Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2018, 06:06 PM   #341
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
That is great but did you post this in the wrong thread?
He was using my DoP decoder. But he had problem with playing DSD128 music files.

He thought it was hardware issue. But finally he confirmed that the software he used was not capable for DSD128 and PCM352/384KHz.

After he switched to piCore Player, the problem was solved. Now he is very happy with the DSD128 output from my DoP decoder.

That's the story.

Ian
Old 11th May 2018, 07:17 PM   #342
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
He was using my DoP decoder. But he had problem with playing DSD128 music files.

He thought it was hardware issue. But finally he confirmed that the software he used was not capable for DSD128 and PCM352/384KHz.

After he switched to piCore Player, the problem was solved. Now he is very happy with the DSD128 output from my DoP decoder.

That's the story.

Ian
pCP is a very lightweight, optimized player, so maybe a Pi3 does not have enough horsepower to play DSD128 unless with something like pCP.

Wonder if the new Pi3 model B+ would do any better?

Randy
Old 21st May 2018, 01:51 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janosch simon View Post
SUCCESS YAYYYYY after a longe fight(with volumio and moodeplayer) i tried the latetest picoreplayer 3.5 audio optimized version and now my soekris Dam1021 can play DSD128 HURRAYYY i everytime dance when i see the small led on ians board light up when it shows true DSD stream also the serial port of the spoekris says L05M which is DSD128 5.6mhz yay and i have to say the picoreplayer is overall very nice! the logitech media server works fine AND before my Soekris didnt like 16bit 44.1 files now they play like a boss D: i also have the ardam board from dimdim running and this also works fine
Settings i need to make in the picoreplayer to make it work:
for my Soekris DAM 1021 i used:
-on the main page scroll to the bottom and then check the beta tab
Squeezelite settings:
-Generic/simple ESS9023 DAC
-under the DAC is "card control" tick that and tick 384k
-on the bottom "Set Squeezelite Binary: Native/DoP DSD Squeezelite Squeezelite with DSD (DoP or native) patches."
-and finaly add Device supports DSD/DoP: 0:dop

this worked for me

hope that helps
cheers janosch
Hi Janosch,

Where did you download Logitech Media Server (LMS)?
Is there anything needed to be setup for DSD/DOP playback on LMS?

What remote control app do you use?
I use squeezebox on my iPhone, do you?

Regards,
Ian
Old 21st May 2018, 02:14 PM   #344
janosch simon is offline janosch simon  Germany
diyAudio Member

hey ian i installed LMS from within picoreplayer YouTube this video helped me alot
lms is only the server there you dont need to set up anything

i just bought iPeng 9 which costs 10€ but its well worth it very nice remote i like it the free one i didt find when i looked for squeezebox always ipeng 9 poped up so i bought it

cheers janosch
Old 13th June 2018, 10:24 AM   #345
Abartels1965 is offline Abartels1965  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Janosch,

Where did you download Logitech Media Server (LMS)?
Is there anything needed to be setup for DSD/DOP playback on LMS?

What remote control app do you use?
I use squeezebox on my iPhone, do you?

Regards,
Ian
Hi Ian,

Months ago I did send you a complete "manual" of how to install,config and where to download all stuff.

Here's a quote of a part from that email:

"From what I understood is that latest version PcP 3.22 can work with I2S and FIFO II, but I didn’t try this myself.
PcP version 3.22 is available in standard and audio optimized version. The Audio optimized version can play 384kHz files, and DSD (from what I understood).
Someone of the PcP team told me the “Hifiberry DAC zero/miniamp” driver should work with I2S.

If you can manage to get it to work with this driver, in combination with LMS 7.9 server, you should be able to play DSD too.

PcP download site: Download - piCorePlayer
LMS 7.9 site: Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.9
"

Regards,
Alex
Old 1st July 2018, 03:47 PM   #346
diyAudio Member

Default IsolatorPi II

Besides all the features originally from IsolatorPi, what are the new updates on IsolatorPi II?

1. IsolatorPi II now supports 502DAC Pro, Hifiberry Digi Pro +, and all other WM8804 based master clock mode applications;

2. IsolatorPi II has the optional 40Pin non-isolated GPIO connector pre-installed. With which, we can connect the possible ESS DAC controller, Ir receiver, the rotary encoder and all other non-audio devices to RPi. The good thing is that all of those devices will become 100% isolated from DAC under this configuration.

3. With IsolaporPi II, now we can power RPi from GPIO (reported better than USB power) through the no-isolated GPIO connector, or, from the +5V and GND Pins beside if that GPIO is occupied.

