Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2016, 12:59 PM   #11
Abartels1965 is offline Abartels1965  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,

Count me in too please, btw, still have troubles with FIFO II, could be a psu problem,
(oscillating), will try BP first.
Old 18th May 2016, 07:36 AM   #12
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Can other PI HAT DACs be put on top of it??
Or at least would there be a "plug-in" option for a small DAC chip as used by HifiBerry IQaudio asf.

I understand that the main intention behind this project is to provide external I2S DACs
with a quality streaming interface.

However. There is huge number of users out there using and loving HAT DACs because of their simplicity. Usually price/performance ratio is outstanding with these DACs too.
Beside that they are very easy to implement.

I know that your solutions or better, solutions around your high quality gadgets, are usually all but easy to implement. "Easy" in terms of not fiddling around with numerous other boards, regulators, power supplies , cables ...

At least from my perspective it would be nice to have a simple stack and forget "transparency layer" that cleans up the mess between my PI and my HAT DAC.
I do have the feeling though that this project won't supply such a solution.

Perhaps a simple "plug-in" DAC daughter board could be developed.
Old 19th May 2016, 01:50 PM   #13
iancanada is online now iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
Can other PI HAT DACs be put on top of it??
Or at least would there be a "plug-in" option for a small DAC chip as used by HifiBerry IQaudio asf.

I understand that the main intention behind this project is to provide external I2S DACs
with a quality streaming interface.

However. There is huge number of users out there using and loving HAT DACs because of their simplicity. Usually price/performance ratio is outstanding with these DACs too.
Beside that they are very easy to implement.

I know that your solutions or better, solutions around your high quality gadgets, are usually all but easy to implement. "Easy" in terms of not fiddling around with numerous other boards, regulators, power supplies , cables ...

At least from my perspective it would be nice to have a simple stack and forget "transparency layer" that cleans up the mess between my PI and my HAT DAC.
I do have the feeling though that this project won't supply such a solution.

Perhaps a simple "plug-in" DAC daughter board could be developed.
Hi soundcheck,

That's a very good point. I have same idea with you.

Yes, this Rpi isolator HAT is originally designed as "transparency layer". That measns all current DAC HAT, such as HifiBerry DAC, DAC+ and DAC Pro, and meany others, will work with this isolator as if there is without this isolator. No any additional overlay or software support will be needed.

By following foundation's HAT specification, all DAC can be stacked on top of my RPi isolator. Because all GPIO connectors and dimensions are as same as a RPi.

So, all RPi DAC users can enjoy this isolator by just simple stacking it over a Raspberry Pi, then their DAC HAT.

It's "easy". Just hope you are happy with it.

Regards,
Ian
Old 19th May 2016, 03:04 PM   #14
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
So, all RPi DAC users can enjoy this isolator by just simple stacking it over a Raspberry Pi, then their DAC HAT.

It's "easy". Just hope you are happy with it.

Regards,
Ian
Sounds great to me , I'm very interested.
Old 19th May 2016, 10:34 PM   #15
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

But still applicable for those of us who want to use FIFO,iso,double clock,PCm board with Odroid?
Old 20th May 2016, 05:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thx Ian.

Great that you clarified the subject.

That makes it a very interesting project.

Beside that those or new HAT DACs can be made much less sophisticated since you'd cover that part.

Is your board available?
Old 20th May 2016, 08:14 AM   #17
simon dart is offline simon dart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post

Yes, this Rpi isolator HAT is originally designed as "transparency layer". That measns all current DAC HAT, such as HifiBerry DAC, DAC+ and DAC Pro, and meany others, will work with this isolator as if there is without this isolator. No any additional overlay or software support will be needed.

Fantastic Ian! Thanks for sharing this with us. Subscribed!
Old 20th May 2016, 09:13 AM   #18
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Great project. Following with interest. Will you offer these boards as bare pcb`s or fully/partially populated pcb`s ?
Old 20th May 2016, 10:47 AM   #19
simon dart is offline simon dart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,

Excuse me if I'm being dim but I'm unclear from your block diagram. Will both the 3.3v and the 5v feeds to the stacked Rpi HAT DAC be isolated from the Rpi and fed regulated power from your isolator?
Old 20th May 2016, 11:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I had the same question in mind.

e.g. My HifiBerry DAC+ Pro uses the poor 3.3V (both pins) from RPI to power VDD and the clocks. And that's hardwired.

As far as I understood Ians blockdiagramm there'll be a clean 5V and 3.3V made available.
That seems to cover my situation.

But then I'm asking myself what supply voltage would be required for the board on the
clean side. Obviously something >5V e.g. 7V minimum DC would be needed.

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoderHide this!Advertise here!