Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Peppy player
Peppy player
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2019, 07:37 PM   #51
johnyradio is offline johnyradio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpi View Post
- Implemented Equalizer UI.
Equalizer UI * project-owner/Peppy.doc Wiki * GitHub
Equalizer functionality was based on ALSA Equalizer
plugin. UI has five pre-defined frequency profiles for such music genres as Classical,
Jazz, Pop, Rock, Contemporary. Here is the screenshot showing Equalizer UI:

Click the image to open in full size.
Can equalizer be installed on Linux as a standalone app, without any of the other software, and without the hardware?

thx
Old 21st September 2019, 09:07 PM   #52
rpi is offline rpi  United States
diyAudio Member

Peppy player is using Alsaequal ALSA plugin. I believe it can be installed on any Linux distribution. I used the following command to install it on Raspbian OS using apt-get package manager:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y libasound2-plugin-equal
You can use a package manager specific for your Linux distribution.

Then you need to add Equalizer plugin to your ALSA audio chain in file .asoundrc located in your user folder. Here is the example of that file:
Peppy.doc/.asoundrc-equal at master * project-owner/Peppy.doc * GitHub

The type of plugin is 'equal'.

When all that done you can set different bands from command line. The following page describes the whole process:
Adding equalization using alsaeq | HiFiBerry

And here is the player code snippet for setting equalizer band values:
Peppy/util.py at 5ed7747c5864bf7516f713cd50fdc3ff1a3f0f73 * project-owner/Peppy * GitHub
Old 21st September 2019, 09:19 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Thx @rpi. I've already got alsaequal running on my arch.

But the eq is a terminal gui. I'd like to get the peppy EQ GUI. That's the only part of peppy I want, actually.

Old 21st September 2019, 09:26 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

It's a part of the player right now. If you have Python programming skills you can make it as a stand-alone app. I did that for VU-Meter. Originally it was also the part of the player then I created stand-alone app.
Old 21st September 2019, 09:30 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

unfortunately, i don't program python. thx tho'

There's the alsamixergui, but it doesn't seem to persist L-R locking on the EQ bands, when you re-open it. That's an inconvenience. And not as pretty as yours
Old 26th October 2019, 06:00 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

I've just added two new projects to the Gallery.

Portable player by Francesco (Italy):
Gallery * project-owner/PeppyPlayers.doc Wiki * GitHub

Herbert's Küchenradio (Germany):
Gallery * project-owner/PeppyPlayers.doc Wiki * GitHub

Old 26th October 2019, 07:20 PM   #57
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Simply amazing.

How do the voice commands work? Do you have to own the tracks, or does it fetch from google?
Old 26th October 2019, 10:30 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Thank you!

The player is using Google Assistant, which is a web service:

In case of web services (Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Facebook Wit etc) the whole speech recognition logic is hosted on the corresponding web site. You just get recognized text and react in your software accordingly.

There are some speech recognition systems which can run locally on your machine and don't need the Internet access. I've tried one of them - PocketSphinx:
GitHub - cmusphinx/pocketsphinx: PocketSphinx is a lightweight speech recognition engine, specifically tuned for handheld and mobile devices, though it works equally well on the desktop
That was not so good experience. Its out-of-the-box functionality is almost unusable. You need to teach/train the model. But how you can deploy the software which will need that from each user? Though for your personal usage you can probably do that.
The new engine appeared recently: Snips | Voice AI Platform
But I suspect it's based on the PocketSphinx.

I'm trying to refactor the voice assistant in the player. Hopefully in the next release it will be more usable.

Last edited by rpi; 26th October 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:22 PM   #59
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

OK, but then you have to parse the received text and make sense of the commands. Sounds pretty AI to me. Do you have a fixed format, or do you use some AI tricks? In any case this direction makes your project a different league.
Old 27th October 2019, 12:15 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

The voice assistant in the player executes simple navigation commands like 'go home', 'go back', 'play', 'pause' etc. That doesn't need too much AI It just receives the recognized text and checks if that text/command belongs to the current screen. If it does then it executes that navigation command.

The next level will be more complicated commands for example 'play pink floyd album wish you were here'. Even in this case you can just break the sentence into groups and react accordingly. More advanced approach is to create intent using web service and it will apply that logic for you and it will return something like this:
{intent: "play", artist: "pink floyd", album: "wish you were here"}. Then using this info you just lookup in your collection. Here is example:
Wit.ai

Peppy playerHide this!Advertise here!