Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder

Hello Ian and folks,
I want to pimp my Odroid as a source to feed my Chord Mojo, and I though you're reclocker board as well as this new Board or maybe a Combination of both with the reclocker instead of the Native DSD support.
I have a few questions.
Due to Mojos architecture as battery powered DAC which recklockes all Inputs is it reasonable to add both of the boards (isolator and recklocker) or is one maybe not required or won't do a lot for SQ?
Any help appreciated ;)

Cheers

Raspberry Pi I2S/DSD isolator HAT is working

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay of this project. I was moving house.

Actually most of the jobs were done months ago. I just didn't have time to test.

It's working now. Please see pictures for details. I'll do more test for different setups. More updates are coming soon.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC05163C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05163C1Pro.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 1,154
  • DSC05165C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05165C1Pro.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 1,122
  • DSC05166C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05166C1Pro.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 1,128
Beautiful Ian!

Is MCLK an odroid thing in this case?

How close are you to making a run of these boards?

Thanks sckramer,

Yes, mclk is from C1.

The design is very well finished and I can run a GB right away. But I have to confirm it works with DACs in master clock mode before I release it. The sound quality of those DACs will benefit a lot from this isolator when PRi running in slave clock mode.

Regards,
Ian

Joined 2003
Paid Member
GB on these soon?

Also should it work with any downstream R-Pi HAT? I've been playing with the new Allo.com Kali R-Pi Reclocker and while it works very well, it really needs isolation upstream. I'd love to get some of your isolators for that purpose.

The Kali picks up the I2S from the typical expansion header pins. Does your isolator also make the I2S signal available there? (sorry if this has already been answered, I did a quick scan of the thread to check, but might have missed it... wanted to get this into the post before the edit deadline was up!).

LOOKING FORWARD TO THESE!!!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
GB on these soon?

Also should it work with any downstream R-Pi HAT? I've been playing with the new Allo.com Kali R-Pi Reclocker and while it works very well, it really needs isolation upstream. I'd love to get some of your isolators for that purpose.

The Kali picks up the I2S from the typical expansion header pins. Does your isolator also make the I2S signal available there? (sorry if this has already been answered, I did a quick scan of the thread to check, but might have missed it... wanted to get this into the post before the edit deadline was up!).

LOOKING FORWARD TO THESE!!!

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Greg,

Yes, it will work with all R-Pi DACs. I'll test all of them I'm having to confirm.

Regards,
Ian

Me too, me too. Proposed setup:
Odroid C2 --> IanIsoator HAT --> Gustard X20u (I2s input). The HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD interface for the X20u has reversed the wiring of L and R channels on the I2S ports. It looks easy enough to reverse the L and R channels of the IanIsolator HAT, very versatile!

I'm keen to purchase as soon as you have production done.

Works with ODROID

It has two additional 7 PIN I2S ports which are compatible with ODROID, for both input and output. So, it works with ODROID right away. MCLK from ODROID will also be isolated.

Please see pictures for more details.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC05210C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05210C1Pro.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC05205C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05205C1Pro.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 583
  • DSC05207C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05207C1Pro.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 1,298
Many PRi DACs tested working with this isolator

I have many PRi DACs, such as Hifiberry DAC+/DAC light/Digi+ and some others. They all tested working good with this RPi isolator.

This isloater works in transparent mode. It looks as if there is nothing between RPi and DAC for software. So, no any additional driver/layout will be needed.

However DACs running in master clock mode,like Hifiberry DAC+Pro, will need a bi-directional isolator chip. The sound quality of those DACs will be benefit a lot from this isolator when run master mode. I'm working on this upgrade. I'll give you update once I'm down.

Good weekend
Ian

Attachments

• DSC05180C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05180C1Pro.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC05179C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05179C1Pro.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC05181C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05181C1Pro.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 365