 283
Hi
I have a FIFOPI with the Ian's I2S HDMI transmitter going to a Matrix sabre X pro. All pugged to an RPI4 (4GB ram). All works perfectly with Volumio, Moode, PicorePlayer, DietPi. I can listen PCP up to 24bits 192k and DSD DOP 64, all in asynchronous mode on the DAC. The music is then really great; better than using USB). It works in sync mode but it is not as good, I need to move to new clocks on the FIFOPI card but difficult to solder everything :))).
I know the I2S limits on the RPI (even the 4th one) but I would like to go a little bit further since I have several albums on DSD256. It looks that the ASUS TINKER board S is less limited than the RPI. Do you think that I'll be able to run DSD in native mode and play my DSD256 files without conversion with this board ? Is there any driver working with FIFOPI without limiting everything to 192k ?
Thanks for your help, Flifli

You can try audiohphonice ES9028 driver for up to 384KHz music.

Ian

I bought an IsolatorPiII and installed it, It's working great. My system consists of an rpi 3B+, IsolatorIPiI, Allo Kali reclocker and a Allo Piano 2.1 dac.
The system is powered with a PSU on the Kali and on the unisloated GPIO another PSU powering the RPi. I'm investigating on updating the powersupplies. My question is if it is beneficial, in view of the IsolatotPiII, to upgrade on the PSU for the RPi as it is completely isolated from the audio part of the system.
Regards
Wim