Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2017, 08:50 PM   #311
big bird is offline big bird
diyAudio Member

Default HifiBerry Digi+ Pro support

Does the isolator support the hifiberry digi+ pro? According to GPIO usage of HiFiBerry boards – HiFiBerry the following gpio's are used: GPIO2-3 (pins 3 and 5) are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we donít recommend this at all.
GPIOs 18-21 (pins 12, 35, 38 and 40) are used for the sound interface. You canít use them for any other purpose. Pin 38 is actually not used.

On the HiFiBerry Digi+, GPIO16 is also reserved. GPIO16 is not connected according to IsolatorPiUsersManualRev1.0.pdf if it is used by the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro I think it should be connected should it not?
Old 24th October 2017, 12:20 PM   #312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morde View Post
I managed to get my RPI - Isolator HAT - KALI - DDDAC combination up and running late last evening. I tested the functionality with Moode player by playing 24/192, 24/96 and 16/44.1 flac files. All of them worked flawlessly. No critical listening yet.

I'm powering the RPI with forum member mravlca's universal PS and the KALI is powered with mravlca's TPS7A4700 PS. I attached couple of quick and dirty iPhone pics.

Ok, for some reason I'm not able to add pics as an attachment. I'll try later perhaps...

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."
Did you put the isolator in master mode or did you leave it in slave mode?

Regards,

Bert.
Old 26th October 2017, 07:19 PM   #313
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

Hi IanCanada,

I get an IanCanada isolator RPi hat & Clock II board

Would like to know please if this is a proper scheme to reclock the I2S Stream from the RPI by the clock II :

RPI 3 --> IanCanada Pi Hat Isolator --> CLOCK II board --> I2S DAC inputs

Will I Have a reclocking by the clock II board with the RPI 's I2S in master mode without FIFO in between please ? So just more jitter than without FIFO but a least a reclocking at the bit depth/Fs speed of the original material at the output of the clock II board and not the Masterclock things of the RPI ?

Or not at all and I have to slave the board before as seems to mean Big Bird member in the post above mine ?

Many thanks for your help, I'm abit lost...

Last edited by Henderson; 26th October 2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 27th October 2017, 09:03 PM   #314
Morde is offline Morde  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
Did you put the isolator in master mode or did you leave it in slave mode?

Regards,

Bert.
Sorry, but I donít remember anymore. Maybe you should read the DDDAC documentation (and KALI) to see whether it requires master or slave mode from the I2S bus. Iím just happy that my combination produces enjoyable sound.
Old 28th October 2017, 04:26 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morde View Post
Sorry, but I donít remember anymore. Maybe you should read the DDDAC documentation (and KALI) to see whether it requires master or slave mode from the I2S bus. Iím just happy that my combination produces enjoyable sound.
Well I found out for myself. The isoloator has to be put in slave mode otherwise there will not be an I2S signal from the kali.
Old 20th November 2017, 08:57 PM   #316
sckramer is offline sckramer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckramer View Post
Ian, So my replacement works!

Started comparing with a simple i2s source, a raw hifiberry digi+pro (no on board regulation, at least with my beta board).

It's surprisingly easy to hear the improvement even on headphones! It's digging down into the noise, bringing out subtlety. Easier to get into the volume, nice varied leading edge.

Learning that you are not isolating/mirroring all GPIO's. For example this digi+pro relies on GPIO5 (44.1x) and 6 (48x) to select the crystal -- so I set piCorePlayer to sample everything to 48. (It passes thru GPIO6)

I don't plan on using the digi+pro, but thought the digi+pro would be a pretty popular board to use with this...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

PS. I'll send you that half broken board this week.
Hi Ian, just curious, find anything wrong with that board?

ref --> post #300

Last edited by sckramer; 20th November 2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:05 PM   #317
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckramer View Post
Hi Ian, just curious, find anything wrong with that board?

ref --> post #300
Hi Sckramer,

One 0402 resistor was disconnected. Too small to see. Now it's fixed. My test fixture has also been improved to cover this kind of failure.

Regards,
Ian
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:09 PM   #318
audioengr is offline audioengr  United States
diyAudio Member

Ian - is there something in the hardware of the Pi that limits your DSD decoder and isolator to DSD64 or is this only a software limitation?

Also, does your PCM decoder board support 24/384 and therefore DoP DSD128? Does this work with any available software?

Steve N.
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:49 PM   #319
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioengr View Post
Ian - is there something in the hardware of the Pi that limits your DSD decoder and isolator to DSD64 or is this only a software limitation?

Also, does your PCM decoder board support 24/384 and therefore DoP DSD128? Does this work with any available software?

Steve N.
Hi Steve,

Yes, that the limitation of the software that your are using right now.

You can try piCorePlayer audio optimized verson, which is here:
Download - piCorePlayer
for 384KHz/DSD128 support.

An older version of mOOdle supports those format too, please ask Tim for the link to download.

My IsolatorPi is capable for 768KHz/DSD256, so please no worry at all. You just need a suitable software.

Regards,
Ian
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:29 PM   #320
audioengr is offline audioengr  United States
diyAudio Member

Got it. I have to investigate, but I assume I can run PiCoreplayer with Roon Bridge?

So I guess you are saying that you don't have a solution for S/PDIF output to do DSD128 using DoP?

Are all S/PDIF limited to DSD64 using DoP?

Steve N .

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoderHide this!Advertise here!