Ian

Click the image to open in full size.
IsolatorPiII_1
by Ian, on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IsolatorPiII_502DacPro_HifiberryDigiPlusPro.jpg (303.0 KB, 579 views)

Last edited by iancanada; 1st July 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11th July 2018, 03:15 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

IsolatorPi II was tested working perfectly with 502DAC pro.

502DAC Pro is an audiophile grade DAC HAT. The sound quality is amazing. It has almost everything: PCM1792, master mode WM8804, S/PDIF output, balanced/se output, and LME49600 headphone amps. It's the best DAC for RPi so far I've ever listened.

It can benefit the most out of IsolatorPi II because it works in master clock mode. Clean isolated 5V DC power supply will power 502DAC Pro from the IsolatorPi II. 502 DACPro takes awesome current around 1A. Red/Yellow LED will be switching when music switches between 44.1/48KHz Fs groups.

But too bad it's been discontinued. Michael told me that price can not cover the cost. I think it's true.

IsolatorPiIIand502DACpro
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IsolatorPiIIand502DACpro2.jpg (337.8 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg IsolatorPiIIand502DACpro1.jpg (396.3 KB, 431 views)
Old 12th July 2018, 01:17 AM   #348
ofswitched is offline ofswitched  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Besides all the features originally from IsolatorPi, what are the new updates on IsolatorPi II?

1. IsolatorPi II now supports 502DAC Pro, Hifiberry Digi Pro +, and all other WM8804 based master clock mode applications;

2. IsolatorPi II has the optional 40Pin non-isolated GPIO connector pre-installed. With which, we can connect the possible ESS DAC controller, Ir receiver, the rotary encoder and all other non-audio devices to RPi. The good thing is that all of those devices will become 100% isolated from DAC under this configuration.

3. With IsolaporPi II, now we can power RPi from GPIO (reported better than USB power) through the no-isolated GPIO connector, or, from the +5V and GND Pins beside if that GPIO is occupied.

Ian

IsolatorPiII_1
by Ian, on Flickr
Finally, we can no longer use the USB power!
Old 20th July 2018, 11:49 AM   #349
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IsolatorPi II was tested working perfectly with 502DAC pro.

502DAC Pro is an audiophile grade DAC HAT. The sound quality is amazing. It has almost everything: PCM1792, master mode WM8804, S/PDIF output, balanced/se output, and LME49600 headphone amps. It's the best DAC for RPi so far I've ever listened.

It can benefit the most out of IsolatorPi II because it works in master clock mode. Clean isolated 5V DC power supply will power 502DAC Pro from the IsolatorPi II. 502 DACPro takes awesome current around 1A. Red/Yellow LED will be switching when music switches between 44.1/48KHz Fs groups.

But too bad it's been discontinued. Michael told me that price can not cover the cost. I think it's true.

IsolatorPiIIand502DACpro
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
Interesting. I have just bought one of the early review versions of the new dual PCM1794A DAC from Orchard Audio: The ApplePi DAC. I'm listening to it in a a stack with IsolatorPi and Allo Kali and the sound is very good indeed. It certainly betters my previous RPi faves, which were Allo Kali/Piano 2.1 and Terraberry DAC2.

Last edited by jonners; 20th July 2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 21st July 2018, 02:17 AM   #350
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@jonners,

I had the tour ApplePi DAC here for a short listen. I had it on an Allo.com Isolator & Kali stack, powered with:

- The base RPI via a viaa 5V upgraded K&K Audio low voltage power supply.

- The IsolatorPi and the Kali each powered from another LPS-1 each for 2 total.

- The ApplePi via a dual 5V Stammheim 3||LT3045 board with each side powered from an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2, so 2 in total for the DAC board giving a full 2A output capacity.

I also found it very good, just surpassing Ian's prototype single ES9028Q2M DAC board with Onetics 600R:600R transformers as the output stage in the Joe Rasmussen configuration.

The only drawback for me was a touch of 'digitalitus' to my ears, likely from the DC-DC converters used in the power sections (I experienced similar using a Silent Switcher on the Dial DAC). BUT that doesn't detract from how good it was and I'm not sure others will notice that as I did.

My Soekris DAM 1021 setups surpassed it... and while I didn't have my Buffalo-IIIPro setups running at that time, I've gotten them going since and they do too. BUT all at significantly higher cost for the DACs, output stages (for the BIIPros), and power supplies... and MUCH larger footprint.

I'll be working on the trial version of Ian's UCPi supply this weekend and hope to be powering his prototype DAC with it later this weekend or sometime next week. Curious how his prototype DAC board powered by that!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I also am waiting for the updated Allo Katana. RPi DACs are pushing upwards!

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoderHide this!Advertise here!