wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

I do not hear anything tonally different but I get a sense of greater stability.

Similar to what happens with a turntable when a superior bearing is installed.

Very subtle but my subconscious is very aware of it.

As always, THANKS for WTF and even greater thanks for your continuing to improve it.

Take care,

Is there a way to get WTF to re-use commands? Instead of recording every command you have ever made could it retain the oft used commands only once?

I have collected lots of wtfcuis and wtfplaylists it seems for every album I have played since installing the latest release.

When one likes trying different configurations like pcm and dsd one has to scroll through lots of cui and playlists to get back to one of those configuration commands.

Would be very good to have it re-use commands instead of endlessly copying them.

Am I missing something or is this just how it is?

If it would not mess things up it would be a convenience that would make the player easier to use.

THANKS, frd

Rick,

The command line history can be browsed with UP/DOWN arrow keys.

You can also reverse-search for any command that was executed before by pressing CTRL+R and typing any part of the previously entered command. Searching may require a bit of practice, but it is extremely useful.

F

I guess I was not clear, frd.

I have no problem searching the history.

I was hoping there was a way to remove the duplicates.

Between my configuration commands for pcm and dsd there are tens and tens of wtfcui and wtfplaylist.

What I was wondering if there was a way to pare it down and have it stay permanently only one of each, only.

I suspect there isn't but it would be good if it was.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

No, not at all.

Maybe what i am experiencing is not usual?

Every time I ask for a selection to play there will be a new wtfcui and wtfplaylist put in the command cache for lack of not knowing the correct term.\

At this point there are hundreds of each. One wonder where they are kept? Wherever they are kept one would assume they must be loaded into the RAM which seems to be a waste of space.

I just thought of something - I rarely turn the computer off - maybe there is some cleaning out of these duplicates at shutdown though I do not remember that happening in my case.

One would think there is a place where these things are stored. Sure would be nice to be able to access the location and clean them out.

Does your installation not retain every command you have ever made?

I know I could re-install the OS to the card and be rid of them but then i have to retype them in and the process begins again..

Thanks and take care,

Rick,

The command line history is maintained by shell process and is kept in RAM. The maximum number of command line history entries is limited to 255. Once that limit is reached the oldest history entries are replaced with the most recent ones.

I would say that the memory footprint of the shell command history is negligible and I would not worry about that.

Normally, a full featured shell, such as 'bash', has option to clear the history. However, wtfplay-live runs a very limited shell environment that does not support that operation.

I hope that this helps.

F

Dear frd,

I figured the ability to maintain those was deleted which is just fine with me.

I think the smaller the OS the better.

So eventually even the commands I want to keep will be deleted ... oh, well.

Now I do not have to think about this ever again.

Thanks for the help and of course thanks, yet again, for the player.

alsamixer

Hi _frd
I installed the latest version of wtfplay-live 0.7.5.
Unfortunately alsamixer is no longer working:
"cannot open mixer: no such file or directory"

I believe it has something to do with "head" and "awk" sound cards (?) because when I run command:
snd

head: /proc/asound/card0/id: no such file or directory
awk: /proc/asound/card0/pcm?p/info: no such file or directory

Before I used 0.7.3 and alsamixer also didn't work - same message I think - when I tried to disable onboard audio card from wtf.

The onboard card is now disabled from bios.
I tried to enable it and it is shown in the list but I have the same message.

Could you please help? I am using the mixer to lower the volume of my dac.

Thank you.

problem solved

Tested -c and -D, both are working perfectly. Thank you! Problem solved :)

_frd,

I think there is a "sort of a problem" with Shift+F.
- press Shift+F to clear the list
- TAB to the left pane, move to a different folder
- Shift+A to add all files
- TAB to right pane (playlist) will not go to the first file. Seems like it goes to the file number = number of deleted files.

Thank you.

Dear frd__,

First thanks for this awesome Player, Sound is astonishing !

I have a question about reading WAV file...
if i convert a wavepack (192 /32f) to wav 32f (With foobar for example), The wav is not readable through WTFCUI (Default settings)
but if i convert a wavepack (192 /32f) to wav 24, The wav is readable through WTFCUI (Default settings)

Does-it mean that Wav 32f are not readable or something went wrong during the convertion process ?

Regards
Thanks !

Can wtfplay use two USB devices simultaneously?

I am using xilica DSP in my system - one per channel.

I am curious to hear this new mini-dsp device which looks to be a much better device from their other offerings. SHD - Audiophile Digital Audio Processor

No way I can get only one to work - I need four outputs per channel.

These can accept analogue inputs but it would be interesting to hear how it would sound with the digital signal straight in.

Any way wtfplay could "supply" two USB devices at once?