Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

PeppyMeter
PeppyMeter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2021, 11:34 PM   #431
fdealexa is offline fdealexa  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Phofman, hi ALL,
I confirm that the log is in verbose mode.
As mentioned I had built a system, without any additional DAC board, from scratch and tested it in the following modes:
01. without peppyalsa. the sound very good
02. with peppyalsa: slave on hw:0,0. Peppyalsa is ok, but the sound is not good
03. with peppyalsa: slave on null. Peppyalsa is not ok, the sound is very good.

I did all the tests modifying the mpd.conf manually and restarting MPD only.
Tomorrow I will do the same tests with the system with the additional DAC board.
Regards and thanks,
Francesco
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:12 AM   #432
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

There must be something else going on in the configuration.

Let's talk about 02. The config has all alsa outputs, yet mpd.log shows using/opening only:

Code:
Jan 21 21:03 : output: opened "ALSA default" (alsa) audio_format=44100:16:2
Jan 21 21:03 : output: opened "peppyalsa" (alsa) audio_format=44100:24:2
Now look at PeppyMeter , peppyalsa OK - no DAC. mpd.conf contains the same devices (just peppyalsa second, not last), yet the log shows:

Code:
Jan 18 23:58 : output: opened "ALSA default" (alsa) audio_format=44100:16:2
Jan 18 23:58 : output: opened "peppyalsa" (alsa) audio_format=44100:24:2
Jan 18 23:58 : output: opened "ALSA crossfeed" (alsa) audio_format=44100:24:2
Jan 18 23:58 : output: opened "ALSA parametric eq" (alsa) audio_format=44100:24:2
Jan 18 23:58 : output: opened "ALSA graphic eq" (alsa) audio_format=44100:24:2
Jan 18 23:58 : output: opened "ALSA polarity inversion" (alsa) audio_format=44100:16:2
How do you control which outputs are used/opened?
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:19 AM   #433
diyAudio Member

Hi Phofman,
I built those 3 new tests to have a clean situation. Previous configurations may have been generated from strange and layered tests. If you need I can try to reproduce it, I have the relative SD. I don't know why all the "alsa" were opened. Those "alsa" are related to some functions available on the moOde GUI that I have never enabled.
I would like, today, if you have no other urgent requests, simulate tests 02 and 03 on the configuration with the additional DAC, to see if "device busy" appears again, that means two different behaviors.
Have a nice day and thank you,
Francesco
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:16 PM   #434
diyAudio Member

Hi Phofman,
As scheduled, I built these 3 new tests (as for the configuration without the DAC board) with the additional DAC board,to have a clean situation. Unfortunately, but as expected, the "device busy" appears again, so the big difference is that without the DAC we can configure and send data to the HW:0,0, that seems to be impossible with the additional DAC board. I confirm that with a "null" as a slave, peppy alsa opens the fifo file but does not send data.
Thank you and best regards,
Francesco
Old Today, 03:22 PM   #435
diyAudio Member

Hello Phofman and hello to everybody,
I did the same tests already done on a system without "any DAC" board and on another system with the "AUDIOPHONICS DAC", on another system with an "ALLO DAC" and the results are the same.
Please find attached the results of these last tests. would you please be so kind to help me with any other suggestion?
Thanks and best regards,
Francesco
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #436
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

There is no reason a different sound device with a single substream (incapable of stream mixing) should behave differently.

I keep repeating my question with no answer: why does mpd not try to open the invpolarity device, while it does try to open peppyalsa? Why is MPD handling these two devices differently? There must be something else controlling which devices are used and which are ignored.

Nevertheless, why can't you remove the ALSA default device from MPD config and play through the peppyalsa device which should be passing samples to hw:0 (being its slave)?
  Reply to this post

PeppyMeterHide this!Advertise here!