Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2018, 12:18 AM   #361
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklau View Post
Hi Ian

I managed to get hold of a IsolatorPI from a fellow DIYaudio member. The board is very nice and have already installed it with great succes.

I have been messing a bit with the master/slave jumbers on the IsolatorPi. I can only get it to work in slave mode. I have connected the I2S signal to a SRC4192 ASRC module from Twisted Pear(Metronome). The board is set to output master mode at 256fs. That signal is passed on to a PCM1794a COD DAC also from Twisted Pear.
Maybe i have misunderstood the Master/slave idea but do you know why the master jumper setting is not working?

Thanks in advance

Btw: Your new FifoPi looks really good! That could be the newt upgrade
Thank miklau,

The IsolatorPi master mode was designed to work with master mode RPi DAC HAT such as Hifiberry Pro +. Those master mode DAC HATs usually need Linux driver to run.

For external high-end DAC, to improve sound quality, you will need FifoPi to make audio master clock local and asynchronized with clocks from RPi.

Regards,
Ian
Old 24th September 2018, 12:25 PM   #362
miklau is offline miklau  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@jonners @iancanada
Thank you both for the help and fast reply I will keep an eye out for the FifoPI

I have also tried a KALI Reclocker in master, but would this be same regarding the Linux Driver?

I am trying to make a mute function and the PCM1794s soft mute requires a pin set to high.
I would like to use the isolated GPIO pin for this since I have a shared ground between the DAC power supply and the Isolator Pi. The ground to the RPI is not shared.
I have tried to use Pin 15,22,31 but they seem to be always pulled high? Can I control these pins or would you recommend a relay/transistor and then use the unisolated side?
Regards Mikkel
Old 24th September 2018, 01:50 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@jonners @iancanada
Thank you both for the help and fast reply I will keep an eye out for the FifoPI
@miklau

FifoPi has built-in isolator and an isolated mute signal output(active high). I think it works for your application.

FifoPi also doesn't need any special Linux driver. It works with any external DAC including PCM1794 with providing local MCLK.

Regards,
Ian
Old 24th September 2018, 02:54 PM   #364
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian

Thanks again Sorry if I ask wrong but would I be possible to control the Isolated pins 15,22,31 on the IsolatorPi? I just took this from page 4 at the IsolatorPi User manual where they are listed as pull up with the 4.7k resistor. But not sure if they are controllable or always high?

Regards Mikkel
Old 24th September 2018, 08:30 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks again Sorry if I ask wrong but would I be possible to control the Isolated pins 15,22,31 on the IsolatorPi?
@miklau,

That's no any problem. You can use GPIO pin31 on my IsolatorPiII as the mute signal. It's 100% isolated from RPi ground.

Regards,
Ian
Old 25th September 2018, 08:38 AM   #366
diyAudio Member

@Ian
Thanks again Is this only for the IsolatorPi II? I have tried to measure this on the IsolatorPi I and that pin seems to be high at 3.3v all the time...

Regards Mikkel
Old 25th September 2018, 11:08 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

@miklau

Yes, it's possible. IsolatorPi I has a reserved GPIO pin15 for isolation function. But it was not standard equipped. You need to assemble a SMT optical isolator by your self. Please let me know if your really want to do so. However IsolatorP II can be used directly for this feature.

Regards,
Ian
Old 18th October 2018, 10:19 AM   #368
diyAudio Member

Default Power sequence of Isolator Pi and RPI

Hi Ian

I was just wondering if everthing is fine if I power the isolator pi and my raspberry pi simultaneously? Your manual just state to power the Isolator first and then the RPI. If there is sound is everything fine or would SQ improve if powering the RPI with a 1-2 sec delay?

Thanks

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoderHide this!Advertise here!